Freeport - Lucayan National Park - can we kayak on our own?

luvavacation

Two adults, considering going out to the Lucayan National Park. Our cruiseline (MSC) offers a kayaking excursion there, which my husband is interested in, but I am not. I would prefer to just look around the park and then go to the beach there. There is no excursion offered for those that just want to explore the park and then become part of the beach for a couple hours.:D

I am considering either renting a car to drive there (an option that might cause us to fight amongst ourselves as we navigate and attempt to drive on the opposite side of our comfort zone!), or having a taxi from the port. I have read that there are no taxis at Lucayan Park, so this taxi idea might not be good.

Any thoughts? Should we just go with the kayaking excursion and I just don't get into the kayak and run to the beach instead?

Two adults, considering going out to the Lucayan National Park. Our cruiseline (MSC) offers a kayaking excursion there, which my husband is interested in, but I am not. I would prefer to just look around the park and then go to the beach there. There is no excursion offered for those that just want to explore the park and then become part of the beach for a couple hours.:D

I am considering either renting a car to drive there (an option that might cause us to fight amongst ourselves as we navigate and attempt to drive on the opposite side of our comfort zone!), or having a taxi from the port. I have read that there are no taxis at Lucayan Park, so this taxi idea might not be good.

Any thoughts? Should we just go with the kayaking excursion and I just don't get into the kayak and run to the beach instead?

We rented a car; it was convenient and inexpensive. Although, we had driven on the left-hand side of the road in other islands before, so it was not an issue for us. Lucayan National Park is awesome, and the beach is amazing. However, I cannot remember if they had kayaks available for rent there; I would imagine they would. Do a Google search on the park and see what is offered.

Thank you, brunello22, for your help. While I may be game to try the drive, and have even "driven" the drive from the port on Google Maps, I am afraid it just won't be a good idea. My husband has driven the wrong way on a one way in Alaska and a couple other American cities, and he was born and raised here! He occasionally feels that he can find his way around better than I, and my navigational skills, are able. I, on the other hand, am a great navigator (from the time I was 3, my Father put a map in my hand and let me navigate us anywhere around town!), and drive fine in a new place as long as I have someone that can direct me and let me know where to go before we actually pass the turn! My husband's strengths do not lie in navigation (he is much more patient than I am in traffic, however!). Hence, safer for the population at large if we don't throw in driving on the opposite side.

I did try the Lucayan website, but there is a lack of info on it. I also emailed the Bahamas tourism trust that hosts the website, and I receive a "thank you for contacting us, we will get back to you shortly" type of answer. That was just before I posted my query here on Cruise Critic. Island time, I suppose. Perhaps I shall hear back after my cruise.:confused:

At this point, I think I will just book us both on the Kayak excursion, and I just will kick and scream for the beach instead of the kayak. The guides might just be happy to let me go off on my own and meet up with the group later when they get to the beach! :cool: