Disney Dream w/ 2yo

ggooglyboogly

We'll be taking the Disney Dream next Feb with my son who will be turning 2 the week following the cruise (you might say we're taking one more vacation w/ free flights for him hahaha). We're going to fly down, spend 3 days at wilderness lodge w/ park hoppers and then transfer to the ship the Monday of sailing.

I was wondering, those of you who have sailed on this ship with a similarly aged child, if you had any tips / tricks / feedback. I know there's a splash pad for the non-potty trained kids, and some activities for them, but looking for any other experiences. This will be his 4th cruise (he's been on NCL Getaway / NCL Epic / RCCL Oasis) so has done REALLY well on ships before and he LOVES Disney so we're really excited to do this with him.

We'll be taking the Disney Dream next Feb with my son who will be turning 2 the week following the cruise (you might say we're taking one more vacation w/ free flights for him hahaha). We're going to fly down, spend 3 days at wilderness lodge w/ park hoppers and then transfer to the ship the Monday of sailing.

I was wondering, those of you who have sailed on this ship with a similarly aged child, if you had any tips / tricks / feedback. I know there's a splash pad for the non-potty trained kids, and some activities for them, but looking for any other experiences. This will be his 4th cruise (he's been on NCL Getaway / NCL Epic / RCCL Oasis) so has done REALLY well on ships before and he LOVES Disney so we're really excited to do this with him.

take him into the kids club during the open house hours...there are things in there that he will enjoy...for example, andy's room...

take him into the kids club during the open house hours...there are things in there that he will enjoy...for example, andy's room...

Thanks! That's a great idea - and I've heard something about a Millennium Falcon in there so i need to try that.....i mean take my son to try it.

Thanks! That's a great idea - and I've heard something about a Millennium Falcon in there so i need to try that.....i mean take my son to try it.

not to worry - we'll be in there during the open house and we won't even have our grandchildren with us on the cruise!!

you're as young as you feel (or act in my case)

not to worry - we'll be in there during the open house and we won't even have our grandchildren with us on the cruise!!

you're as young as you feel (or act in my case)

I totally agree - Disney seems to embrace that quite well too. Since you seem to have cruised with them before (and this is a little off topic) - are the rumors of stone crab claws in the buffet true?

I totally agree - Disney seems to embrace that quite well too. Since you seem to have cruised with them before (and this is a little off topic) - are the rumors of stone crab claws in the buffet true?

sorry, i don't know the answer to that question..

i don't eat crabs, so i've never noticed... :cool:

There is crab on the buffet at least on embarkation day. And on the TA cruises, we had "adult time in the OC." It was closed to kids, so the grown ups could play--fun to watch the dads do Marvel Academy, etc. When we sort of stood around, the YACs slid down slides, etc. to convince us that it was OK for big people.

Check the navigator to see if they will have "Wake up with Disney, Jr." This is a dance and exercise thing for toddlers with a parent or other adult. It is held in one of the public spaces and is not a drop off event. Sorry, I haven't been on the Dream in forever, so don't know if it happens there. It definitely exists on 7 nighters and longer cruises. Another really precious thing is the family dance parties--little ones dancing with mom or dad are sweet.

There is crab on the buffet at least on embarkation day. And on the TA cruises' date=' we had "adult time in the OC." It was closed to kids, so the grown ups could play--fun to watch the dads do Marvel Academy, etc. When we sort of stood around, the YACs slid down slides, etc. to convince us that it was OK for big people.

[/quote']

You just got me excited for our WBTA in 2018! Thanks for that.

You just got me excited for our WBTA in 2018! Thanks for that.
We LOVE the trans-Atlantic cruises and have done several. You can expect extra entertainers (usually including one or two that are really special), extra activities, shows, menus, and tons of time to just relax with the ocean breezes blowing thru your hair. If you are that person who likes to do something all the time, it may not be for you...but if you want a relaxing cruise, these are absolutely the best. I don't mean that there isn't stuff to do, but it is very different than a port intensive cruise.

There is crab on the buffet at least on embarkation day. And on the TA cruises' date=' we had "adult time in the OC." It was closed to kids, so the grown ups could play--fun to watch the dads do Marvel Academy, etc. When we sort of stood around, the YACs slid down slides, etc. to convince us that it was OK for big people.

Check the navigator to see if they will have "Wake up with Disney, Jr." This is a dance and exercise thing for toddlers with a parent or other adult. It is held in one of the public spaces and is not a drop off event. Sorry, I haven't been on the Dream in forever, so don't know if it happens there. It definitely exists on 7 nighters and longer cruises. Another really precious thing is the family dance parties--little ones dancing with mom or dad are sweet.[/quote']

I appreciate the info! I'm really looking forward to this.

We LOVE the trans-Atlantic cruises and have done several. You can expect extra entertainers (usually including one or two that are really special)' date=' extra activities, shows, menus, and tons of time to just relax with the ocean breezes blowing thru your hair. If you are that person who likes to do something all the time, it may not be for you...but if you want a relaxing cruise, these are absolutely the best. I don't mean that there isn't stuff to do, but it is very different than a port intensive cruise.[/quote']

my dream is to do a TA....but my husband doesn't have the time...he needs to be connected 24/7...

we're able to do 3 weeks at WDW because he can be connected 24/7 on his phone...

but i don't think it's possible on a TA..

what is the internet connection like when you're crossing the atlantic?

Daughter was actually pleased with the connection, and only used about half of the package I bought her despite being on line a LOT of the time. I got her the $89 "big" package, and she spent a lot of time doing something thru skype without the video portion. Translation--I don't know exactly what she was doing, but it looked a lot like texting except it was using her computer. She told me it was using Skype. In reality, I don't care what she was doing. She was happy, talking with her international friends, and didn't use up the package. She didn't complain about speed, and even allowed me to handle a few necessities using her package.

The problem with internet on board is that depending on what you are doing, you can use a lot of mb rather quickly. BE SURE all automatic stuff is turned off on your device.

Daughter was actually pleased with the connection' date=' and only used about half of the package I bought her despite being on line a LOT of the time. I got her the $89 "big" package, and she spent a lot of time doing something thru skype without the video portion. Translation--I don't know exactly what she was doing, but it looked a lot like texting except it was using her computer. She told me it was using Skype. In reality, I don't care what she was doing. She was happy, talking with her international friends, and didn't use up the package. She didn't complain about speed, and even allowed me to handle a few necessities using her package.

The problem with internet on board is that depending on what you are doing, you can use a lot of mb rather quickly. BE SURE all automatic stuff is turned off on your device.[/quote']

he texts non-stop....seriously...all night long....first the west coast of the US (4 pm california is our 2 AM)...and then at 3 in the morning china starts working and all the damn texts flood in.....worse than having a baby that wakes up every two hours..

texting works, but he has to be able to talk as well...some fires can only be put out by talking...

that's the problem with cruising in general - phone calls..

on the few cruises we've managed i've tried to wrap it around a holiday that would at least lessen part of the demand on him...(e.g. 4th of july - which this year is particularly good because of the bridge)...

anyway, i guess i'll probably have to save the TA dream for my next life...i'd say retirement, but i know we'll never retire...

one of the problems with working for yourself...

We LOVE the trans-Atlantic cruises and have done several. You can expect extra entertainers (usually including one or two that are really special)' date=' extra activities, shows, menus, and tons of time to just relax with the ocean breezes blowing thru your hair. If you are that person who likes to do something all the time, it may not be for you...but if you want a relaxing cruise, these are absolutely the best. I don't mean that there isn't stuff to do, but it is very different than a port intensive cruise.[/quote']

Oh, no, I'll be fine. Just give me a book, plant me by the Cove Pool and I'm happy as a clam. And Yes, I know it might be windy up there, but we've done Canada in September. Just give me a jacket and/or a blanket and I'm fine.