Koningsdam---Culinary Arts Center Dinner experience???

GeneBK

We have sailed on several HAL ships, but on an upcoming cruise on the Koningsdam, we will have our first opportunity to try the Culinary Arts Center.

I'm a little unclear of how it functions. I understand there are TV monitors showing the food being prepared? With commentary? Is there a specific time that the dinner presentation is shown? Or, are various guests at different stages of their meal while the video is shown. Is it a relaxing dinner, or is it like being in a classroom?

These questions may indicate I'm way off in my vague impression of what goes on. That's why I'm asking!

Thanks for any feedback of your experience there.

We did this in March and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. You watch the different courses being prepared and then served. I wouldn't compare it like being in a classroom. Unlimited organic wines were quite good. The fact the wine is unlimited is a plus. The only thing to be prepared for is that is lasts longer than a normal dinner at the Pinnacle. Will be on the Koningsdam in August and will do this again.

I thought it was a very relaxing, enjoyable experience. The food was excellent and I even enjoyed a few dishes I was sure I would not like! There are TV monitors in various locations so you can watch the chef prepare the meal. You are also encouraged to come up to the prep station and talk directly to the chef if you have a question.

Our meal began at 7 pm and we finished around 9:30 pm. Everyone started and ended at the same time.

We have done the dinner in the Culinary Arts Center on both of our Transatlantic cruises on the Koningsdam and loved it.

It is a very enjoyable evening and we would recommend it.

Dinner is at a set time, once per evening. As you arrive you are given their signature cocktail and shown to your table. It is a set menu with three choices for the main course. The kitchen is open and you watch as the chef and assistants cook your meal. You are encouraged to go up and see what's going on and talk to the chef, ask questions etc. You will see how they cook certain things, plate the meal etc. Included is your choice of red or white organic wine, and it's pretty much unlimited. Service is great. Over all it is a fun, entertaining and delicious experience.

Each time we ate there it was only partially full - I don't know if people aren't aware of it or don't understand how it works. To us it was money well spent for a nice meal and a different experience.