Security procedures in Galveston

ultrafighter

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but it's been three years since my last cruise and I've slept since then...

What are the security procedures for boarding the ship in Galveston? Body scanners? Pat downs? I obviously have way more experience flying so my mind is on TSA-type molestation. :o

Relax. The security down here is a private firm, you won't see a TSA agent with gloves anywhere.

You arrive at your check-in time slot, show your boarding documents and are then send through the scanner and carry-on luggage is screened like at an airport. No one will touch you. Secondary screening is done with a wand if necessary.

After the scanner you are then told to have your wine or canned drinks checked at a table set aside. I'm not a smuggler but I haven't stopped at that table in the last ten cruises.

Up the escalator and then show your documents again and get your Sign and Sail card. You will be assigned a boarding group, and once called the boarding photo is snapped and you are on the gangway.

If you aren't diamond or platinum I suggest looking into Faster To The Fun as an option for your cabin. While not an economy purchase it gets you aboard quicker, off quicker and has additional perks. It's a subjective topic on Cruise Critic. My wife and I have been platinum for a long time and love the benefits described.

Sail away from Galveston is one of our favorites, and we love to walk to one of the forward observation decks and watch the dolphins play in the bow wake of passing ships and barges. We watched them Sunday on our bike ride.

Have a great cruise.

If you aren't diamond or platinum I suggest looking into Faster To The Fun as an option for your cabin.

I checked and refreshed every single day until a FTTF pass was available. It was my top priority!! Thanks for all of your other info, too. :D