Cruisetour question...

aloanldy

I see that people post that they booked the Tundra Wilderness tour on their own. My cruisetour includes the Denali Natural history tour and says I can upgrade to the Tundra wilderness tour through my tour director. If I wait and do that thru the tour director when i'm on the land portion of my cruise tour am I only going to get the crappy time to go into Denali?

If I book on my own, do I miss the Natural history tour, and is it worth seeing?

I'm so afraid i'm going to miss a "must see or must do".

Charlie

The NHT only goes to mile 16 out of 100 miles of park rd. People can drive their own cars that far .....and there's even a free shuttle to mile 16.

The TWT goes to mile 63. A lot deeper into the park to enjoy the scenery and more opportunity to see wildlife. I believe you are assigned a time 2 or 3 days prior

Better yet, book the shuttle to Eielson. 1/3 the cost, goes to mile 66, stops at the visitor center where there are rangers, exhibits, trails, water, and a bus dispatcher if you decide to take a later bus. The shuttles leave every 30 minutes so YOU pick the time. However, you need to take your own liunch and drink, and arrange to to take the lodge shuttle to the park.

Info about the tours/shuttles and their schedules :

http://www.reservedenali.com/tours-shuttles/shuttles/eielson-visitor-center/

Mapleleaves -

So if I book the Shuttle to Eielson, do I bypass the cruisetour itinerary for that day? or am I getting the shuttle from someone in the park after the NHT. Sorry, I'm just not clear on how the cruisetour part works with the NHT and the TWT.

Thank you,

Charlie

You would book the eielson shuttle independently. Or ask your TA.

If you're on a Princess tour, they run a shuttle hourly to the Wilderness Access Center (WAC) which is where you board the eielson shuttle.

If you are not with princess, check your lodge to see how often they run shuttles to the WAC.

Obviously theres a little more work to go independent, but all you need to do is make the Eielson reservation, get yourself to/from the Wac (hopefully thru your lodge), pick up a sack lunch from your hotel.

I see that people post that they booked the Tundra Wilderness tour on their own. My cruisetour includes the Denali Natural history tour and says I can upgrade to the Tundra wilderness tour through my tour director. If I wait and do that thru the tour director when i'm on the land portion of my cruise tour am I only going to get the crappy time to go into Denali?

If I book on my own, do I miss the Natural history tour, and is it worth seeing?

Charlie

I refunded my Tundra wilderness tour and purchased wonderlake shuttle tickets on my own. Saved several hundred dollars

Charlie

My opinion, it's not worth spending all that transit time and not get INTO the park. The NHT is way lacking in my opinion.

What company are you with? princess does refund, (wonder where post 5,got that information :) :) )

How many nights are you at Denali? IF 2, and your Denali tour with the cruise tour is not refundable, they certainly take advantage of you paying for it and go. But if you are only there one night, it would depend on several factors- what time the included tour is, your mode of transport to and from where? some short cruise tours- just can't accommodate a longer park tour.

The NHT only goes to mile 16 out of 100 miles of park rd. People can drive their own cars that far .....and there's even a free shuttle to mile 16.

The TWT goes to mile 63. A lot deeper into the park to enjoy the scenery and more opportunity to see wildlife. I believe you are assigned a time 2 or 3 days prior

Better yet, book the shuttle to Eielson. 1/3 the cost, goes to mile 66, stops at the visitor center where there are rangers, exhibits, trails, water, and a bus dispatcher if you decide to take a later bus. The shuttles leave every 30 minutes so YOU pick the time. However, you need to take your own liunch and drink, and arrange to to take the lodge shuttle to the park.

Info about the tours/shuttles and their schedules :

http://www.reservedenali.com/tours-shuttles/shuttles/eielson-visitor-center/

Your information is not accurate. months ago, the Park Service changed the tour distances. The NHT goes to mile 30 and the TWT now goes to Eielson. (when it opened June 1) This has been running all this season.

My opinion, it's not worth spending all that transit time and not get INTO the park. The NHT is way lacking in my opinion.

What company are you with? princess does refund, (wonder where post 5,got that information :) :) )

How many nights are you at Denali? IF 2, and your Denali tour with the cruise tour is not refundable, they certainly take advantage of you paying for it and go. But if you are only there one night, it would depend on several factors- what time the included tour is, your mode of transport to and from where? some short cruise tours- just can't accommodate a longer park tour.

also refunded the dinner theater :)

for the price of upgrading NHT to TWT you still may be better off booking on your own a shuttle bus- but can't answer this unless know how much time do you have, what tickets are still available, etc.

celebrity may not refund like princess.

whatever you are going to do- I would decide now- if you wait will you risk it being sold out and no longer an option.

Aloanldy,

We talked to the land part of X and they did not offer any hope of us using any credit for the Denali Natural History Tour for an upgrade to the Kantishna Experience. We did not want to risk waiting till we meet with the guy in Anchorage and run the risk that day would be booked up. Friends had done the whole road and assured us it was worth it. I know you can save with the shuttle and they do talk about what is going on just like the tour bus. BUT, we read also that the shuttle does have to keep on schedule and the tour can stop when critters are found so we decided to blow the big bucks at take the whole enchilada.

Also, they pick you up and drop you off at the Village; don't have to mess with the Village shuttle bus mismatching. We go early.

Your information is not accurate. months ago, the Park Service changed the tour distances. The NHT goes to mile 30 and the TWT now goes to Eielson. (when it opened June 1) This has been running all this season.

I did the Tundra Wilderness Tour this month and it turned around at the 63 mark and did not go to the visitor center.

At the beginning of this season, the TWT "was" scheduled to go to Eielson. I was there 2 weeks ago, went through Eielson and TWT buses WERE there. It now appears they are back to only going to Stoney Hill, being changed in the past week???

I strive for accurate information, and thanks to other posters, this appears to be the current information- Back to Stoney Hill for the TWT.

I do know that the dispatcher was having a heck of a time with all the buses at Eielson.

Aloanldy,

We talked to the land part of X and they did not offer any hope of us using any credit for the Denali Natural History Tour for an upgrade to the Kantishna Experience. We did not want to risk waiting till we meet with the guy in Anchorage and run the risk that day would be booked up. Friends had done the whole road and assured us it was worth it. I know you can save with the shuttle and they do talk about what is going on just like the tour bus. BUT, we read also that the shuttle does have to keep on schedule and the tour can stop when critters are found so we decided to blow the big bucks at take the whole enchilada.

Also, they pick you up and drop you off at the Village; don't have to mess with the Village shuttle bus mismatching. We go early.

And the tour buses don't have to keep a schedule? Sorry, what you are repeating is totally inaccurate and a disservice to facts.

Both, shuttle and tour buses stop multiple times for wildlife. Plenty of viewing opportunities with shuttle buses, PLUS the benefit of getting farther into the park compared to the TWT and NHT, at an extremely low cost. Can be huge benefits for some.

At the beginning of this season, the TWT "was" scheduled to go to Eielson. I was there 2 weeks ago, went through Eielson and TWT buses WERE there. It now appears they are back to only going to Stoney Hill, being changed in the past week???

I strive for accurate information, and thanks to other posters, this appears to be the current information- Back to Stoney Hill for the TWT.

I do know that the dispatcher was having a heck of a time with all the buses at Eielson.

I did the TWT on 6/8 to the 63 mark.

So I stated per Smokeater55

Aloanldy,

And the tour buses don't have to keep a schedule? Sorry, what you are repeating is totally inaccurate and a disservice to facts.

Both, shuttle and tour buses stop multiple times for wildlife. Plenty of viewing opportunities with shuttle buses, PLUS the benefit of getting farther into the park compared to the TWT and NHT, at an extremely low cost. Can be huge benefits for some.

Ok BudgetQueen, I'm not making stuff up. I admit I've not gone yet so I'm depending on the web content of the contractor that is running the bus, Doyon, Limited Aramark:

Go to Tours & Shuttles, Pick Shuttles, Kantishna, and open the tab for Boarding Transit Shuttle: and I'll find

"While Transit buses often stop for photographs and to view park wildlife and scenery, the Transit system is a scheduled service and drivers are required to stay on schedule. "

Now if you have first hand info that on a trip you took you did not have a problem, swell. I'm just pointing out fact as documented.

Have a blessed day.

Budget Queen, Mapleleaves and every one else -

- I'm with Celebrity. Not so worried about getting a credit or refund as I am with getting to see everything and getting good times to go.

I am on a 5 day tour pre cruise. 1) arriving in Anchorage and spending night. 2) Taking the wilderness express to Talkeetna. I'll have rest of afternoon to flightsee or float trip or zipline. 3) Talkeetna/Denali (says i'll have afternoon and evening to explore this beautiful city). 4) Denali, spend the morning immersed in Alaska's stunning Wilderness on the Denali National History tour. The remainder of afternoon and evening free to explore Denali on my own or partake in an additional excursion. For an additional charge, an upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour is available thru your tour director. 5) Denali/anchorage/Alyeska(girdwood). Taking a motor coach to Anchorage and girdwood then spending night in Alyeska.

So here's my real questions. I want to book a flightseeing tour of Mt McKinley. So when I book independently do I book for day two afternoon? If I want to do the trip into Denali for the full ride and I book independently to Eielsen am I booking it for day 4 and not going to Denali with cruisetour? This is where I get confused, as I've never done a cruisetour before and I'm confused as to when and where to skip something.

Thank you for your help everyone.

Charlie

you would have to check the rail times to see exact time of arrival on day 3 but my guess without looking is if you look at arrival time and then look on website for booking a shuttle bus- you will likely be arriving too late.

your best option is probably day 4- skip NHT and change to shuttle bus on your own to wherever you want to go eilson, wonder lake, etc- since you have the full day you can go on any of them assuming they are still available.

OR upgrade with Celebrity to TWT

looks like on the 26th you only have one option for Kantishna shuttle at 845 am

and TWT only has 2 options one in the am and one in afternoon

this was only looking for one seat - so not sure how many people in your group.

wonder lake has about 6 option for times

I refunded my Tundra wilderness tour and purchased wonderlake shuttle tickets on my own. Saved several hundred dollars

how are you able to book these tours on your own do you know the exact time you are getting into Denali ? I do not have arrival or departure times for my pre cruise destinations. Where would I get this last time I called Celebrity they could not tell me anything about this? Thanks

Talkeetna — Denali11:20 AM3:40 PMJuly 25- above seems to be the only option if talkeetna to Denali is by rail- but there is a good possibility- this segment is via bus tour.

Anchorage8:15 AMTalkeetna11:05 AMThe Wilderness Express private dome rail cars are attached to the Alaska Railroad's Denali Star train, and consequently operate on the same schedule listed below. The Wilderness Express operating dates can fluctuate on the first and last few days of the season, you can check current availability here. The McKinley Explorer private dome rail cars operate on the separate schedule shown below. Contact us for schedule if your desired route or segment is not shown.

this is the Denali star schedule

Northbound From/ToDepartArriveAnchorage — Wasilla8:15 AM9:30 AMWasilla* — Talkeetna9:35 AM11:05 AM

sorry cut & pasting didn't work so well above-

I have not done cruise tour with celebrity- but you should be able to contact the tour desk.

I received my entire itinerary the day I booked cruise. what I am doing by bs, what my rail, etc. but if you don't have this info and you are going by rail it should be easy to do above detective work on your own- its my understanding all of these rail trips are attached to the Alaska railroad times (I might be wrong).

if its via bus it will be hard to guess .

for original poster- they know they are available the entire second day so can easily book a trip that day

Cluffsb - I don't have exact times either. That is why i'm asking questions and trying to figure out how everyone else can seem to book independently and get the good times.

i'm just trying to get to do all the things i want and not miss out.

tamsocal - thank you. I am curious if i can just skip day 4 on the cruisetour and do my own thing and book the bus or tour I want into Denali?

I want to do the flightseeing on day 2. I'm going to call and see if I can do that independently as well before I leave.

Feeling rushed as my trip starts 7/23.

Charlie

Cluffsb - I don't have exact times either. That is why i'm asking questions and trying to figure out how everyone else can seem to book independently and get the good times.

tamsocal - thank you. I am curious if i can just skip day 4 on the cruisetour and do my own thing and book the bus or tour I want into Denali?

I want to do the flightseeing on day 2. I'm going to call and see if I can do that independently as well before I leave.

Charlie

yes you can skip NHT on day 4 - won't effect anything negatively for you- just tell your tour guide in advance so they aren't looking for you or waiting.

I would book soon- the tours and buses look limited

feeling rushed.... I am on a 7 day count down LOL

Charlie

do you know if you are traveling via rail the first segment? anchorage to talkeetna