Gratuities on 'free' dining and spa treatment

Just booked a trip on Anthem through a large warehouse which includes a free specialty dinner for two and a spa treatment for one. We will likely opt for dinner in Chops and I will take advantage of a Sweedish massage. My question is, at the time of service, will we be presented a bill covering gratuities or will that be left to our discretion?

Thanks, Bob for your reply. Am I to understand that the waiter will automatically receive a tip and anything I tip will be over-and-above any compensation he will receive? Or will my tip be the only gratuity he receives for his service? In other words, should I be looking to give him 18%?

Edited by Ship2Shore
Additional question

Thanks, Bob for your reply. Am I to understand that the waiter will automatically receive a tip and anything I tip will be over-and-above any compensation he will receive? Or will my tip be the only gratuity he receives for his service?

Sorry, I'm not sure how the gratuities would work in a "free" specialty restaurant situation. If it was me, I'd probably give the waiter some cash, just to make sure it all went to them.

Just booked a trip on Anthem through a large warehouse which includes a free specialty dinner for two and a spa treatment for one. We will likely opt for dinner in Chops and I will take advantage of a Sweedish massage. My question is, at the time of service, will we be presented a bill covering gratuities or will that be left to our discretion?

For the free Swedish massage I was presented with the 18% "difference" -- around 20$, which I paid, and then gave the masseuse a cash tip.

At Chops - the bill already included the 18%, so we left the waiter a cash tip too.

For the free Swedish massage I was presented with the 18% "difference" -- around 20$, which I paid, and then gave the masseuse a cash tip.

At Chops - the bill already included the 18%, so we left the waiter a cash tip too.

Not sure I understand when you say that the Chops bill "already included the 18%" - what 18%? I understand that they say the cost for Chops includes a gratuity, but how exactly do you know it is 18%? Where is that amount written? We have always left a cash gratuity at specialty restaurants but didn't figure it as a percentage of the price like in a land restaurant (which we always figure to be 20% unless service is poor).

but how exactly do you know it is 18%?

From Royal Caribbean's site -- "If you order beverage onboard your Royal Caribbean cruise, such as alcohol, you will be charged an automatic 18% gratuity when you receive the bill. The surcharge you pay to dine at a specialty restaurant aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise includes the tip. There is no need to pay a tip on top of the surcharge amount, unless you would like to."

Since the gratuity I was charged for the "free massage" was 18%, and for beverages is 18%, I assume the same goes for specialty restaurants.

From Royal Caribbean's site -- "If you order beverage onboard your Royal Caribbean cruise, such as alcohol, you will be charged an automatic 18% gratuity when you receive the bill. The surcharge you pay to dine at a specialty restaurant aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise includes the tip. There is no need to pay a tip on top of the surcharge amount, unless you would like to."

Since the gratuity I was charged for the "free massage" was 18%, and for beverages is 18%, I assume the same goes for specialty restaurants.

I see how you made that assumption. Don't know about the spa since I very rarely use it. As for drinks, if you order a $10 drink, they add 18% and you pay $11.80. However, if you eat in Chops and the price is $40, that is all you pay, they do not add an 18% gratuity. It has been bantered around these boards for years as to how much of the specialty restaurant charge constitutes the tip and no one has come up with a definitive answer. I tend to feel it's a fairly low amount though.