Things to see near Boston cruise terminal

Educators2

We have an overnight in Boston on July 4-5. We have to be back to the ship by 12:30 pm. on July 5. Are there any places to visit that are a short walk from the terminal?

We have been to Boston many times and have seen the historic sites.

Thanks.

While Boston is a fine city for walking around, and you can get nearly everywhere walking, there isn't a great deal near the terminal, especially in the morning. Harpoon brewery gives tours, but not sure what time. Yankee Lobster does fine seafood in the rough, but starts at lunch. About a mile walk is the Institute of Contemporary Art. About a 2 mile walk will get you to Castle Island and Fort Independence, a nice park on the waterfront with lots of history. The neighborhood to walk through is safe, but not real "scenic".

World Trade Center is within walking distance. There are some nice exhibitions time to time.

Also there are some nice waterfront seafood restaurants like No Name and Legal Seafood., Barking Crab etc.

Water Taxi doesn't take you to Salem, the Salem Ferry takes you to Salem.

I second Castle Island. It's one of our favorite places in the Boston area to take guests who have 'seen it all'

Head over to the North End, it's a ten-minute cab ride and there are dozens of great restaurants, pastry shops and side streets to explore. It's like a slice of old Italy in downtown Boston, don't miss it.

When you're done checking out the North End, stroll over to the nearby Boston Aquarium.

We'll be on the QM2 docked right next to you guys. I'll be the one with the red, white and blue tie. :D

Jonathan

It seems some posters are getting confused about whether the OP is asking for suggestions for what to do close to the pier on the morning of the July 5 12:30 pm (noon-ish) departure, which may be too early to include lunch beforehand, or for the July 4 day (full day?) which could take them further afield.

OP, if you "have seen the historic sites", did that include walking through the North End to the Paul Revere House (so posters can think of alternatives nearby)?

You've gotten some good suggestions so far.

I was curious about July 5 when we only have the morning and many places open at 10:a.m. We don't want to worry about getting back to port late. We have been to the North End.

I just found out that the travel agency I booked with has a free four hour excursion on July 4 so we will take advantage of that experience and re-visit some historic sites.(That tour includes the museums at Harvard and the North End.)

So, my question was only for day two. Thanks for your help, so far.

What might be the taxi situation be like on July 4? Will they be scarce? Will traffic be heavy? If we took a cab from the cruise terminal to the north end, would it be difficult to get a taxi for the return ride?

Traffic in the North End, Faneuil Hall area, Scollay Square/Government District is just about always nuts. Taxis will be available, you'll have to call for one, Uber and Lyft will be out in force that day. I would walk the just under a mile to South Station or the half mile to the TD Garden to get a cab.

We love to take a stroll through Boston. Last Saturday my Mom and I leisurely walked from North End to Flynn port for about an hour and a half.

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.7gables.org/about/history/the-house-of-the-seven-gables/

Use the water taxi to visit House of the Seven Gables and historic Salem MA. While it's not near the Flynn Cruise Terminal, it's easy access using the water route.

Darcy

Technically this is not a water taxi; the water taxis are local to the general Boston harbor area routes.

It is a ferry:

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/salem-ferry/salem-ferry/#schedules-and-rates