Getting EU coins -- before our VOV arrival in Rotterdam

OlsSalt

Interesting challenge on our VOV Roll Call - getting EU coins to use to purchase train tickets in Rotterdam - the train station kiosks only take coins or Dutch bank account credit cards. And lines can be long at the ticket windows to purchase a ticket in any other way.

Typically one cannot get EU coins prior to trip in the US. And shops near the train station we hear are getting reluctant to change EU bills to coins - trying to use them for a small purchase to get the coins hopefully in the right numbers and denominations.

Any other tips on getting EU coins in the denominations we need for train tickets - this will be our first EU stop on the VOV. Banks may be closed the day we arrive.

Many want to go to Delft which is just 10 minutes away by train, but this ticket purchase barrier is getting to be a real challenge. I know HAL often has currency available at the front desk, but has anyone tried to get coins?

We took the train out of Rotterdam a few weeks ago and purchased our tickets on b Europe. No problem at all. They are normally open about 90 days before the date.

When I passed by the ticket purchase machine, it looked to me like they took regular chip and pin visa cards but we already had our tickets.

Had you found this in your research?

"For non-residents it is possible to buy Dutch domestic rail e-tickets on the Belgian Rail's international site B-Europe - they accept a range of credit and debit cards."

Thank you. Yes we found something similar using the French RR system. Using a credit card and getting an e-ticket up front.

Problem is having to order the time and tickets ahead of time. Plans on the day of arrival, along with the weather may change. Still looking for ways to obtain EU coins, so this can be an easy same day purchase.

Thanks for checking.

We will be in Greenland and Iceland before Rotterdam. Though they are not on the EURO, their Danish Kroner is exchangeable for Euros. I wonder if their banks might have EU coins available, or only bills.

We will be in Greenland and Iceland before Rotterdam. Though they are not on the EURO, their Danish Kroner is exchangeable for Euros. I wonder if their banks might have EU coins available, or only bills.

NO ONE wants coins. They can't be exchanged outside of the country. Only bills can.

No foreign bank or ship will have them to the very best of my knowledge as they can't be exchanged.

Normally in a foreign country even if you pay in euros the change will be in the currency of the country - in this case the Kroner.

Rather than go to the work (and time) of finding a bank or making a purchase, I would just buy the train ticket. If you are there early, even better. Rotterdam train station is a site to see all on it's own.

Anyone having luck getting EU coins at the Front Desk?

We arrive in Rotterdam on Sunday, so many normal possibilities in town most likely may not be available - like banks or even news kiosks etc where one can buy something small, just to get coins in change.

Wouldn't it be great if the train station had a coins for bills change machine, but I have not been able to track that down. I'll look into your Iceland suggestion about a currency changer. Thanks.

We arrive in Rotterdam on Sunday, so many normal possibilities in town most likely may not be available - like banks or even news kiosks etc where one can buy something small, just to get coins in change.

Wouldn't it be great if the train station had a coins for bills change machine, but I have not been able to track that down. I'll look into your Iceland suggestion about a currency changer. Thanks.

I thought I was clear earlier, but the ship does NOT have coins. They carry bills only (like most places). Easier to exchange later if need be.

In most of our citys, including Rotterdam, 99% of the shops are open on sundays. Get some euro notes from the ATM and buy a cup of coffee. Thats the cheapest way to get coins and 5/10/20 notes

Ask your friends who have been to Europe recently if they have some leftover coins. I just got home yesterday and put all my coins in the charity donation envelope on the airplane before I disembarked, but if I had known a friend was going to Europe soon, I'd have saved them.

Despite that, I bet I have at least $20 in euro coins scattered around the house in odd drawers, suitcases, and the bottom of my backpack.

Ask your friends who have been to Europe recently if they have some leftover coins. I just got home yesterday and put all my coins in the charity donation envelope on the airplane before I disembarked, but if I had known a friend was going to Europe soon, I'd have saved them.

Despite that, I bet I have at least $20 in euro coins scattered around the house in odd drawers, suitcases, and the bottom of my backpack.

We just rummaged our left over currency jar and only found 6 Euros in coins, but 80 Euros in bills. Think I will make a point of getting some EU coins to store before we leave this time - Ireland will be our last EU stop on this cruise. Plus to prevent the drama of not having the right coins to get into pay toilets.

I thought I was clear earlier, but the ship does NOT have coins. They carry bills only (like most places). Easier to exchange later if need be.

Actually you said "to the best of my knowledge" ships would not have coins. So good reason to keep asking.

Actually you said "to the best of my knowledge" ships would not have coins. So good reason to keep asking.

My knowledge was based on 30 years of cruising primarily in Europe.

To expect the ship to have coins is an unreasonable expectation IMO that will only lead to disappointment. JMVO

My knowledge was based on 30 years of cruising primarily in Europe.

To expect the ship to have coins is an unreasonable expectation IMO that will only lead to disappointment. JMVO

No one is expecting anything. Just asking. And hoping - "Dutch" ship and all ...... it has become a novel challenge, even for someone like myself who lived in Europe for four years and has been cruising around the world since the 1970's, if these credentials must be included now in any reasonable travel enquiries made on this forum.

No one is expecting anything. Just asking. And hoping - "Dutch" ship and all ...... it has become a novel challenge, even for someone like myself who lived in Europe for four years and has been cruising around the world since the 1970's, if these credentials must be included now in any reasonable travel enquiries made on this forum.

Sorry I tried to help. I won't make that error again.

I was trying to make the point that they won't be there. Hold out hope if you choose to but...

Dutch ship or not, coins are not a reasonable expectation on a ship.

The last time we were in Rotterdam we went to the train station to buy tickets to Delft. The machines would not accept our US-based credit or debit cards and also would not take Euro bills. So we went upstairs (in the station) to the main ticket office where we had to take a number and wait about 20 minutes...to get to the counter. We were able to buy tickets using Euro bills at the ticket office...but think we might have paid a small extra fee (for not using the machines). This all happened a few years ago....and have no clue if the situation has improved. The ticket agent (at the Rotterdam station) spoke perfect English and she did apologize for the situation...telling us that the Amsterdam Central Station is the only Dutch station that is tourist friendly when it comes to accepting credit cards.

Hank

Hey Old Salt; pretty sure you can pay with any visa card at the NS (Dutch railways) ticket booths at the stations. Plus the folks manning them all habla ingles 😅

I believe she doesn't want to stand in line at the booth to buy tickets with a chip & sig card. The kiosks require a chip & PIN card, still a rarity in the US.

Do a little Internet search on your favorite engine for "Euro coin sellers" - see if any offer "tourist" coins...

I believe she doesn't want to stand in line at the booth to buy tickets with a chip & sig card. The kiosks require a chip & PIN card, still a rarity in the US.

Do a little Internet search on your favorite engine for "Euro coin sellers" - see if any offer "tourist" coins...

Ah, copy that SG, thanks for enlightening me 😁 line wasn't that long last time we were in it but, then again suppose it could be

Ebay has a bunch for sale, but unfortunately many of the offers don't show the face value of the coins you're getting - just the sale price. One does show 100 50c coins for $65, and one has e23.50 for $25.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=euro+coins and http://www.ebay.com/bhp/euro-coins

Edited by catl331

I have never had a problem using a North American credit card at an NS kiosk. (The restriction to Dutch cards is for debit cards). And even if you don't want to use cards, I'm sure the queue at a ticket booth will be less bother than the effort of trying to accumulate Euro coins.