Encore Laundry Progress

AWillie

We are starting to pack for a mid July cruise on Seabourn Encore. Does anyone have a update on the self service laundry. There has been various reports ranging from they have the machines on board and are working on the room to install them. Then other reports of it will be 1-3 years from now before they will be installed. If someone is on board now or within the past month please share you thoughts/observations.

This goes to show how long and difficult it is for a new ship to have facilities retrofitted and which should have been there in the first place.

The Encore's lack of a laundry was roundly criticized by passengers on the inaugural voyage last December and January. And at that time Seabourn management promised that one would be installed by now- June, 2017.

Here is another source of irritation to me that has led to a surprise on the Odyssey class ships' deckplans. You may all have seen that the Retreat of Encore was roundly criticized early in its career for denying deck space to the 95% plus of passengers who don't use it ($350/couple/day for loungers that don't even face the sea and some booze) on a ship with far less deck space per passenger that the Odyssey class ships. The Retreat occupies deck space that on the Odyssey class ships is used for golf putting and driving and shuffleboard. There is no such area on Encore.

So what did I just notice on the sports deck, deck 11, on the Odyssey class ships' online deckplan? Someone has

slipped in "Retreat" there as if there is one. And there isn't. So don't be confused. (Note to Seabourn: either remove "Retreat" from the Odyssey class deckplans or build them. You cannot have it both ways.)

About retrofits, I was hoping that the Retreat would be abandoned as a failed concept and the sports deck area with free access would be restored on Encore. And not even built on Ovation. But who knows? This is a reason I would suggest that

readers consider the Encore/Ovation something of a different brand than the Odyssey class ships. My verdict is the Encore aims at a new to Seabourn demographic (Note: I am very keen on the unique Sushi Restaurant on Encore) while the Odyssey class ships is more like old Seabourn- egalitarian, smaller and more comfortable.

You have your choices.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Going slightly off-thread - but yes, I too was alarmed when saw the dread word 'Retreat' on the Odyssey deck plan online. Its good to know its not for real. (Or not yet anyway).

Not just the Odyssey, "The Retreat" is marked on deck 11 on both the Quest and Sojourn deck plans as well.

I hope that it's a mistake?:o

Sorry to keep this off-topic.

The current deck plans are not a change from the past. The old (2016-2017) brochure also showed the deck 11 area with putting greens as "The Retreat". Maybe there is a requirement on Seabourn that the top deck have an area named "retreat"? :rolleyes:

Did anyone expect to see a laundry unit on this ship during 2017? To be sure, it will be as disappointing as the garbage they built on the other ships. I'm guessing the Ritz Carlton ships will be a bit more thoughtful in areas forgotten by SB.

I talked to Seabourn not long ago about an upcoming trip on Encore. The agent said the target date for the laundry was 1q2018. I have to call them again this week. Lets see if I get the same answer.

Thanks Capri73 for the current information. We are on a 70 day holiday and this will make the 20 days on the Encore the only time without a laundry. The QM2 and the Airbnb rentals will all have a self service laundry. This is our first time on Seabourn. When we started planning this holiday we saw the other Seabourn ships had a laundry and though this ship would. Anyway, if this the worst thing that happens it should still be a great trip.

I talked to Seabourn not long ago about an upcoming trip on Encore. The agent said the target date for the laundry was 1q2018. I have to call them again this week. Lets see if I get the same answer.

I realise that it can take a while to install washing machines - but how long does it take to set up an ironing room?

My understanding is the ironing room (was one of the crew cabins) has been set up for months.

That would have been good to know. We were on Encore at the end of May and were told there were no laundry or ironing facilities yet! :o

I talked to Seabourn again today and specifically asked about the laundry installation on Encore. The agent put my on hold to check the latest status. Upon returning she indicated there is not a specific date and that it is unlikely they would be operational by October. So, it seems they have backed off the 1q2018 target date and are now saying 'sometime in the future'. The answer felt vague......

• 2 weeks later...