Can we really dress up on formal nights?

Kat19702

My husband and I are hoping to dress up as in formal gown and tuxedo. It seems most of the cruise lines are very lax and most people prefer casual wear to the extreme that even jeans are acceptable on chic or formal nights. Can we dress up and not feel out of place on a Princess cruise? If so, which ship is best for this?

Any Princess ship you sail on will feature a variety of "formal" on formal night.

Anything from tuxedos to kilts to dress uniforms to jeans:o for the guys.

Women usually have a little more bling no matter what they're wearing. You'll see nice pant suits, saris, cocktail dresses and true formal gowns.

Go hog wild. It's your cruise and no one will stare, unless you're wearing a fig leaf.:evilsmile:

I would say any destination other than Alaska tends to be a bit less formal. We do formal nights and most people abide by the rules that Princess sets. Despite what is talked about here. We do late traditional dining so that also may have an impact on how people dress. The only cruise where there were people not dressed formal and dinning in the dining room was Alaska and some people dressed casual all the time even on non formal nights. The cruises that we have done that have the most formally dressed are cruises out of Southampton were people can drive to port and luggage weight is not an issue.

You will not feel out of place if you dress formal. As said most wear formal wear on formal nights. Just go and have a great cruise and bring home wonderful memories.

I commend anyone that chooses to dress up to the nines. You will look great so don't be surprised if people say WOW & offer compliments. Be sure & visit the various photo stations for photos.

Which ship & cruise will you be on?

Tom😀

My husband and I are hoping to dress up as in formal gown and tuxedo. It seems most of the cruise lines are very lax and most people prefer casual wear to the extreme that even jeans are acceptable on chic or formal nights. Can we dress up and not feel out of place on a Princess cruise? If so, which ship is best for this?

Yes you can, we are elite on Princess 25 cruises my dh would not leave home without his tux, dinner jacket and sometimes a suite if we are on a long cruise... not every one does... but we do... we now eat in the Crown Grill most nights vs the MDR... and still dress up most nights... it is something we enjoy.

I agree with someone else that responded to book one of the specialty dining restaurants on the form nights!

We always do tux and gown. Dressing up for dinner is one of the reasons we love to cruise!

We agree, dressing up for formal nights for us is enjoyable and part of our cruise experience.

Please dress up as formal asyou like and enjoy yourself. After all why should you care what others think or look like. Have fun on all your days and nights on your cruise.

While I wore simply a nice business suit and tie, many did have tuxedos which I unequivocally consider EXTREMELY appropriate and wonderfully traditional. You (folks) will feel good about yourselves and you'll raise the enjoyment level of every attendee who are or aren't wearing them also. Definitely do (wear these)!

We both like to dress up for formal or elegant nights. it's a throwback to old cruising when people relaxed and enjoyed themselves. Nowadays the new breed of cruisers go to have fun and drink a lot and are really missing out on the elegance of cruising. But to each his own.

I think the suggestion of visiting a specialty restaurant on a formal night is excellent. While, theoretically, there is no formal dress requirement for the specialty restaurants, people generally get into the spirit--they want to dine elegantly and they want to dress elegantly. The "shabbiest" dress I've seen in a specialty restaurant on formal nights have been sports coats. I have never seen jeans, but I would not disagree with anybody who testifies otherwise. I'm sure it happens.

The very first time we tried the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, we booked it for a formal night. This was unintentional, but, even though we did not leave our cabin, we dressed up. When the lead waitress met us that evening, she was completely thrilled that we did so. Now, she was really in the spirit, and it was a truly excellent experience.

Dress in your best and have a great time.

What a wonderfully refreshing question to ask! There are soooooooooooooooooooooooo many threads where people don't want to dress for formal night and, if course, there are folks who always tell them to wear whatever they like and ignore dressing nicely for formal nights.. It's so nice to see people asking if they will be OK dressing up. YES, YES YES! You will be absolutely fine dressing up. We always see some men in a Tuxedo and women in nice Gowns. I don't own a tux but do wear a dark suit - sometimes with the vest and sometimes without. (I usually omit the vest when my weight has once again swung into the upper reaches. Sigh...)

Feel free to dress to the "nines" if you wish & ignore the dress slackers. If they get nasty, feel free to report them to the mods. They'll handle them quickly. As to which ship..Kind of a toughie, as we only did the Regal. We found most pax made some effort to comply, which mostly meant suit coat & tie.There were some tuxes, but generally less than20%. You'll find the European cruises tend to be more formal, as they have a more European crowd who prefer to dress up.

While I wore simply a nice business suit and tie, many did have tuxedos which I unequivocally consider EXTREMELY appropriate and wonderfully traditional. You (folks) will feel good about yourselves and you'll raise the enjoyment level of every attendee who are or aren't wearing them also. Definitely do (wear these)!

Thank you so much!! We will for sure be dressed to the nines!

Yes you can!! My wife and I always do. Just look at my picture. I like to wear my tux.

I have cruise on 11 Princess ships.