Which side of Harbour for HK pre cruise stage

Holabi

Six of one, half a dozen of the other! I like to be near an MTR station so I can get around Hong Kong easily. Like loeb we stayed at the Salisbury YMCA last time and it was a great location, and a very decent hotel, comfortable and clean.

How are you getting to the cruise ship? If you have hotel to ship transfer already set up then it's all good.

Having said that IMO the scenery is better from a harbor view room from the Kowloon side looking over to HK island; but what do I know I always seem to get a harbor view room from the HK side ;)

I'll happily agree with the others. Trim sha tsui, which is the tip of the peninsula of Kowloon. Great views of the HK skyline, esp for the 8pm nightly laser show.

And I'll agree with the Salisbury - forget the irrelevant YMCA tag, it's a very good 3+ star hotel that we stayed at, close to the cross-harbour ferry terminal and a 5 minute walk from Nathan Road. And excellent value. Upper floor rooms have a great Harbour view - lower floors obstructed by the Space Centre across the road. If you have a Harbourview room ask at reception about which radio station plays the music to accompany the laser show, and play it on the radio in your room - it really makes a difference to your enjoyment of the show.

JB :)

Thank you all for your help. We have now booked the Harbour Grand Kowloon. We have yet to sort out travel from airport to hotel and then hotel to cruise port!!

From your hotel website:

Visit Harbour Plaza Hotels and Resorts Airport Counter in the Main Arrivals Hall, Counter B05a, where you can contact our airport representatives for assistance.

• Airport Shuttle Bus: HK$150 per person, operates every 30 minutes from airport to Hotel
  • Hotel Limousine: Direct Mercedes Benz to and from the Airport and Hotel. HK$700 per trip or HK$1,400 per round trip.
  • Airport Express: HK$90 per person to Kowloon Station. Complimentary shuttle from station to Hotel every 12 minutes.

Plus there's always a taxi.

Taxi to take you to the cruise port is the simplest; just have someone at the hotel desk write down the cruise port in Chinese and have the doorman tell the driver where you want to go.

And I'll agree with the Salisbury - forget the irrelevant YMCA tag, it's a very good 3+ star hotel that we stayed at ...
For anyone who's interested in the story, the YMCA used to operate from an old (1920s) building (see the image below). By the early 1970s, the building had become impractical, and so the site was redeveloped. The tourist-grade hotel was included in the building as a commercial enterprise that could generate funds for the YMCA proper and its activities, making the most of the building's location without simply selling out to a rapacious property developer.

I've only ever spent one night there, though, and that was only because I had overindulged in a nearby bar and crashed on the spare bed in my cousin's room. And at 7 am, I threw myself into a taxi to get home and went back to bed. So I'm not the best person to review it - but it did the job and I didn't have any complaints. :D

hrmnsz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
For anyone who's interested in the story, the YMCA used to operate from an old (1920s) building (see the image below). By the early 1970s, the building had become impractical, and so the site was redeveloped. The tourist-grade hotel was included in the building as a commercial enterprise that could generate funds for the YMCA proper and its activities, making the most of the building's location without simply selling out to a rapacious property developer.

I've only ever spent one night there, though, and that was only because I had overindulged in a nearby bar and crashed on the spare bed in my cousin's room. And at 7 am, I threw myself into a taxi to get home and went back to bed. So I'm not the best person to review it - but it did the job and I didn't have any complaints. :D

hrmnsz.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You might do a search - this topic has been covered a number of times, see one thread below. We have been to Hong Kong four times and always stay on the Kowloon Side. Last time we stayed at the Salisbury YMCA near Ocean Terminal and the Star Ferry terminal.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2188266

We had a fabulous dinner on the rooftop of the YMCA a few years back! Will be in HK next March for cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

hrmnsz.jpg

The location of the Y is amazing.

It has some taller parts now, and there are also some buildings in front of it, so height of the room is important, if you want a view of the "Hong Kong" side.

And note: Those two "buildings" just behind the Y?

Those are the two "front wings" of the original Peninsula Hotel, the Grand Dame of the area.

That Y is in mighty good company :)

And note: Those two "buildings" just behind the Y?

Those are the two "front wings" of the original Peninsula Hotel, the Grand Dame of the area.

That Y is in mighty good company :)

Yes, the Peninsula has always been THE hotel in Hong Kong.

It's fun to check its rates and compare them to the Salisbury next door.

But the Salisbury doesn't have a fleet of Rolls Royces to collect you from the airport. ;)

JB :)

If you want a truly unique experience, consider staying at the Ritz Carlton on the top floors of the International Commerce Center (it's suppose to be the highest hotel in the world.) The rate per night is about USD $500. There is a high end shopping mall connected to the hotel called Elements with an Ice Skating Rink and an MTR station (this station also has an airline check in counter that you can check your luggage for most airlines and then take the MRT to the airport and not worry about carting your luggage around. When you get off the MTR at the airport there is a bridge / walk way that connects you to the departure level of the airport.

We didn't stay at the Ritz Carlton, but stayed at the W Hotel which is next door and the rates are over $300 a night.

• 6 months later...
I can now actually review it properly, having just spent three nights there. It's a rather more comfortable place than I remember, and not just because I was sober this time; I think the rooms must have had some upgrades! It's certainly as good as any chain hotel of its class, and much better than many. And the staff were all friendly and welcoming. The main downside is that it's not as cheap as I was expecting it to be. That may in part have been because of the time of year, but for its location it was still not a bad price.