Moral question about dog sled tours

Mountaineer0313

I love dogs and a dog sled tour is something I've been considering for our cruise to Alaska next year. I'm torn though, since my version of loving dogs is they live inside, sleep on fluffy beds, are warm when it's cold outside and cool when it's warm outside. I have nothing against dog sledding and I know the dogs who pull sleds love to do it, however, I'm just wondering if doing a sled tour and seeing were they live, tied up to their dog house as I've seen in numerous pictures, will ruin it for me. Is dog sledding something I should just pass up? Again, no snarky comments, I'm just wondering if it's something we should do or not.

No need to pass up on account of the dogs. Like any other "working" animals they need to be well cared and provided for because at the end of the day "they are the business". Valued employees even. The raising and training are a serious economic investment that needs to be managed well or the operator might as well close up. The dogs would probably actually prefer it to be colder and generally will sleep on top of the dog houses in the Summer - as opposed to snuggling down into the snow in Winter.

Yes, there can be "bad apple" operators but they won't be in business very long. I would be more curious what sort of regulations there are for these operations as far as regular vet checkups and medical time off for things like paw issues from the ice. But as far as "using" the dogs this is what they are born to do and usually do pretty enthusiastically.

It's an individual decision. BUT I find the naive "assumption" that the "dogs love to run", a feel good idea that may not be reality based. I instead can speculate the reason for running is because they are short tethered for their lives and darn "happy" to finally be loose.

It is unknown to say the least. But, I find claiming something that is unknown, talking to yourself.

I love dogs and a dog sled tour is something I've been considering for our cruise to Alaska next year. I'm torn though, since my version of loving dogs is they live inside, sleep on fluffy beds, are warm when it's cold outside and cool when it's warm outside. I have nothing against dog sledding and I know the dogs who pull sleds love to do it, however, I'm just wondering if doing a sled tour and seeing were they live, tied up to their dog house as I've seen in numerous pictures, will ruin it for me. Is dog sledding something I should just pass up? Again, no snarky comments, I'm just wondering if it's something we should do or not.

Would you go swim with Dolphins in Mexico? I wouldn't, so I know if was in your shoes choosing to do this excursion or not the answer would be no I wouldn't go, I understand what everyone has written below in regards to it being what they are born to do and bad apples and all that. I think it's totally a personal choice. Has it been your dream to dog sled? There are a billion other amazing excursions to do in Alaska. Some ships bring sled dog puppies on-board for people to pet and get their picture with the dog in port which is another way to see the dogs if it's a dog you want to see.

I think you should pass on it. There have been posts here where kids were disturbed by seeing the dogs in the camps.

It may be safer to do something like Puppies in the Piazza that Princess has. They bring puppies onto the ship to play with in one port.

Thanks guys. I think I'll skip it. I'm not really a fan of zoos or things like that, unless they're very much into conservation and their focus is keeping a species alive, or rescuing animals that might not otherwise be able to live in the wild. This is one reason I'm so excited to see Alaska. To see all the beautiful animals that call Alaska home, in their wild habitat, will be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last fall we went to the Gold Rush Sled Dogs in Skagway. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour. You could tell the dogs were well cared for. And "yes" they loved to pull the sled in the demo. The individuals working there loved their jobs and loved their dogs.

I know there are opinions on both side of the sled dog subject. But until the dogs can talk and tell us what they think, I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

Just as an FYI, our tour was a combo Klondike Summit & Gold Rush Sled Dogs thru Royal Caribbean.

Thanks guys. I think I'll skip it. I'm not really a fan of zoos or things like that, unless they're very much into conservation and their focus is keeping a species alive, or rescuing animals that might not otherwise be able to live in the wild. This is one reason I'm so excited to see Alaska. To see all the beautiful animals that call Alaska home, in their wild habitat, will be amazing.

:) Totally!!!! Last time I was there my mom and I met a lady in Ketchikan walking her beeeaaauriful dog with deep blue eyes and we petted him and I took a couple great photos. So you may see dogs anyway 🐶

Years ago, we had a husky. She preferred to live outdoors and would run like none other! Such a high energy dog. She would have been miserable living inside all the time and not being able to run. Go enjoy the tour....the owners take extremely good care of those dogs.

:) Totally!!!! Last time I was there my mom and I met a lady in Ketchikan walking her beeeaaauriful dog with deep blue eyes and we petted him and I took a couple great photos. So you may see dogs anyway 🐶

I always look for dogs on vacation because I miss mine so much. One year we were in the Florida Keys around Christmas, and the guy who rang the bell for the Salvation Army outside the grocery store brought his dog with him every day. I made more than one trip to Publix while we were there just to pet his dog :'):D

I would have an opposite opinion to some others here. I think it absolutely morally reprehensible to keep a husky as a pet. They need so much exercise to keep them healthy. I mean they need to walk or run miles to keep fit.

I personally know several people who live in tiny houses have yards that are only 20 square meters in size who bought huskies because they are good looking dogs. I tried to persuade them to get a house dog, more suitable to where they live. But no they had to have a husky, when they work 12 hours a day and the dog is in the tiny yard all that time 😣

I would have no issue going to see a sled ride. Also dogs are a domestic animal, not a wild animal like Dolphin who need 1000s of miles to swim, so are not a fair comparison.

(Not included are those who live in country and have a farm or equivalent)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I could have written your post. I have seen the pictures and it really tugs on my heart. I already talked to my daughter about it. We already have the very $$$ excursion booked and it is one of the most cancelled tours due to weather. I do hope we get to do it, but do have very mixed feelings about seeing the dogs chained to their little igloos. I understand that it's all they have ever known and that they are working. If you are an animal lover, I don't see how that wouldn't bother you at all. But, to each his own.

On a side note, a few months ago we had to travel to Arkansas. It was literally freezing outside. The hotel was pet friendly. Just before 6AM every morning we would hear dogs incessantly barking outside our hotel window (which was on the side of the building). We were on the second floor and just below our window there were unmarked white SUVs with the back windows cracked a couple of inches. At the top of the windows, they had a grate of some kind. The dogs were police dogs in training. During the day, the dogs were trained there in the side parking lot outside our window. Since they were being trained, there was no "good dog" being said, not petting, etc. I felt so horrible for those dogs. So did my daughter. We didn't understand why they couldn't put the dogs in crates and let them sleep inside with the trainer/handler. It really bothered us.

I would have an opposite opinion to some others here. I think it absolutely morally reprehensible to keep a husky as a pet. They need so much exercise to keep them healthy. I mean they need to walk or run miles to keep fit.

I personally know several people who live in tiny houses have yards that are only 20 square meters in size who bought huskies because they are good looking dogs. I tried to persuade them to get a house dog, more suitable to where they live. But no they had to have a husky, when they work 12 hours a day and the dog is in the tiny yard all that time 😣

I would have no issue going to see a sled ride. Also dogs are a domestic animal, not a wild animal like Dolphin who need 1000s of miles to swim, so are not a fair comparison.

(Not included are those who live in country and have a farm or equivalent)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I don't know. I guess it depends on the individual dog, but working in rescue for the past 10 years, we have a ton of huskies come through that love nothing more than to lounge around on the sofa all day.

I could have written your post. I have seen the pictures and it really tugs on my heart. I already talked to my daughter about it. We already have the very $$$ excursion booked and it is one of the most cancelled tours due to weather. I do hope we get to do it, but do have very mixed feelings about seeing the dogs chained to their little igloos. I understand that it's all they have ever known and that they are working. If you are an animal lover, I don't see how that wouldn't bother you at all. But, to each his own.

On a side note, a few months ago we had to travel to Arkansas. It was literally freezing outside. The hotel was pet friendly. Just before 6AM every morning we would hear dogs incessantly barking outside our hotel window (which was on the side of the building). We were on the second floor and just below our window there were unmarked white SUVs with the back windows cracked a couple of inches. At the top of the windows, they had a grate of some kind. The dogs were police dogs in training. During the day, the dogs were trained there in the side parking lot outside our window. Since they were being trained, there was no "good dog" being said, not petting, etc. I felt so horrible for those dogs. So did my daughter. We didn't understand why they couldn't put the dogs in crates and let them sleep inside with the trainer/handler. It really bothered us.

Totally agree. I guess I don't have a problem with the dogs working and doing their job, I just get bothered that they have to stay outside in the cold when they're not working. But this is coming from a girl who sleeps with her husband and 3-5 dogs in a king bed every night :cool:

I would go on the excursion and look at it as an opportunity to learn more about the sled dogs. Sometimes our experiences and pre-conceived ideas are not quite correct. Go with an open mind and see for yourself.

Wild habitat. That is where the little critters get eaten by the bigger critters. And the bigger critters get eaten by even bigger critters, etc., etc., etc. In the end, the biggest critters die in the winter time because they can't find enough smaller critters to eat.

Do I have it right/ What is the mortality rate of wild animals as opposed to those who are not in the wild.

DON

I have a Nephew who participated in the Itidarod a couple of years ago and was very involved with the care of and training of the dogs. I visited with him during Christmas while the dogs and he were still being trained. I witnessed the care and concern that was given to the dogs. They ate better than many people do and their surroundings were kept cleaner than some people's homes. Even though they are "outdoor" dogs, they seemed happy and quite friendly.

Mountaineer 0313 - You have read my recent review so I know you know we stopped at the kennel formerly owned by Susan Butcher. Those dogs were BEGGING to pull that four wheeler. Dave had to chain it to the ground to keep the dogs from running off with it. The rest of the dogs that had to stay behind were going crazy because they were not running. I think when you see the excitement in the dogs to be doing what they love to do, your feelings might change. Either way, the decision is yours, Enjoy your adventure.

Mountaineer 0313 - You have read my recent review so I know you know we stopped at the kennel formerly owned by Susan Butcher. Those dogs were BEGGING to pull that four wheeler. Dave had to chain it to the ground to keep the dogs from running off with it. The rest of the dogs that had to stay behind were going crazy because they were not running. I think when you see the excitement in the dogs to be doing what they love to do, your feelings might change. Either way, the decision is yours, Enjoy your adventure.

Thank you! Loved your review!

Totally agree. I guess I don't have a problem with the dogs working and doing their job, I just get bothered that they have to stay outside in the cold when they're not working. But this is coming from a girl who sleeps with her husband and 3-5 dogs in a king bed every night :cool:

We had a malamute. His preference was -40F, and snow, on top of his dog house. He'd sleep in the garage if we INSISTED.... but it was always a negotiation to get him to do that. Still miss that big lovable guy.

It's an individual decision. BUT I find the naive "assumption" that the "dogs love to run", a feel good idea that may not be reality based. I instead can speculate the reason for running is because they are short tethered for their lives and darn "happy" to finally be loose.

It is unknown to say the least. But, I find claiming something that is unknown, talking to yourself.

We fostered a Husky. Her biological imperative was to RUN, regardless of how much exercise we mere humans gave her. She wanted to run, she NEEDED to run. She lived to run. She was never tethered on a short line, or confined to a dog house. She got two hours of hard exercise every day, plus animal and human companionship, and plenty of mental stimulation. Still, if she saw an opportunity, she would be out the door, full speed, chasing whatever she imagined was over the horizon. She would look over her shoulder for a nano-second before heading off, she'd wag her tail ever so slightly, and away she would go. So my experience is that not all dogs run because they are bored or receive sub-par treatment. She lived to run, as did other Huskies we have known.

• 3 weeks later...

these dogs are loved and really well cared for by their owners. These dogs LOVE to work and you will see how excited they get when they are hooked up to the sled. they start jumping around and wanting to pull it. THis is what they live to do.

interesting topic and very glad to see the discussion has remained intelligent and not based on emotional outbursts. I certainly considered this issue when booking, but knew it was something I would do. I consider it a learning experience and I intend learn whatever the dogs and mushers teach me. I was always dead set against dolphin excursions as they are largely abusive (not to say putting these beautiful mammals in aquariums and forcing labor is not inherently bad). I also have seen horror stories about certain operators.

Regardless we decided to visit one of these placed in Grand Cayman. I was literally blown away by our dolphin friend. I gained such respect for him and also realized that the people around me (many of whom had never even seen a dolphin) were equally amazed and educated. You could see how smart these mammals truly are and how caring, especially when working with children. Our dolphin was tasked with pushing people across the pool. When working with a child who was frightened and did not position properly, the dolphin showed uncanny patience. I see dolphins quite often in the open water and after the swim encounter, I feel I understand and respect them much more.

I would add that I am against any tours that force, in any way, animals to do anything. So in this instance, yes, I am against dog sledding. While they might like to run, does that mean they want to run with ropes attached to them pulling you around for your entertainment...I doubt that. Same as has already been mentioned with the dolphins. We have had numerous opportunities to do swim tours but always refused no matter how "good" the operators were to "their" animals. We finally had a chance to see these majestic creatures in the OPEN ocean where THEY decided if they wanted to interact with us. I just find it morally reprehensible to FORCE an animal to do anything because they cannot speak for themselves so we are all just assuming they enjoy it, but I don't believe that is up for us to decide for them.

I would add that I am against any tours that force, in any way, animals to do anything. So in this instance, yes, I am against dog sledding. While they might like to run, does that mean they want to run with ropes attached to them pulling you around for your entertainment...I doubt that. Same as has already been mentioned with the dolphins. We have had numerous opportunities to do swim tours but always refused no matter how "good" the operators were to "their" animals. We finally had a chance to see these majestic creatures in the OPEN ocean where THEY decided if they wanted to interact with us. I just find it morally reprehensible to FORCE an animal to do anything because they cannot speak for themselves so we are all just assuming they enjoy it, but I don't believe that is up for us to decide for them.

Dogs are sui generis in this regard, being by far and away the longest-domesticated animals. While there are evolutionary cousins of canis familiaris in the wild, in a deep sense dogs do not exist except in their relation with humans, including but not limited to their selective breeding for tasks like herding, hunting, and yes, running while pulling loads.

That's not to say that one can't abuse a dog. People do it all the time, and it's reprehensible. Just that with dogs, unlike most animals, one can't meaningfully speak of a "wild" one.