13 year old using fitness center

I did search and found that RCI says kids 13-15 can use the fitness center at certain times and with the parent supervising. I was just wondering if anyone ever did this and to see if there were any problems with it. My son is a competitive swimmer and just made some regional competitions (big deal for a kid doing this less than 2 years! Proud Mom!!), and the competition is the weekend after we get back from our vacation. We'll be in Indy for the 8 night European cruise. I told him the days we're in port, he'll be getting in a lot of walking, so that will be good. But he was hoping for the days we're at sea, he could go to the fitness center and use some of the weights or a rowing machine, if they had one. I have no problem staying with him to supervise, and it would be during the day most likely. He's been doing to the fitness center at the hotels we stay at during the last year, he's always been respectful to anyone else and the equipment. I understand the need for age restrictions, but just wanted to see if anyone else had done this. When we're here at home, he's swimming 15 hours/week and 4 hours of dryland training with his coach, so he'll be missing a lot!

I did search and found that RCI says kids 13-15 can use the fitness center at certain times and with the parent supervising. I was just wondering if anyone ever did this and to see if there were any problems with it. My son is a competitive swimmer and just made some regional competitions (big deal for a kid doing this less than 2 years! Proud Mom!!), and the competition is the weekend after we get back from our vacation.

My now 15-year-old will be lifting again when we get on LOS, and did last time when he was 13 with no issues. His Dad was always with him, and he uses the equipment correctly. He said a couple of kids were asked to leave when he was there (they were slamming plates) and were rude...but when the attendant asked him he told him he was with his Dad and no issues. (The other kids were unsupervised.) Now he's taller than his Dad so I doubt he'll be asked. ;) He's training for water polo/swim so we get it...can't miss training! And congrats to your son!

I would 10000 times love to share the fitness center with this driven young athlete! I really don't think he's going to be given any trouble as long as you are there - he sounds like he knows what's up and it's not as if he'll be playing on the equipment.

Thanks everyone! And yes, I am a proud mom for sure. He's only been doing this type of swimming for less than 2 years, and he's really started to reach these goals just in the past month. Not only that, the events he's doing are some of the harder ones, with many fewer kids competing. He's doing the 100 Fly, the 200 Fly, and the 400 IM - for anyone who's a swimmer.

I'm sure he's not the only kid who is going to be on vacation before this competition too. There are like 3 kids on his team alone that will be figuring out some workout schedules while they're on their own vacations. It's just that time of year.

My kid used the weight room at a young age and nobody said a word.

Actually the only people that care are some of the busy-bodies on this site..

The busy bodies are just trying to give an honest answer as far as rules (in some cases can be a question of insurance). If you kid had hurt himself you probably wouldn't have been happy.

Most times I have seen 16 as the age cutoff; usually posted, or staff will comment or ask a child's age. However, children supervised and under the control of their parents are usually fine. They just don't need a bunch of unsupervised kids in there who may break equipment, or get hurt.

Note that the document has the word "may" underlined, so there is always a chance he will be turned away. Can you get a letter from your son's team coach to say that he is a competitive athlete training for a competition to show to the gym staff, just in case?

Also, if you are able to choose a less busy time for him to go to the gym, that might help avoid problems too. For example, if it will work with your dinner time, I have always found that 6pm-ish is pretty quiet.

Hope it works out. Good luck for the competition. :)

My 13yo DD used the gym with her mom with no troubles. If they are acting up they should be asked to leave with someone or not (along with the parent). If they are behaving responsibly they should have no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My daughter was competitive swimmer and is now a competitive water polo player, she still swims but only high school and club. She used the gym starting at around 13 with her dad and had no issues. Its against the rules but no one ever said anything to her and most likely no one ever noticed. If he is a tall, big 13 YO you will be fine (if he looks close to 16 ) if he is smaller( looks 13)......someone might say something to him/you. Be respectful and explain the situation.

Its not like the check ID at the door. Some ships have a lap swim time very early in the morning but that's a joke. Because real swimmers would not even surface in the length of the pool. Its like 2 strokes, flip, 2 strokes, flip, 2 strokes, flip.

On port days she did open water swimming in the ocean. Not a fan of the salt water but it got a good workout in. She would treadmill, elliptical and lift on sea days. She would also do treading drills and egg beaters in the middle of the pools early in the morning. She runs the stairs all day long, except in her dress clothing. Her trainer gave her a simple free weight workout. Nothing using machine because you don't know what machines they will have.

I would 10000 times love to share the fitness center with this driven young athlete! I really don't think he's going to be given any trouble as long as you are there - he sounds like he knows what's up and it's not as if he'll be playing on the equipment.

As one along with DW who visit the gym while on board almost every day (I like to try to skip occasionally when on vacation, but not my wife) I completely agree with this post. its more about respect in the gym than age. Actually doing a workout is respectful and chances are no one will say anything

Good luck to him at regional

<p>

As one along with DW who visit the gym while on board almost every day (I like to try to skip occasionally when on vacation, but not my wife) I completely agree with this post. its more about respect in the gym than age. Actually doing a workout is respectful and chances are no one will say anything

Good luck to him at regional</p><br>

I can't see why anyone would concern themselves with a younger person working out as long as a "responsible" adult was with them. I have personally never seen a kid in the gym acting up on ships I have been on. Not saying it's never happened but really, people worry about what others are doing with their own children way too much.

My daughter was competitive swimmer and is now a competitive water polo player, she still swims but only high school and club. She used the gym starting at around 13 with her dad and had no issues. Its against the rules but no one ever said anything to her and most likely no one ever noticed. If he is a tall, big 13 YO you will be fine (if he looks close to 16 ) if he is smaller( looks 13)......someone might say something to him/you. Be respectful and explain the situation.

Its not like the check ID at the door. Some ships have a lap swim time very early in the morning but that's a joke. Because real swimmers would not even surface in the length of the pool. Its like 2 strokes, flip, 2 strokes, flip, 2 strokes, flip.

On port days she did open water swimming in the ocean. Not a fan of the salt water but it got a good workout in. She would treadmill, elliptical and lift on sea days. She would also do treading drills and egg beaters in the middle of the pools early in the morning. She runs the stairs all day long, except in her dress clothing. Her trainer gave her a simple free weight workout. Nothing using machine because you don't know what machines they will have.

Yeah, if we were going to the Caribbean, he could do some open water swimming, but we're going to Europe! LOL! Old cities, lots of walking, no water. And yeah, any pools on ships aren't made for any real swimming. ;)

Thanks again for the input from everyone. He is a bit smaller, he's not some massive 13 year old (sorry, genetics aren't in his favor for being tall! LOL!). But I also realize it's always about how he acts. I would expect anyone, despite their age, to be kicked out if they're being rude or disrespectful. I'll see if his coach can give him some workout ideas, although he also has things I'm sure he knows to do from their daily workouts anyway.

Yeah, if we were going to the Caribbean, he could do some open water swimming, but we're going to Europe! LOL! Old cities, lots of walking, no water. And yeah, any pools on ships aren't made for any real swimming. ;)

Thanks again for the input from everyone. He is a bit smaller, he's not some massive 13 year old (sorry, genetics aren't in his favor for being tall! LOL!). But I also realize it's always about how he acts. I would expect anyone, despite their age, to be kicked out if they're being rude or disrespectful. I'll see if his coach can give him some workout ideas, although he also has things I'm sure he knows to do from their daily workouts anyway.

How about a decent run onboard? Maybe x 2 a day. Works his legs and wind...

I did search and found that RCI says kids 13-15 can use the fitness center at certain times and with the parent supervising. I was just wondering if anyone ever did this and to see if there were any problems with it. My son is a competitive swimmer and just made some regional competitions (big deal for a kid doing this less than 2 years! Proud Mom!!), and the competition is the weekend after we get back from our vacation. We'll be in Indy for the 8 night European cruise. I told him the days we're in port, he'll be getting in a lot of walking, so that will be good. But he was hoping for the days we're at sea, he could go to the fitness center and use some of the weights or a rowing machine, if they had one. I have no problem staying with him to supervise, and it would be during the day most likely. He's been doing to the fitness center at the hotels we stay at during the last year, he's always been respectful to anyone else and the equipment. I understand the need for age restrictions, but just wanted to see if anyone else had done this. When we're here at home, he's swimming 15 hours/week and 4 hours of dryland training with his coach, so he'll be missing a lot!

Just chiming in to say my DD was a competitive gymnast, so she worked out regularly onboard from age 13 . We did try to go when it would likely be less busy, and I was with her at all times. No one ever questioned us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And they shouldn't question you. But there are busy bodies everywhere who make it their life's goal to try to control the actions of others. Being in law enforcement I see it all the time. Nosy neighbors calling because someone is just walking down the street and they "don't look like they belong" or the leaves from the house next door are blowing in their yard, or a car not theirs is parked at the curb in front of their house. Sorry, it's a public roadway, it's gonna happen. I'll stop now, but I have millions(overly dramatic exaggeration) of em.

Anyone who wants to should be able to work out as long as they aren't abusing the machines or others working out.

And of course the younger gym rats among us should probably have some supervision.

Just curious, not judging, but why is it not OK for well behaved children, accompanied by an adult, to be in the solarium.

They would take up space that is supposed to be for adults. It's hard enough to find space when the crew will not handle the chair hog problem.

Just curious, not judging, but why is it not OK for well behaved children, accompanied by an adult, to be in the solarium.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I don't mind cruising with kids, and will happily share many spaces with them. But having a place to go that is JUST for adults is such a nice treat when hubby and I want to get away. It has nothing to do with how well behaved or not kids are in the space...and EVERYTHING to do with being able to relax as an adult with no kiddos around. With an entire ship to share, carving out that tiny space for adults only seems pretty fair... [emoji6]