Sony RX100 "I" upgrade with GPS - HX90V ?

theorbo

Hi - I've had a Sony RX100/A for several years and have really enjoyed the form factor and ability to take excellent photos. I'm looking to get something newer as this camera now seems to lag between photos and I was a bit shocked to see the cost of any of the later versions of the RX100.

Some important features to me include GPS and Wi-Fi and I've been considering the HX90V. I am an enthusiast but I don't do a lot of enlargements or super-technical stuff. Would someone here be able to offer their opinion of what I might expect in making the move to the HX90V?

A couple other thoughts ... I like the fact that the software and buttons on the camera would be similar to what I'm already used to and the RX100 'III' type viewfinder on the HX90V seems like a win.

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated. Are there non-Sony alternatives that I should consider?

I LOVE this series of camera. I have had the 9V, the 50V and the 200V, I still use the 50V and 200V (although of the 3 I like the 200V the least). The only thing I don't like about the 50V is that it doesn't have a viewfinder. I have upgraded to the a6000 which I also love but it is more complicated.

One of my favorite features of the series is the auto HDR, I have been able to get some amazing pictures with it. One of the cons is how it focuses, sometimes in a complicated picture it doesn't focus on what I want. So take multiple pictures, or be more patient about the focus than I am (not hard to do :rolleyes:).

Two thumbs up from me!

Vic

Hi - I've had a Sony RX100/A for several years and have really enjoyed the form factor and ability to take excellent photos. I'm looking to get something newer as this camera now seems to lag between photos and I was a bit shocked to see the cost of any of the later versions of the RX100.

Some important features to me include GPS and Wi-Fi and I've been considering the HX90V. I am an enthusiast but I don't do a lot of enlargements or super-technical stuff. Would someone here be able to offer their opinion of what I might expect in making the move to the HX90V?

A couple other thoughts ... I like the fact that the software and buttons on the camera would be similar to what I'm already used to and the RX100 'III' type viewfinder on the HX90V seems like a win.

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated. Are there non-Sony alternatives that I should consider?

The hx90 sensor is 1/4th the size of the rx100. It will be significantly worse in low and moderate light. I doubt it will be any faster than the rx100 in any regard. In bright daylight images, you may not notice much difference.

You're basically giving up image quality and low light performance to get gps and wifi.

You said you're an enthusiast -- so I'll assume you often shoot raw and manual controls? I don't believe the hx90v supports raw and manual shooting is likely very limited.

You're basically trading a 2013 Mercedes to get a 2017 Chevy Malibu.

I am a bit leery of embedded GPS in the EXIF. You forget to turn it off when you're not on vacation and your home and family photos are posted with a tacit invitation to use the virtual street signs leading to them.

There are phone/desktop apps that allow you to synchronize your phone's location at any given moment with the creation time on your image.

http://www.geotagphotos.net/

Also, USB On-The-Go (OTG) cables paired with a card reader allows easy transfer images to your phone to be shared via WiFi or cellular data. They are available for Micro-USB, USB-C and that odd Apple plug.

The RX100 series defined a class of cameras and still lead the pack. There are few compact cameras to this day that exceed the original RX100's image quality. (And they all use Sony sensors!)

If I had not moved from DSLRs to the Sony APS-C mirrorless bodies, I would absolutely carry an RX100 of some sort as a go-anywhere camera for great imaging.

Dave

Dave

I recently purchased a Sony HX90V to take with on our recent Baltic Sea cruise. Specifically I bought it for our two-day excursion in St. Petersburg to limit the possibility of losing a DSLR lens from theft, but was very impressed with its overall usefulness. Here are two examples from the moving ship at full focal extension.

Söderarm Lighthouse

DSC01703_zpspfjvnues.jpg

Kronstadt Naval Cathedral

DSC01364_zpsqwyb53n9.jpg

There are phone/desktop apps that allow you to synchronize your phone's location at any given moment with the creation time on your image.

I recently purchased a Sony HX90V to take with on our recent Baltic Sea cruise. <snip> Here are two examples from the moving ship at full focal extension.

Thank you both! I firmly believe that being able to see some examples is the best way to compare and to evaluate my desire or tolerance for a new camera.

I didn't know that there were apps that would let me add GPS to the EXIF but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Can either of you recommend a website that has a good tool to compare photos between the RX100 and the HX90V?