Do they change the comforters on the beds between sailings?

I hope/assume the answer is an obvious yes, but does anyone know for sure?

For example, I'm sure they don't change the throw pillows on the couch. For all you know the previous occupant could have drooled all over it taking a nap.

Last time I was on a cruise the comforters had a duvet cover on them. I assume that the duvet is what gets washed and changed, not the entire comforter.

For example, I'm sure they don't change the throw pillows on the couch. For all you know the previous occupant could have drooled all over it taking a nap.

Funny you asked this question. My DD, DGD, and I recently went to Santa Cruz and stayed in an oceanview hotel steps from the ocean. My DD went to move the throw pillow on the bed and noticed something suspicious on it. She called right away and they came and got the pillows. It was never replaced. The hotel claimed they washed everything in the room between guests..well this wasn't:eek: Needless to say we got a full cleaning of all of the washable items of our cabin.

The entire cabin cannot be "sanitized" every time. How dirty do you think others are? You are a human, too...we are all just as "dirty" as another. You don't need to worry, unless you're planning on licking the throw pillows! Lord have mercy! That's why we have IMMUNE systems! They work well....otherwise, humans would have died out LONG ago!

When I saw the title of this thread, I told myself NOT to open it (germaphobe here) but clearly I didn't listen. I was really hoping someone would say YES they change out the comforters. But so far that is no one's answer. UGH! I know they do not usually do it in hotels (so they end up not getting used) but I was really hoping that was not the case on cruise ships.

Yes they do.

That's probably not drool...

Super gross, and totally true.

I have always heard that comforters don't get changed in hotels unless they are showing visible signs of dirt and gross.

I realize we have immune systems and such, but I don't have any desire to cuddle up with someone else's intimate moments, and I have seen people kick their feet up on the couches (and pillows) with their shoes on...shoes that have been in the bathroom where toilets overflow and sometimes children (or squatting adults) accidentally pee on the floor. Do I want to lay my head down and take a nap on pee pillows? No. Sperm pillows? Absolutely not. Hotel (and cruise rooms) are gross. You can't avoid it if you want to take a vacation, but I disinfect as many surfaces as I can, and I never nap on the couch, or sit on it in pajamas that I will later curl up with under clean sheets. "Outside" clothes only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to worry about germs, stay away from the buffet. Another person's dead skin or drool on a sheet-covered douvet never harmed anyone. We are, after all, animals who share common spaces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want to worry about germs, stay away from the buffet. Another person's dead skin or drool on a sheet-covered douvet never harmed anyone. We are, after all, animals who share common spaces.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The way I look at it is.... If I can not see it, smell it, feel it or taste it who cares. Disinfecting something may kill gems but does not mean it has removed anything that is already there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I'm honestly shocked. I realize they can't change each comforter with every turn down, but after a weeklong sailing they don't swap them out for clean ones?

This is horrifying. I'm going to start specifically asking my cabin steward to change out the comforter with a fresh one on the first day.

qoap24.. Once you get settled in your room and meet your room steward, you can certainly ask for that to be washed. I ask for our bed sheets to be changed daily, and have never had a problem. Happy Sailing!!

"daily" ??? without being too personal but is there a reason? Do you do this at home as well?

Boy, I feel totally filthy using a bath towel two days in a row after my shower.... if people are changing bed linens every day.

;p So.....many times, we have ran back into our room to pick up something we forgot and the room guy is in there. I have witnessed other room people in our room chatting or whatever, but also sitting on our sheets!! No, I do not change at home daily.... I am not a germ freak..and my husband is correcting me stating, they change every other day...so ok...they are changed frequently during our cruise. Just my thing....

Do you change your's @home weekly? :confused:

;p So.....many times, we have ran back into our room to pick up something we forgot and the room guy is in there. I have witnessed other room people in our room chatting or whatever, but also sitting on our sheets!! No, I do not change at home daily.... I am not a germ freak..and my husband is correcting me stating, they change every other day...so ok...they are changed frequently during our cruise. Just my thing....

so what happens if those rogue trespassers sit on the sheets after they were already changed......☺

no judgment just asking

I don't know if NCL still does it this way but sometime during the evening after they take the luggage, these very large brown paper bags appear outside the cabins. On de-barkation morning, when you vacate your room and walk the halls, Ive seen the beds completely stripped and the bags full with linens.

On other lines when they are cleaning the room once you vacate, the beds are stripped. I'm sure they wash the duvet also on turn around day.

The other thing about the comforters (minus other guests bodily fluids) is that I've seen people put their suitcases on the bed. Suitcases get rolled around to a lot of places on their journey. They've also been rolled into bathrooms. I've even accidentally wheeled my suitcase through dog poop. I don't put my suitcase on the bed, but what if I did? Do you want to sleep in a dog poop bed?

People also often take the comforters off the bed and throw them in a corner on the floor for the week. They get put back on the bed after that guest checks out.

I just asked a friend of mine who worked at Hampton Inn many years ago as a housekeeper. She confirmed that they did not change the top blanket (comforter), sometimes for MONTHS at a time. That is really gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums