NCL Sun to be decommissioned

buddy1755

I was just told that NCL Sun will be decomisioned and the Jewel will take over in May 2018.....

Oh dear.

I doubt it. I just booked a cruise on THE SUN for late September 2018. The Sun is getting a new Captain in a few weeks and he expects to be there at least 4 years until his retirement.

I sure hope you are right, www3traveler!

We had a specific suite reserved on the Sun for a South America cruise in 2019.

And it's still showing on the schedule.

However, the Jewel seems to be "open" for a long time, such that it could cover the Sun itineraries.

But the Jewel doesn't have that same suite.

We also wanted to take the Sun to Alaska (again! :) ) - and in that same suite...

I hope this isn't true, but we are not going to hold our breath...

:(

Just checked the Roll Calls for The Sun---- there a cruises listed clear out to March of 2019.

Yes... we are booked on two of them (B2B) in 2019, and have had those reservations for quite some time.

But it's disconcerting that the Jewel seems wide open after Spring, 2018...

Keeping fingers crossed...

We booked the Sun for Aug 2018 and last week we got an updated confirmation which showed a room change. It took us a while before we figured out why... the ship changed to the Jewel. I looked online and booking today still shows Sun but when I called to change our rooms I was told the reservation system shows it is Jewel now.

Alas. The Sun is my favorite. I cruised in 9076 the corner aft PH with large balcony twice. A total of 25 nights of heaven. Il Adagio. Ah. Memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are, too (and on two of them, B2B).

But IF the Jewel is taking over, note that the Jewel schedule is open for most of 2018 and all of 2019 now.

The woman at NCL said that the Jewel would tkae the Suns place May to Sept 2018

Oh dear.

I sure hope you are right, www3traveler!

We had a specific suite reserved on the Sun for a South America cruise in 2019.

And it's still showing on the schedule.

However, the Jewel seems to be "open" for a long time, such that it could cover the Sun itineraries.

But the Jewel doesn't have that same suite.

We also wanted to take the Sun to Alaska (again! :) ) - and in that same suite...

I hope this isn't true, but we are not going to hold our breath...

Same situation here. Feb 2019 cruise booked.

The woman at NCL said that the Jewel would tkae the Suns place May to Sept 2018

Call center people for NCL tend not to be very correct.

Until an official announcement comes from Andy Stuart I would be not believe it. Andy is in China at the moment for the party on The Joy in another couple of hours.

From what Senior Officers on The Jewel said in late April, they expect to go to Hong Kong late March, early April 2018 for The Edge updates and then become a second ship in the China, Japan market because there are some ports that The Joy can not cover because She is too big and then winter in Australia, New Zealand market

Call center people for NCL tend not to be very correct.

Until an official announcement comes from Andy Stuart I would be not believe it. Andy is in China at the moment for the party on The Joy in another couple of hours.

From what Senior Officers on The Jewel said in late April, they expect to go to Hong Kong late March, early April 2018 for The Edge updates and then become a second ship in the China, Japan market because there are some ports that The Joy can not cover because She is too big and then winter in Australia, New Zealand market

I sure hope the Jewel is going to Aus/NZ fall of 2018. I waited but finally booked Princess with the itinerary I wanted. I would cancel Princess in a minute if the Jewel is going there. Are you listening out there? Make it happen!

Edited by hoopslover
typed incorrectly

If I log into myNCL account and try to look for my reservation. ("Sun" June 25th 2018), it is now changed to "Default itinerary Name"

If i try to go into Vacation Summary it comes back with server error message. And if I click in look for reservations, it now lists the Jewel as the ship.

I wonder how and when the cabins will be assigned.

We are, too (and on two of them, B2B).

But IF the Jewel is taking over, note that the Jewel schedule is open for most of 2018 and all of 2019 now.

The Jewel is in Japan on 4/28/18. When will the scheduled cruise from there to Alaska be posted?

That makes me sad if true. The Sun was my very first cruise so very many years ago. Trip to Alaska with a dear friend and had a balcony so I could "drink coffee and eat croissants" on my balcony as I watched glaciers go by. And that's exactly what I did. And watched mama seals and their babies basking in the sunshine while lying on baby blue, glacier ice. I so remember my TA telling me that if I started my cruising career with a balcony, I'd be spoiled for anything less.....and boy oh boy, was he right!! I love love love my balconies, and even tho they have become so much more expensive, there is nothing like going to sleep listening to ocean waves and the wondrous fragrance of ocean air......and it all started what seems like a lifetime ago, on the SUN.

She's a great ship, and now an elderly dignified lady, that left me with wondrous memories.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If I log into myNCL account and try to look for my reservation. ("Sun" June 25th 2018), it is now changed to "Default itinerary Name"

If i try to go into Vacation Summary it comes back with server error message. And if I click in look for reservations, it now lists the Jewel as the ship.

I wonder how and when the cabins will be assigned.

In my case I had a mid-ship balcony on deck 9 (port side)on the SUN, my new mid ship balcony was deck 10(starboard), but i upgraded to a aft mini suite, they knocked 800 off and i got a 150 OBC...I think they give you a similar cabin...