Sea glass - all 8 pieces confiscated - don't waste your time!

#1TravelMom

We visited sea glass beach. My little girl collects shells, unique rocks, etc. We told her she could chose a few rocks and one piece of each color of glass. NCL is really searching for these for some reason. They said because it brings bacteria on board. They saw one small rock at the bottom of my bag and a few stones and 4 pieces of glass throughout my daughter's bag. They also asked us to pat our pockets. I suppose you could find areas on your person to sneak some on board "prison style", but if they can find it - it's gone.

So, if you want to go see the glass just to see it - fine. But, don't count on getting it on board. The person on NCL said that they have become very strict with shells, stones, and glass. I jut thought I'd post because I know people walk to this beach in the blazing sun along treacherous roads to collect glass.

Also, I saw no sign saying that it couldn't be removed. I know others have said there is a sign.

I never saw such signs, but I suppose they might be there. In any case, for NCL to say beach glass is banned because it might bring bacteria aboard is simply absurd. Do they make you wipe the bottoms of your shoes?

I wonder if some of their on-board shops sell beach glass and they want to encourage those purchases - the way they push soft drink and bottled water sales.

We visited sea glass beach. My little girl collects shells, unique rocks, etc. We told her she could chose a few rocks and one piece of each color of glass. NCL is really searching for these for some reason. They said because it brings bacteria on board. They saw one small rock at the bottom of my bag and a few stones and 4 pieces of glass throughout my daughter's bag. They also asked us to pat our pockets. I suppose you could find areas on your person to sneak some on board "prison style", but if they can find it - it's gone.

So, if you want to go see the glass just to see it - fine. But, don't count on getting it on board. The person on NCL said that they have become very strict with shells, stones, and glass. I jut thought I'd post because I know people walk to this beach in the blazing sun along treacherous roads to collect glass.

Also, I saw no sign saying that it couldn't be removed. I know others have said there is a sign.

There was a sign unless it has come down.

The NCL explanation makes no sense. It is illegal in Bermuda to take it and I believe that is why NCL and the other cruise lines confiscate it. The NCL personal are probably just following orders without knowing the reason for them.

In any case thank you for posting your experience.

3fa76554745e1abd9dc633b516ba47ce.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

I never saw such signs, but I suppose they might be there. In any case, for NCL to say beach glass is banned because it might bring bacteria aboard is simply absurd. Do they make you wipe the bottoms of your shoes?

I wonder if some of their on-board shops sell beach glass and they want to encourage those purchases - the way they push soft drink and bottled water sales.

Bermuda has made it unlawful to remove the sea glass and the cruise lines have been cooperating. There is probably an agreement or understanding with the Bermudian government.

So, if you want to go see the glass just to see it - fine. But, don't count on getting it on board. The person on NCL said that they have become very strict with shells, stones, and glass. I jut thought I'd post because I know people walk to this beach in the blazing sun along treacherous roads to collect glass..

That being said....do you think it was worth going? Do you have any pictures you can share? Is it a swimming beach? TIA!

That being said....do you think it was worth going? Do you have any pictures you can share? Is it a swimming beach? TIA!

Here is a picture of the sea glass beach posted by another CC member whose name I can't recall:

sea-glass-beach-royal-dockyard.jpg

IMHO, it is a beach in name only.

SBtS

There was a sign unless it has come down.

The NCL explanation makes no sense. It is illegal in Bermuda to take it and I believe that is why NCL and the other cruise lines confiscate it. The NCL personal are probably just following orders without knowing the reason for them.

In any case thank you for posting your experience.

3fa76554745e1abd9dc633b516ba47ce.jpg

Interesting sign - there is no reason why the Bermuda authorities should not maintain such a tourist attraction; but to refer to it as "...NATURAL sea glass." is kind of silly. The glass is the result of bottles and jars dumped in the water over the years -_ all man made. Of course the wave motion and friction with the sand which smooths and polishes the pieces is a natural process.

On the Massachussetts, Connecticut and New York shorelines collecting sea glass is very common. Clear, brown and green are the most common - originally beer and wine bottles, then blue - probably Bromo Seltzer and milk of magnesia bottles, a few yellow bits from some pharmacy and cosmetics containers. The rarest are red: possibly from port running lights from shipwrecks or tail lights from cars which might have driven off piers.

I have a clear glass table lamp filled with such pieces collected over the years - with my one red piece gleaming on one side.

I have a clear glass table lamp filled with such pieces collected over the years - with my one red piece gleaming on one side.

The ban of taking the sea glass in Bermuda came about not because tourists were picking up a few pieces. Some people began filling up bags with the glass. One lady bragged on Facebook about doing so and had a jewelry business. Greed ruined it for everyone else.

Interesting sign - there is no reason why the Bermuda authorities should not maintain such a tourist attraction; but to refer to it as "...NATURAL sea glass." is kind of silly. The glass is the result of bottles and jars dumped in the water over the years -_ all man made. Of course the wave motion and friction with the sand which smooths and polishes the pieces is a natural process.

They are probably distinguishing it from the man-made "sea glass" sold to unsuspecting tourists off the beach.

They are probably distinguishing it from the man-made "sea glass" sold to unsuspecting tourists off the beach.

Yes, there actually is artificially created sea glass which has different qualities than the Natural Sea glass which was created in the ocean. The natural sea glass has become harder to find so some artists have been creating it artificially, but the artificial glass is not as good and has different qualities than the natural glass. I used to wonder why Bermuda would care about what I thought of as garbage being taken but after doing research on the glass after the brouhaha about the lady who was collecting bags of it and taking it home to the US I understand why Bermuda objects to the taking of the glass. There is not an infinite supply of the natural glass, and the natural glass is prized by artisans. It is becoming scarcer and it has value. Taking it wrong.