Tipping / childcare

gigi65

This is true. If you give a cash tip, it must be turned over to their manager and it is used for a department party. The thinking is that many people cared for your child and it isn't fair to reward one or two who happened to be on duty when you delivered a tip.

OK, the best thing you can do for any CM who does a fantastic job is to name them on the comment card and say what they did...or drop off a note at Guest Services, or contact Guest Relations in Celebration when you get home. These comments are not taken lightly. A single "they were great" might get someone an extra hour off, but the comments stay in the CM's record where they are considered when it is time for raises or promotions. A really super comment (this person went out of their way to resolve an issue or to make my child's time really special or whatever) can result in perks like a dinner at Palo (yes, one CM told me that he got this in response to a guest comment).

They can accept "gifts" like a bag of candy that can be shared with the team. Gift cards are used as door prizes at the department party unless they have a person's name on them. The basic, bottom line is that the YACs are not considered a tipped position--they are paid a salary consistent with not being tipped. Nothing other than a "thanks" is expected from the guests. The people who work in tipped positions get almost no salary from DCL and really earn their living with their tips.

If this has changed in the last 2 years, I'm sure we'll be hearing from the YAC who is talking on the boards.

So here's my question. I reported a worker on the Fantasy who smacked my daughter in the head with a door and didn't seem the least bit worried or apologetic. I sat down with the guest relations boss (I'm sure she has a more official title) and she was apologetic and delivered a Tiana doll to my room for my daughter. What do you think was ever done with this worker? I gave her name and where she was from. I was livid with how she was so nonchalant with my daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So here's my question. I reported a worker on the Fantasy who smacked my daughter in the head with a door and didn't seem the least bit worried or apologetic. I sat down with the guest relations boss (I'm sure she has a more official title) and she was apologetic and delivered a Tiana doll to my room for my daughter. What do you think was ever done with this worker? I gave her name and where she was from. I was livid with how she was so nonchalant with my daughter.

Hard to say what happened. It does bother me that you never spoke with the manager of the kid programming (the boss of the YACs). I'm really surprised that GS didn't have that person call you or set up a time to talk to you. My guess--negative comments do get attention. I suspect that the individual would have been "spoken to" and this would go in her file. She wouldn't be fired based on one complaint, if that's what you are wondering, and the worker could insist it was an accident. I'm guessing that you don't believe that based on her attitude. Bottom line, if the person gets a series of complaints or gets on the wrong side of someone high up the chain of command, his/her contract won't be renewed. For a MAJOR bad action, they'll be put off at the next port, but that's for something like drugs, proven theft, etc. For multiple complaints, they'll likely get a warning and then a non-renew at contract time with a notice that they are never eligible for re-hire. For a single complaint or two, they'll get talked to and notes kept in the file....if there are no more complaints, it will essentially disappear.

I once made a complaint to the YAC manager about the language used by a particular individual. I did speak directly to the manager who pointed out that English was not this person's first language and that perhaps she wasn't as familiar as she should be with what was acceptable. I agreed, but said that I was fluent in that individual's first language and I learned what were and were not "cuss words" and that if she was going to be working with children she needed to understand that what was OK at a crew party was not OK with 8 year olds. I don't know what, if anything, happened after our talk. I do know that I never saw this YAC on another cruise, but that could be for a million reasons.

On the positive side, daughter had lots of good and a few truly special experiences with the YACs at all age levels.

Hard to say what happened. It does bother me that you never spoke with the manager of the kid programming (the boss of the YACs). I'm really surprised that GS didn't have that person call you or set up a time to talk to you. My guess--negative comments do get attention. I suspect that the individual would have been "spoken to" and this would go in her file. She wouldn't be fired based on one complaint' date=' if that's what you are wondering, and the worker could insist it was an accident. I'm guessing that you don't believe that based on her attitude. Bottom line, if the person gets a series of complaints or gets on the wrong side of someone high up the chain of command, his/her contract won't be renewed. For a MAJOR bad action, they'll be put off at the next port, but that's for something like drugs, proven theft, etc. For multiple complaints, they'll likely get a warning and then a non-renew at contract time with a notice that they are never eligible for re-hire. For a single complaint or two, they'll get talked to and notes kept in the file....if there are no more complaints, it will essentially disappear.

I once made a complaint to the YAC manager about the language used by a particular individual. I did speak directly to the manager who pointed out that English was not this person's first language and that perhaps she wasn't as familiar as she should be with what was acceptable. I agreed, but said that I was fluent in that individual's first language and I learned what were and were not "cuss words" and that if she was going to be working with children she needed to understand that what was OK at a crew party was not OK with 8 year olds. I don't know what, if anything, happened after our talk. I do know that I never saw this YAC on another cruise, but that could be for a million reasons.

On the positive side, daughter had lots of good and a few truly special experiences with the YACs at all age levels.[/quote']

This particular CM was not in the YAC. She was a general cleaning crew. It happened in the public bathroom on the 3rd floor at dinner time. I didn't know who else to complain to but guest services.

This particular CM was not in the YAC. She was a general cleaning crew. It happened in the public bathroom on the 3rd floor at dinner time. I didn't know who else to complain to but guest services.

That totally makes sense then--sorry that I mis-interpreted since OP asked about YAC tipping. You were totally right to talk to GS....they will report it to whichever housekeeping supervisor is responsible for this person.

Tipping is not expected or encouraged within youth activities, however if a guest insists, like previously said, it is put in a group pot, managers always joke to say thanks to the nursery team for funding team get togethers as they often get tips haha!

If Im honest, from my experience, the best way to show appreciation is to simply say it to our faces! Some days, you can be standing there guarding the bathroom, questioning your life choices, and a simple thanks can really change your mood for the day/cruise. I always remember the guest that say thanks or take 5 minutes out their vacation for a quick (probably boring to them) chat. Or mention it to a manager if you see one! Yes the comment cards are good, but they dont go as far in ya as other departments, we have a weekly team meeting and your name gets a single clap, they go through the list so fast you realise 3 names down that you were mentioned haha! Ive never known any CMs to get rewards down to comments, Ive won Palo for counsellor of the month (which is voted for by counsellors), and port adventures through a team raffle, or team scores or a burger on deck for a good run of cruises.

If a counsellor went really out their way for a specific issue you can drop off a note to guest services or send an email when you get home, these get back to the CM and through the captain/cruise director/ managers and they keep them, and thats more likely going to make it onto their file...

If you actually want to give something physical, small pocket/ bitesize pieces of candy always go down well and we can always do with a sugar boost! It gets put in the back with a note saying who it came from so we can say thanks if/when we see you later.

Or if you want to give something free, CMs will never say no to pizza or mickey bars/ice cream.

It would have gone back to that CMs manager. They would probably have to sit down and make a statement, based on what that CM said it would have gone onto other managers/officers who would have discussed the outcome. There is a 'plan' of discipline so they probably would have got some. No one other than that CM and the officers involved would ever actually know the outcome, but based on any pre-existing discipline then anything could have happened. It would be on their file and effect their performance reviews for that contract.

If it happened within ya spaces (and probably most other places around the ship) they would also watch the camera recordings to decide on an outcome, but I guess there weren't any as it was a bathroom...

YA don't get the rewards of other departments? That's really sad. A CM from another department told me about her Palo trip and showed me a paycheck that had a significant bonus--I don't remember the exact terminology, but it had something to do with a guest compliment of special merit. And the amount of the bonus was equal to 14 hours of her regular salary! Please note; this individual is a friend. We did not meet on the ship nor did any of our interactions occur on any DCL ship.

YA don't get the rewards of other departments? That's really sad. A CM from another department told me about her Palo trip and showed me a paycheck that had a significant bonus--I don't remember the exact terminology' date=' but it had something to do with a guest compliment of special merit. And the amount of the bonus was equal to 14 hours of her regular salary! Please note; this individual is a friend. We did not meet on the ship nor did any of our interactions occur on any DCL ship.[/quote']

Not really. We're such a big department that it doesn't really work.

We can put in requests to eat at Palo and standard guest restaurants, theres no guarantee they'll get approved or theres space and we rarely actually get the time off to go, but that is a privilege we get that a lot of other departments don't, along with sitting up on deck, buying coffee, watching a show or movie and going to the stores.

Definitely no bonus of monetary value for work. No time off that I hear we're meant to get either... well, we were once rewarded with a 7 hour work day instead of a 9 hour, but it was a quiet (Alaska) cruise so they could do that!

Yes you can win Palo, but for some counsellors they may never get it, as its voted for by other ya so it is kinda popularity vote, and it normally happens once every 2 or 3 contracts.

We 'win' things like a mickey bar or a donut, winning haha!

To be fair, while the rewards are nice (although Palo always makes me sick because I get so used to very bland mess food), we didn't go into for tips and things. I went into it expecting to work 11 hours a day for months on end, and the amount of the world I've got to see and visit is reward enough for me...

Tipping is not expected or encouraged within youth activities, however if a guest insists, like previously said, it is put in a group pot, managers always joke to say thanks to the nursery team for funding team get togethers as they often get tips haha!

If Im honest, from my experience, the best way to show appreciation is to simply say it to our faces! Some days, you can be standing there guarding the bathroom, questioning your life choices, and a simple thanks can really change your mood for the day/cruise. I always remember the guest that say thanks or take 5 minutes out their vacation for a quick (probably boring to them) chat. Or mention it to a manager if you see one! Yes the comment cards are good, but they dont go as far in ya as other departments, we have a weekly team meeting and your name gets a single clap, they go through the list so fast you realise 3 names down that you were mentioned haha! Ive never known any CMs to get rewards down to comments, Ive won Palo for counsellor of the month (which is voted for by counsellors), and port adventures through a team raffle, or team scores or a burger on deck for a good run of cruises.

If a counsellor went really out their way for a specific issue you can drop off a note to guest services or send an email when you get home, these get back to the CM and through the captain/cruise director/ managers and they keep them, and thats more likely going to make it onto their file...

If you actually want to give something physical, small pocket/ bitesize pieces of candy always go down well and we can always do with a sugar boost! It gets put in the back with a note saying who it came from so we can say thanks if/when we see you later.

Or if you want to give something free, CMs will never say no to pizza or mickey bars/ice cream.

So just to be clear, it's acceptable to the management team and appreciated by the YA staff if I brought them a pizza from deck 13? That's interesting. I've never thought about doing that but definitely will if I'm understanding you right. You guys rock!

So just to be clear, it's acceptable to the management team and appreciated by the YA staff if I brought them a pizza from deck 13? That's interesting. I've never thought about doing that but definitely will if I'm understanding you right. You guys rock!

Deck 11 rather. Sorry.

If this is OK, their rules are totally different from other departments. Others can be disciplined for actions like getting chicken fingers from a guest area if they had to work thru a meal!

If this is OK' date=' their rules are totally different from other departments. Others can be disciplined for actions like getting chicken fingers from a guest area if they had to work thru a meal![/quote']

I wonder if the difference is that a cruiser brings it and the CM doesn't get it themselves.

I wonder if the difference is that a cruiser brings it and the CM doesn't get it themselves.

I don't know. My daughter once threw a birthday party for our server. We found out that his birthday was during the cruise...she (about age 9) talked to the head server and informed him that she wanted a party for the server with cake and everyone singing. And since they can't say no to a guest, it happened! Unfortunately, the server told us after the fact that he thought he was in big trouble. The head server called him over and told him to sit down...and he was really worried. But he got his cake and singing and we'd managed to get a small gift for him. Over the years, we've pulled off a few things that just aren't supposed to happen.....

I'm glad to see this ahead of our cruise, because we're used to NCL, where tipping the kids club staff is expected. But they also have 5-6 person teams for each age group. I can see where a much larger ages 3-11 staff wouldn't be practical.

Oh yes!

A (YA) CM cannot go and get any food themselves from guest areas (unless they're off duty and have permission from their manager and hotel manager for each time).

If a guest brought food for the YA CM it would be taken backstage and 'looked after' there. Just like when they're given candy, they cant eat it in front of guests.

If it does happen guests need to explain its for the CM and instead of a 'tip', otherwise (we're almost permanently tired) they might think that you want us to get rid of your food and plates, which also does happen regularly...

If this is OK' date=' their rules are totally different from other departments. Others can be disciplined for actions like getting chicken fingers from a guest area if they had to work thru a meal![/quote']

Its ok if a guest brings it, which is why its a nice surprise because YA don't have the privileges to go and help themselves to food. Im pretty sure its only officers (whites with stripes) and the cast that can do that...

Its common to get discipline for getting 'guest food' without the appropriate permission within the right timeframe...if you get caught....

On a 2-week Panama Canal sailing on the Wonder, we "tipped" the YA staff with a 2 gallon sized ziplock bag of assorted candies/chocolates and thank you notes. More than enough to generously share with the entire staff.