Renting a car in Shimizu

capebretoneratlarge

We were recently in Shimizu where we were welcomed in a lavish ceremony at Hinode Wharf. Shimizu Tourism had set up several tents along the pier with info on local sights, things to do, transport options and area maps. There was info on bus routes/schedules and I saw a few taxis at the port as well as tour operators offering day trips by car. I didn't notice any rental cars. It seemed to me that most passengers were either walking, going by bus or taking ship shorex. Maybe ask the Tourism folks if there are any local rental agencies or if it's worth going to nearby JR Shimizu Station?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. The rental agency is at the train station. Good to know there are taxis at the pier.

We are going to be at shimizu in October. Also wanted to see Mt Fuji. Was considering taking the bullet train day tour from Tokyo to see Mt Fuji. However if we can get there easier from shimizu I'd rather not waste any of my Tokyo days.

What did you end up doing? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tocoo has a decent (maybe the only) English-language website for renting cars in Japan. I've used them many times. https://www2.tocoo.jp/en/

You need to know rather a lot of Japanese geography to specify the pickup location: Shimizu is in Shizuoka prefecture, and Shimizu station on the Tokaido Main Line of Central Japan Railway would be the place you want.

Then head up to Kawaguchigo in the Fuji Five Lakes region: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6900.html

You need an international license ($15 from AAA) to rent a car in Japan.

Edited by someotherguy
spelling

Yes, they're very particular about the licence. Having booked from there, they ask multiple times in the process (and it has to be the right version as well i.e. referring to a specific year's convention).