Living room or other observation lounge availability?

SuzCruise

We are considering our first Azmara cruise and would appreciate a little help from those experienced with the Quest. We discovered on our last Celebrity cruise that we REALLY enjoy whiling away the days on a cruise in an ocean facing lounge playing games, reading, enjoying a drink and visiting with each other and new friends. We discovered that on Celebrity because the only ocean facing lounge was rarely open, normally being closed for the art auction or another special event and was unstaffed during the rare moments it was open during the day. My husband wants one thing on vacation, someone to bring him drinks, and that someone isn't going to be me, so there needs to be waitstaff. RSSC, Crystal and Silverseas all provide this so we didn't know we loved it until we missed it on Celebrity.

I know this is picky and quirky, but it is a make or break thing with us. We are looking at a November cruise on the Quest. We are very interested in checking out Azmara, but want to know if we'll get what we are there for, sitting in an air conditioned space staring at the sea while enjoying great service and time together. Does the Living Room provide this, or is there another lounge that fits the bill? Is there a problem, as I have read on the boards at least once, with it being taken over by Park West?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Susan

We are considering our first Azmara cruise and would appreciate a little help from those experienced with the Quest. We discovered on our last Celebrity cruise that we REALLY enjoy whiling away the days on a cruise in an ocean facing lounge playing games, reading, enjoying a drink and visiting with each other and new friends. We discovered that on Celebrity because the only ocean facing lounge was rarely open, normally being closed for the art auction or another special event and was unstaffed during the rare moments it was open during the day. My husband wants one thing on vacation, someone to bring him drinks, and that someone isn't going to be me, so there needs to be waitstaff. RSSC, Crystal and Silverseas all provide this so we didn't know we loved it until we missed it on Celebrity.

I know this is picky and quirky, but it is a make or break thing with us. We are looking at a November cruise on the Quest. We are very interested in checking out Azmara, but want to know if we'll get what we are there for, sitting in an air conditioned space staring at the sea while enjoying great service and time together. Does the Living Room provide this, or is there another lounge that fits the bill? Is there a problem, as I have read on the boards at least once, with it being taken over by Park West?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Susan

The Living Room is ideal for what you describe.

And the good news Park West is no longer on Azamara. Occasionally there can be short trivia sessions or other talks/ charged for wine tasting but where possible they do these in one of the alcoves leaving the main area of the room free from events. Sandwiches are available up there 11-4 replaced by evening tapas. We love the Living Room since they refurbished the ship it's become a big favourite of ours.

If being outdoors is OK, then the Sunset Bar on deck 9 at the stern (facing the ocean) will give you the same experience. The bar is open pretty much from lunch on, although you may have to fix your own tea or coffee at non-mealtimes.

Hi Suzcruise, and welcome!

As others have said the Living Room will be perfect for you.

I had to laugh when I read your comment "that someone isn't going to be me"! Years ago my husband, an avid sailor, chartered a sailboat for just the two of us out of the Bay of Gocek, Turkey. It was a beautiful way to explore the coast of Turkey but by the end of the week I was saying I'd henceforth stick to cruising where there is always someone waiting on ME.

The bar in the Living Room usually opens at noon, although it's been my experience that the staff will get you drinks from the pool bar on deck 9 if the Living Room bar has not yet been set up. The bar will remain open until late in the evening with plenty of servers. The Living Room has become one of the most popular meeting / resting / reading / playing places on the ship. Its redesign is wonderful.

Since the re-imagining, this lounge (now called "The Living Room") is much-improved and much loved. No problem getting your drink service, at least from Noon on. Note that it is well-used and you will have other passengers around, plus quite a few events like trivia, etc. So don't expect a cozy little private nook. Still you will be able to carve out your own space. It's one of the best places on board.

How well does the Living Room serve as a main Observation Lounge? How are the sight lines? The seating? Does it get crowded when the scenery is spectacular and the weather not great? (I'm asking about Journey specifically but I assume they are almost identical.)

I've actually been on Journey (once), but my memories of the LR are vague, or at least I don't remember how the view is. We'll be on her again next year in the Norwegian fjords and I suspect that a good comfortable place to view the natural beauty of the area will be very important.

I've actually been on Journey (once), but my memories of the LR are vague, or at least I don't remember how the view is. We'll be on her again next year in the Norwegian fjords and I suspect that a good comfortable place to view the natural beauty of the area will be very important.

And to about 675 other people too!

How well does the Living Room serve as a main Observation Lounge? How are the sight lines? The seating? Does it get crowded when the scenery is spectacular and the weather not great? (I'm asking about Journey specifically but I assume they are almost identical.)

Hey Wendy! You'll find a good number of people (me included) like to be outside looking at the view rather than indoors, even if the weather isn't great. Remember, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad choice of clothes!;) Living Room is a nice alternative, but for me it just doesn't do the views justice looking through glass.

Phil

And to about 675 other people too!

Absolutely correct, of course.

We didn't use the LR that much on our Norway cruise because, even if you are sitting close to the windows, it was rather difficult to appreciate the vertical views.

And when we did use it in a Panama Canal transit, less verticality involved, others thought nothing of standing or squeezing close to the windows and thus effectively blocking much of what you might wish to see.

We were exceptionally lucky in the weather in Norway, but even if it had been cool and rainy I think the best views would be out on the decks and well worth any discomfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Living Room is big and can accommodate a lot of people, but not all the passengers on board. The site lines are good, although not perfect. On one trip up the Seine (pre-Living Room, but it was the same space dimension-wise), the observation area pretty much filled up with standing room only and hard to get a view. We retreated to our balcony.

My previous post was not quite correct. Azamara have brought a new Art company onboard Artsail. So far very low key but I'll let you know if it impacts on the Living Room. Pictures are much nicer.

My previous post was not quite correct. Azamara have brought a new Art company onboard Artsail. So far very low key but I'll let you know if it impacts on the Living Room. Pictures are much nicer.

Oh no!! That's worrisome. We loved the thought that Azamara had ditched the art show nonsense. We just booked, so we'll have to cross our fingers now.

They were just setting these pictures up on Quest when we were onboard a few weeks ago. They were of the landscape "oil daubing" type. At the time I thought my 8 month old granddaughter could have done better! She is quite good at finger painting. :D

I know you have good taste though Ann, so perhaps the ones on Journey are much better? Definitely agree they are not as intrusive as those horrible Park West pictures though. Just hope there are no more art auctions onboard...I won't be attending!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Wendy! You'll find a good number of people (me included) like to be outside looking at the view rather than indoors, even if the weather isn't great. Remember, there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad choice of clothes!;) Living Room is a nice alternative, but for me it just doesn't do the views justice looking through glass.

Phil

Thanks Phil. It's mostly that we don't always do cold well. I like being outside, but it's also nice to have a place inside where you can sit and view the scenery.

The Living Room is big and can accommodate a lot of people, but not all the passengers on board. The site lines are good, although not perfect. On one trip up the Seine (pre-Living Room, but it was the same space dimension-wise), the observation area pretty much filled up with standing room only and hard to get a view. We retreated to our balcony.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. This happened to us on Regent Mariner last winter, in the Panama Canal. Nice to be inside sitting down out of the perishing heat, but it was crowded at times.

On the current Arctic Circle cruise the Living Room has been very busy though if you accept a side view you could always get a seat e.g. In the Card Room. Busiest was mid evening and after dinner when we were cruising through beautiful scenery and of course it's light all the time.

The bigger issue was the activities staff continued to run music trivia late afternoon and a disco no one seemed to want at night because the scenery was so special.

One night common sense prevailed and the disco was cancelled at other times it would have been a better compromise if the volume had been drastically reduced rather than pump out music no one danced to and distort pics with flashing lights. Although several asked for lower music volume they got a rare Azamara "no" from the DJ.

On the current Arctic Circle cruise the Living Room has been very busy though if you accept a side view you could always get a seat e.g. In the Card Room. Busiest was mid evening and after dinner when we were cruising through beautiful scenery and of course it's light all the time.

The bigger issue was the activities staff continued to run music trivia late afternoon and a disco no one seemed to want at night because the scenery was so special.

One night common sense prevailed and the disco was cancelled at other times it would have been a better compromise if the volume had been drastically reduced rather than pump out music no one danced to and distort pics with flashing lights. Although several asked for lower music volume they got a rare Azamara "no" from the DJ.

Interesting. Well I hope all you guys comment about this at the end of the cruise, and maybe next year they'll do better. :)

I think you will find that pretty much every ship draws a crowd indoors under the circumstances you've described.:)

I am not sure when this person was up there but every night I was up there many people were dancing. At times not until after 11 or 1130 as it was not their style of music. One night it was 50's night and I just gave up as there was no music. It was at afternoon tea level. It was so sad. The poor DJ had to listen to the ones who wanted no music. To the twenty or so who danced nightly. Most was to around 2 am.

I loved watching Norway go by as I danced. Others did too. I am sure the dancers skid nightly for music.

I hope the new DJ did not get in trouble caught in the middle.

I am not sure when this person was up there but every night I was up there many people were dancing. At times not until after 11 or 1130 as it was not their style of music. One night it was 50's night and I just gave up as there was no music. It was at afternoon tea level. It was so sad. The poor DJ had to listen to the ones who wanted no music. To the twenty or so who danced nightly. Most was to around 2 am.

I loved watching Norway go by as I danced. Others did too. I am sure the dancers skid nightly for music.

I hope the new DJ did not get in trouble caught in the middle.

This person (and several others) experience was from 10-1130 on nights where the vast majority were in the room for scenic viewing. We would have had no issue if there had been people wanting to dance but at that time no one wanted dancing and the Living Room had been proactively promoted as the place for scenic viewing these nights.

We were interested in the beauty of early morning sail ins so had no interest in what happened after midnight so I am glad the DJ could keep the late risers happy so late a good compromise pre and post midnight IMHO.

I was pleased that the Activities Manager correctly addressed the issue one night and from then on music was more appropriate to the wishes of the majority until about midnight. I think it's unfair to call it Afternoon Tea music, there were no pianos harps or violins and a few did dance to it the volume was lower but that did not seem to bother people.

I am not aware once it was addressed the DJ had to listen to anything other than valid feedback something he needs to get used to on Azamara!

I think the management correctly recognised the new DJ had not given the kind of response Azamara would expect to guest feedback especially his verbal response which was picked up on but let's leave it at that.