Adventure of the Seas Review- June 17, 2017

We took a cruise on Adventure of the Seas on June 17. We flew in to Puerto Rico and stayed 2 nights pre-cruise at San Juan Water and Beach Club. The hotel was a small boutique hotel on the beach. I would stay again; however, I would avoid the Mist rooftop restaurant. The views were nice but the prices were very high for food/drinks. You are paying for the experience, not the quality of food. Save your money and go somewhere nicer and get an authentic PR food experience. The beach was nice and we enjoying our time there.

We arrived at the port right before noon. We had a JS room 1630 so we were able to skip the long line outside and walk right into the terminal. We were on the ship within 5 minutes of entering the terminal.

Bombarded: When we first boarded, we were bombarded by people trying to sell us things. We were approached by at least 3 people at the windjammer asking us to purchase the dining package. We were also approached again while sitting at the pub later in the day. I really wish they would stop this technique. There was already a brochure on the table so if we wanted to purchase the dining package, we would have done so without the constant push to sell them. It was the same thing for the drink package although we could stop the sales pitch because we purchased it in advance.

Food: The food in the MDR was not really good but it wasn't really bad. It was just ok. We ended up eating in the Windjammer a few nights and surprisingly, the food there was much better. It was actually hot food as opposed to the semi-warm food we had been served in the MDR on the previous nights. Breakfast in the windjammer was the same exact food every morning, but it was good. I would give the overall food experience a B-

Activities & Shows: The ice show was really good. We enjoyed watching it. We also LOVED the journey cover band that performed. We liked them so much, we saw both of their shows. We didn't see the comedians so I can't comment on them. We did go to the James Stephens show and he was pretty funny. We played trivia a lot but they really need to update the trivia questions. For example, some of the logos were not even in existence anymore. We played trivia years ago and it was the same exact logos from that trivia. We went to Karaoke- one thing I'd like to say about this is maybe they should consider a Spanish version of Karaoke as well as an English version. There were many songs chosen in Karaoke that were in Spanish. I wish I had learned to speak Spanish but I didn't understand a word of the song. I wondered how many Spanish speaking passengers felt the same way when the English songs were chosen. I don't think we did any other activities that I can think of.

Excursions: In Bonaire- we did the Twizzy tours with Hans. We had such a fun day exploring the island and Hans is a wonderful host. He dropped us at spice beach club at the end and we were able to stay longer and take a cab back to the ship. In Curacao, we hired a private driver for the day. Her name was Lucy and she took us to Cas Abao beach. The facilities here were basic. The food was just ok and the drinks were limited with what you could order. The showers also cost money to use. However, the beach was gorgeous. Chairs were $3 each. If you visit Cas Abao, bring water shoes because the water had lots of rocks/shells. Lucy had a flat tire and didn't make it back on time to pick us up. We finally found another driver about 30 minutes later and we were almost getting in his cab when Lucy came running up to explain. She had found someone to bring her back to get us, even though she had car problems. I highly recommend her. She didn't have to do this for us!

In Aruba, we booked the ABC jeep excursion for Cave and Beach time. This was a fun excursion and there were only 4 people in our jeep. The only thing I will say is that it was so unorganized up front. They took us from the terminal to the office where there were at least 100 people standing around waiting. I was worried about how unorganized it seemed to be. However, when we finally got on the jeep and got started, the tour was wonderful. Our guide dropped us off at Palm Beach afterwards and we enjoyed some time at Bugaloe beach bar. We also did some parasailing here.

Our last port day was St. Maarten. We hopped in a cab to Orient Beach and spent the day at La Playa beach club. It was fun and the beach was gorgeous. There were a few nude women walking around so if you have kids, be aware of that before you go.

Getting off the ship was slow. We got down to the terminal around 9:30 and it took us about an hour to get through security. If you have an early flight, leave early.

Overall, the cruise was fun! We had a great trip. I'm already looking forward to my next one.

I've noticed that the first 24hrs on the ship is when this takes place. It seems to back off after that. I think many of us 'regular' cruisers to Royal see this occurrence at each of our cruises, but those who are first timers or long timers see this differently. Many of them most likely do not even know about these specials until they are approached. For us, the upselling has now become a part of the cruise that we just don't participate in.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

We took a cruise on Adventure of the Seas on June 17. We flew in to Puerto Rico and stayed 2 nights pre-cruise at San Juan Water and Beach Club. The hotel was a small boutique hotel on the beach. I would stay again; however, I would avoid the Mist rooftop restaurant. The views were nice but the prices were very high for food/drinks. You are paying for the experience, not the quality of food. Save your money and go somewhere nicer and get an authentic PR food experience. The beach was nice and we enjoying our time there.

We arrived at the port right before noon. We had a JS room 1630 so we were able to skip the long line outside and walk right into the terminal. We were on the ship within 5 minutes of entering the terminal.

Bombarded: When we first boarded, we were bombarded by people trying to sell us things. We were approached by at least 3 people at the windjammer asking us to purchase the dining package. We were also approached again while sitting at the pub later in the day. I really wish they would stop this technique. There was already a brochure on the table so if we wanted to purchase the dining package, we would have done so without the constant push to sell them. It was the same thing for the drink package although we could stop the sales pitch because we purchased it in advance.

Food: The food in the MDR was not really good but it wasn't really bad. It was just ok. We ended up eating in the Windjammer a few nights and surprisingly, the food there was much better. It was actually hot food as opposed to the semi-warm food we had been served in the MDR on the previous nights. Breakfast in the windjammer was the same exact food every morning, but it was good. I would give the overall food experience a B-

Activities & Shows: The ice show was really good. We enjoyed watching it. We also LOVED the journey cover band that performed. We liked them so much, we saw both of their shows. We didn't see the comedians so I can't comment on them. We did go to the James Stephens show and he was pretty funny. We played trivia a lot but they really need to update the trivia questions. For example, some of the logos were not even in existence anymore. We played trivia years ago and it was the same exact logos from that trivia. We went to Karaoke- one thing I'd like to say about this is maybe they should consider a Spanish version of Karaoke as well as an English version. There were many songs chosen in Karaoke that were in Spanish. I wish I had learned to speak Spanish but I didn't understand a word of the song. I wondered how many Spanish speaking passengers felt the same way when the English songs were chosen. I don't think we did any other activities that I can think of.

Excursions: In Bonaire- we did the Twizzy tours with Hans. We had such a fun day exploring the island and Hans is a wonderful host. He dropped us at spice beach club at the end and we were able to stay longer and take a cab back to the ship. In Curacao, we hired a private driver for the day. Her name was Lucy and she took us to Cas Abao beach. The facilities here were basic. The food was just ok and the drinks were limited with what you could order. The showers also cost money to use. However, the beach was gorgeous. Chairs were $3 each. If you visit Cas Abao, bring water shoes because the water had lots of rocks/shells. Lucy had a flat tire and didn't make it back on time to pick us up. We finally found another driver about 30 minutes later and we were almost getting in his cab when Lucy came running up to explain. She had found someone to bring her back to get us, even though she had car problems. I highly recommend her. She didn't have to do this for us!

In Aruba, we booked the ABC jeep excursion for Cave and Beach time. This was a fun excursion and there were only 4 people in our jeep. The only thing I will say is that it was so unorganized up front. They took us from the terminal to the office where there were at least 100 people standing around waiting. I was worried about how unorganized it seemed to be. However, when we finally got on the jeep and got started, the tour was wonderful. Our guide dropped us off at Palm Beach afterwards and we enjoyed some time at Bugaloe beach bar. We also did some parasailing here.

Our last port day was St. Maarten. We hopped in a cab to Orient Beach and spent the day at La Playa beach club. It was fun and the beach was gorgeous. There were a few nude women walking around so if you have kids, be aware of that before you go.

Getting off the ship was slow. We got down to the terminal around 9:30 and it took us about an hour to get through security. If you have an early flight, leave early.

Overall, the cruise was fun! We had a great trip. I'm already looking forward to my next one.

Great to know what we are in for soon on Adventure. I'm sure that if you ate in the dining room more, you would have seen some meals that were really good. Not just ok

Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about the bombardment of selling, same thing happened to us on Oasis a couple of weeks ago.

We had nobody bother us in the WJ after boarding Adventure, maybe we look too poor or white collar for specialty dining. (Certainly not doubting the OP) Like the OP, the food in teh MDR was as bland and plain as any cruise I have been on. We should have went to the WJ a couple of times.

Thanks for this review!

This is our exact itinerary coming up soon. Do you remember what days were formal night? Also do you happen to have the cruise compasses by any chance?

We were on the two sailings prior, 6/3 and 6/10, and the formal nights were 2 and 6 for both. I would think that stays the same, but you never know.

I posted the cruise compasses from both weeks of our cruise on my review, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2506497

Our itineraries were different, but it will give you an idea of some of the activities that were available.

Thanks for the report! Why do you think the food in the MDR was bad? Just not high quality, not served hot, bad selections?

It wasn't served hot. Just warm. Service was also really slow. We sat around one night for about 20 minutes before our order was taken. I don't think the food was that high quality but normally, we enjoy the MDR. Maybe we just went on a few bad nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the report....doing Adventure in September, can't wait!

Any times you found that were better or worse crowd-wise for the Windjammer?

Not really but we never had trouble finding a table. A few nights we took our food back and ate on the balcony.

It wasn't served hot. Just warm. Service was also really slow. We sat around one night for about 20 minutes before our order was taken. I don't think the food was that high quality but normally, we enjoy the MDR. Maybe we just went on a few bad nights.

IMO, the MDR food and selections on Royal ships have really gone downhill the past year or so. Last year on the Grandeur the beef entrees (3 of them) were terrible. They were tough and chewy. The lobster was mushy, and I am not a fussy eater .

I agree with you completely, we had 6 less than ideal nights food wise. (I'm not that hard to please)

We were on Oasis last year, and found the food in the MDR OK to mediocre. Hated lunches at Windjammer. It led us to have dinner at the Specialty Dining restaurants more often than not. This year, my mother (who is in her 70s) insisted on AoS, which she sailed on several times with my father when it was new. I have made a couple of reservations at Specialty Dining, but she insists we won't need more because the food on AoS is fantastic. I take it Oasis last year was not a fluke, and I should buy the five night package, perhaps?

We were on Oasis last year, and found the food in the MDR OK to mediocre. Hated lunches at Windjammer. It led us to have dinner at the Specialty Dining restaurants more often than not. This year, my mother (who is in her 70s) insisted on AoS, which she sailed on several times with my father when it was new. I have made a couple of reservations at Specialty Dining, but she insists we won't need more because the food on AoS is fantastic. I take it Oasis last year was not a fluke, and I should buy the five night package, perhaps?

We are in the MDR 10 of our 14 nights on our B2B in June, and every single night was fantastic. We had no issues with the food. It was served hot every night, and in a timely fashion. Everything we ordered was delicious. Of course everybody's experience is different, even within the same sailing, but we thoroughly enjoyed the MDR.

We are in the MDR 10 of our 14 nights on our B2B in June, and every single night was fantastic. We had no issues with the food. It was served hot every night, and in a timely fashion. Everything we ordered was delicious. Of course everybody's experience is different, even within the same sailing, but we thoroughly enjoyed the MDR.

We were on Adventure in May and thoroughly enjoyed the food and service in both the MDR and Windjammer.