Live from Seabourn Encore: First Impressions

LauraS

I find it hard to believe we were on the same cruise.The Encore was a total disappointment for us.We found talking to guests that new passengers loved the ship and re[eaters not so much.Most repeaters said they would not return to Encore.

Formal night was a disaster.The Dining room could not accommodate all the passengers many angry people.

No walking track and absolutely not enough shade.A few angry confrontations at the pool because people were holding shade chairs all day and not using them.Crew did nothing to help.The one day one tried he got a loud angry person yelling at him.This was about 3 hrs after he had set up his chairs.

Disorganization is #1 They do not know what they are doing.Not enough help.The people working are all great but can do so much.They are really trying no fault to them.

Special meals are still done.The Chef was wonderful.The menus all outdated.Not enough variety.Our special meal was great.

Our room steward was good nothing exceptional but she did her job.She had a great personality and we could see how hard she was working.

The Retreat was never used.When we complained about the lack of shade we were told to use the Retreat.

Our cabin was already showing signs of damage. The molding on our closet door fell off and toilet backed up.They said the toilet problem was on going.

Entertainment was just basic SB.Nothing out of the ordinary.

One week cruise changes the dynamics of the ship.Our first day on board our next door neighbor leaned over and stated talking.She loved the ship went on and on.I was shocked.Many discounts on the 1 week is not good.I know it is the money issue for SB but not good for us.

All in all we will not be returning to the Encore.

We met with the head of Service and he said he has heard all of this before.They definitely know the issues but he said their hands are tied for many .No room for additional staff to be housed,They do not have a solution for the shade.His words were" we are trying to find our way and most complaints are from repeaters."

Sorry not for us.

Not per se but you can walk loops unimpeded on deck nine overlooking the pool deck if you do so early in the day when people are not using the sun loungers up there. Of course in Antarctica I was able to do that at any time of the day. If I recall it is 16 laps to the mile. So even with the going in circles it is a lifesaver for those of us who are anti treadmill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Regarding the lack of shade - is the pool deck design on Encore almost the same as the 3 smaller ships? I know that the food serving area is at the other end, but I am trying to understand the lack of shade issue. I find that the 3 smaller ships have insufficient shaded areas around the pool too (the poor staff had to put up multiple umbrellas every day when we were in the Caribbean earlier this year - otherwise we would have all died of heat stroke!) . Generally only one row of loungers on each side of the ship are in the shade and that is never enough, particularly for those of us that want to avoid the skin cancer risk. Is the shaded area the same on Encore and there are more passengers putting even more pressure on limited space, or have they reduced the actual shaded area on Encore? I have no idea why a designer would fail to appreciate the need to provide adequate shade! Even removable shade sails would be better than no shade at all.

Seabourn must really be crazy to release the Ovation with the same design flaws. Or is it that all the newcomers from the mass market lines think they are in paradise on the Encore????!!!!!!!

Regarding the lack of shade - is the pool deck design on Encore almost the same as the 3 smaller ships? I know that the food serving area is at the other end, but I am trying to understand the lack of shade issue. I find that the 3 smaller ships have insufficient shaded areas around the pool too (the poor staff had to put up multiple umbrellas every day when we were in the Caribbean earlier this year - otherwise we would have all died of heat stroke!) . Generally only one row of loungers on each side of the ship are in the shade and that is never enough, particularly for those of us that want to avoid the skin cancer risk. Is the shaded area the same on Encore and there are more passengers putting even more pressure on limited space, or have they reduced the actual shaded area on Encore? I have no idea why a designer would fail to appreciate the need to provide adequate shade! Even removable shade sails would be better than no shade at all.

Seabourn must really be crazy to release the Ovation with the same design flaws. Or is it that all the newcomers from the mass market lines think they are in paradise on the Encore????!!!!!!!

Cruising kirby-we thinks you are over dramatizing a bit. We were on the same Carib Ody cruise as yourselves. Heat stroke? Really. Relax mate ... enjoy the ship for what it is.

On the smaller ships they had loungers on both side of the pool deck in the shade.On the Encore they have replaced them with tables and chairs.Upstairs on one side where there is shade is the smoking area.You could put your chair on the side of the pool deck on the Odyssey ships but now that is totally blocked off on the Encore..Really there is very little shade.Very poor design.

I agree with Capri73 and cruising kirby. The design of the Encore simply does not offer the same quality of shade as the Odyssey class ships. This is partly because there is far less deck space per passenger and Encore's designers and Seabourn's management apparently have chosen not to deal with it. (Of course, I may be wrong in the coming years and depending on how Ovation turns out. Let's see....)

And I hate to bring this up since it has been rehashed on this forum, but the Retreat - that large and "exclusive" exclusive large area on deck 12 for the punters who would pay $350/day to be sheltered and cosseted from the 95% of us who don't want to use it- denies that same deck space to everyone else. If Seabourn really wanted to restore some element of balance they would establish a shady lounge area up there that is available to all.

If you attend one of the Officer's on Deck evening parties around the main swimming pool you will be struck with the impression that you are no longer on a Seabourn ship. Maybe a Holland America or other mass market line ship. Add in 150+ more passengers within a deck area that is hardly much larger than that found on the Odyssey class ships and you will see for yourself. That's not Seabourn. And that's why I suggested way back on the inaugural of Encore that this ship is best suited for shorter port intensive cruises. No need for a passenger laundry, fewer people on deck when in port, and no one would bother with the Retreat anyway.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We spent 35 days on Encore doing the Singapore to Athens segment ending May 6. We never had any problem with places to sit around the pool and we always sat in the shade near the restaurant portion, opposite end to the bar.

We thought the Restaurant was very good. The TK Grill was mostly very bad, the quality of the menu was very poor. We were expecting something very good with the Thomas Keller name and it was very disappointing. We ate there four times and the only good item on the menu was the fish dish. The TK Bar and piano player were very good! We spent almost every early evening before dinner in the TK Bar and then continuing on mostly to the restaurant. The woman piano player and singer was very good.

The cabins are slightly smaller (narrower in width). Overall we still had a terrific time on the Encore as we have had on two previous Seabourn cruises on the smaller ships, with the major exception the disappointing TK Restaurant.

We would enjoy the Encore again.

I should also have added to my previous post that during our cruise on the Encore they were building a laundry room and we saw the washers and dryers on the dock in Athens, so I believe by now it should be in operation.

Cruising kirby-we thinks you are over dramatizing a bit. We were on the same Carib Ody cruise as yourselves. Heat stroke? Really. Relax mate ... enjoy the ship for what it is.

Me......................overdramatizing..................never!

I certainly aim to enjoy myself on my Encore cruise, and I will be relaxed. I will report back here on cc with my experiences.

Me......................overdramatizing..................never!

I certainly aim to enjoy myself on my Encore cruise, and I will be relaxed. I will report back here on cc with my experiences.

LOL!!'