Clothing for April cruise around Japan

njguy_south

I have never been to the far east. I will be sailing Cunard's Queen Elizabeth in April 2019, circumnavigating Japan.

Generally, what types of clothes should I wear for shore excursions, considering the time of year? Part of the trip includes South Korea. Would jeans be warm enough? Should I wear regular slacks/pants? Shorts -- are they acceptable public attire in Japan? Long sleeve or short sleeve shirts? Will I need a sweater?

Just curious, since I have not been to Japan before and will br travelling in April. A friend has said it may be cold.

I have never been to the far east. I will be sailing Cunard's Queen Elizabeth in April 2019, circumnavigating Japan.

Generally, what types of clothes should I wear for shore excursions, considering the time of year? Part of the trip includes South Korea. Would jeans be warm enough? Should I wear regular slacks/pants? Shorts -- are they acceptable public attire in Japan? Long sleeve or short sleeve shirts? Will I need a sweater?

Just curious, since I have not been to Japan before and will br travelling in April. A friend has said it may be cold.

We were in Japan and South (and border of North) Korea this April. It was chilly. Jeans are perfect. Too cold for shorts. For me (female) wore light sweaters and (nice) sweatshirts. Wore athleisure (dressier work out clothes) and always had a lightweight bubble jacket which I could tie around my waist.

Sent from my dogs' iPad using Tapabark.

Just a data point: We've been to Japan a half dozen or so times, most recently this past late April only in Tokyo. Found the weather to be cool in the mornings and evenings but surprisingly warm during mid-day in the sun (too hot for a jacket). We wore shorts in the morning and changed to jeans in the evening.

Bring spring clothes, jacket or sweater. Tokyo was quite hot end of April, beginning of May. Other ports we needed pants, long sleeves or light jacket. Evenings cooler.

Bring spring clothes, jacket or sweater. Tokyo was quite hot end of April, beginning of May. Other ports we needed pants, long sleeves or light jacket. Evenings cooler.

+1. We're from SoCal and I'm expecting Tokyo to be like SoCal in the early spring but with a bit more humidity (ie: temps in the mid to upper 60s). I'd normally wear shorts and a t-shirt in those kinds of temps where Mrs. BigWally would probably want to wear pants and a jacket.

I expect it to get cooler as we travel north (hence cherry blossoms in Hakodate in late April to early May while the Tokyo blossoms would reach full bloom in late March or early April).

Of course all that conjecture could go out the window with inclement weather. So I guess pack for anything and layer? However, I wouldn't think you'd need the heaviest of woolens unless, like us, you're also visiting Alaska on the way home?

• 2 weeks later...