Mykonos Port (Royal)

Does anyone know the name of the Port in Mykonos? I'm using google maps to look at beach locations. Kind of nervous because we are going to go it alone (no tour) at this port. Just want to do beaches: one in the morning and return to ship for lunch; one in the afternoon.

We are not world travelers so I'm trying to figure out everything ahead of time.

What are the best beaches? If we get a taxi to take us to one do we make arrangements with that same taxi to pick us up at an arranged time? Or, will there be taxi stands at the beaches?

You will find more information if you look at the ports of call forums, but here is a link to the one for Greece.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

The ship docks adjacent to the ferry port (on Google maps, just follow the dotted lines from the other islands), about 1.5 miles up the road from the town center. Most of the resort type beaches are on the southern end of the island, south of the airport, about a 20-30 minute taxi ride away.

There is a water taxi service, from next to where the ship normally docks, to the town. €2.50 return just under 2 years ago. Great beaches just there, no need to go far.

There is also a beach near to the ship but is not great.

The dock is about 1 mile from town........

Sometimes they dock, sometimes they anchor near the dock and tender to the dock or tender to town, sometimes they anchor near town and tender to town. We have done it each way in the past.

When docked or tendered to the dock away from town we always walk to town. It's about a 20 minute walk and you can see town from the dock/ship.

The Royal docks a 5 min drive + 5 min walk from the main town area of Mykonos. Taxis do come to the port. Alternatively, you can buy tickets for the Princess shuttle or take the local water taxi. I will warn you that the water taxi did cause 4 Pax to almost miss the ship because it can run on island time. There is a beach to the left of the port, but it didn't look like it had a walkable path to it. I'm sorry I don't have beach info. We like to walk around the town and eat at Katerina's in Little Venice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a nice beach in town walking distance to restaurants and the like. When we were there, we docked 1.5 miles from town. My daughter and I tried to walk it (as the shuttle people were done for the day--at Noon!-- in driving people to town.) A cab stopped and we took that, and then took a cab back. It is not an easy walk; very rocky. The shuttle was full and stopped running, stranding 4 passengers in town with no shuttle (the driver refused them because he was full, and announced he wasn't coming back), no available taxi, and a ship which was asking if these four were on the ship. I was at customer service for some reason when one of the husbands was having it out with the customer service manager, who was rather unapologetic. The problem was that no one on the ship had their passports, as they had been collected for the Turkish authorities. Thus, had they been stranded, they might have really been stranded.

At the end of the cruise I went to give our maitre d' an extra tip as he had been extraordinarily helpful. I was sent to the Crown Grill where senior staff was discussing Mykonos. The Captain, who we had met several times (including as our officiant at a vow renewal) asked me about Mykonos, and when I started to reference the shuttle issue, he said that they were all very aware of the incident. The maitre d' told me later that night that the customer involved had called Hq to complain about how he had been treated.

There is a nice beach in town walking distance to restaurants and the like. When we were there, we docked 1.5 miles from town. My daughter and I tried to walk it (as the shuttle people were done for the day--at Noon!-- in driving people to town.) A cab stopped and we took that, and then took a cab back. It is not an easy walk; very rocky. The shuttle was full and stopped running, stranding 4 passengers in town with no shuttle (the driver refused them because he was full, and announced he wasn't coming back), no available taxi, and a ship which was asking if these four were on the ship. I was at customer service for some reason when one of the husbands was having it out with the customer service manager, who was rather unapologetic. The problem was that no one on the ship had their passports, as they had been collected for the Turkish authorities. Thus, had they been stranded, they might have really been stranded.

The passports in question would be turned over to the port agent before the ship sailed if they could not locate the passengers. So they would have their passports.

We were in Mykonos last week. In addition to the transportation options mentioned, the city bus picks up at the pier and drops off at the exact same place as the Princess Shuttle. Princess Shuttle, $10.00, city bus 1.60 Euro. Easy decision. We always walk but it was dangerous as the roads are very narrow and there is no shoulder / sidewalk so wouldn't recommend it.

If you take the city bus in, you can take the Princess Shuttle back as they don't ask for tickets. They really can't because folks on tours can take the Princess Shuttle back as it is considered part of the tour. After the tour they didn't have tickets and several didn't keep that silly tour sticker Princess provides.

We were in Mykonos last week. In addition to the transportation options mentioned, the city bus picks up at the pier and drops off at the exact same place as the Princess Shuttle. Princess Shuttle, $10.00, city bus 1.60 Euro. Easy decision. We always walk but it was dangerous as the roads are very narrow and there is no shoulder / sidewalk so wouldn't recommend it.

If you take the city bus in, you can take the Princess Shuttle back as they don't ask for tickets. They really can't because folks on tours can take the Princess Shuttle back as it is considered part of the tour. After the tour they didn't have tickets and several didn't keep that silly tour sticker Princess provides.

Is exact change required?