What to do in copehagen with flight leaving at 6pm

We will be flying from Copenhagen to Amsterdam at the end our cruise in July on the Zuiderdam. Our flight leaves at around 6pm. I looked into some excursions that would include a transfer to the airport at the end of the excursion. But they too would get us to the airport about 5-6 hours ahead of our flight. Any suggestions? We don't want to sit in an airport for 5 or 6 hours. I was thinking about storing our luggage so we could go out and about but it looks like storage at the airport is quite limited (and I am not sure how secure). Have never been to this airport/country so don't know much about the area other than what I have read. We can't be dragging our luggage around - three of us with 2 suitcases each.

Well if you can find a place to store your luggage, the airport is within walking distance of the National Aquarium of Denmark. Good to kill 1-2 hours. But honestly with 5-6 hours to kill, if you can store your luggage at the airport after a tour, you can easily go downtown on the train and have a nice long day of sightseeing..

We will be flying from Copenhagen to Amsterdam at the end our cruise in July on the Zuiderdam. Our flight leaves at around 6pm. I looked into some excursions that would include a transfer to the airport at the end of the excursion. But they too would get us to the airport about 5-6 hours ahead of our flight. Any suggestions? We don't want to sit in an airport for 5 or 6 hours. I was thinking about storing our luggage so we could go out and about but it looks like storage at the airport is quite limited (and I am not sure how secure). Have never been to this airport/country so don't know much about the area other than what I have read. We can't be dragging our luggage around - three of us with 2 suitcases each.

We stored our luggage at Copenhagen Central train station ( København H) - they have both manned luggage storage and lockers - our luggage was perfectly safe. You can then go out and about on your own and then return to the station to collect your luggage & then take the express train from København H to the airport.

Right - as Danish Viking says, there is a service that will pick-up your luggage at port. Price for 6 pieces of luggage via Airluggage.dk is 50,00 to pick-up at port and drop at airport. It is actually a good value.

You can read about storage options here:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/luggage-storage-and-transportation-services

Edited by dogs4fun

Btw at the airport there is a luggage storage outside terminal 2 at the parking garage (can't remember the number) but its the one just outside terminal 2.

Me and my brothers used it 1,5 years ago when we went to Thailand.

It was a late departure and Star Wars: The Force Awakens just had its premiere the day before, so we got to the airport and placed our luggage in the boxes and took the train 2 stops back to Ørestad where the cinema was.

Btw at the airport there is a luggage storage outside terminal 2 at the parking garage (can't remember the number) but its the one just outside terminal 2.

Me and my brothers used it 1,5 years ago when we went to Thailand.

It was a late departure and Star Wars: The Force Awakens just had its premiere the day before, so we got to the airport and placed our luggage in the boxes and took the train 2 stops back to Ørestad where the cinema was.

Thanks for the info - that sounds like a good plan of action.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd spend the day at Tivoli. It isn't just an amusement park; it's a beautifully manicured garden, dining venue and more. Eat at Kaher i Tivoli and don't miss the Hans Christian Andersen ride. It isn't really a ride so much as a leisurely exhibit of wooden, moving renditions of all of his incredible fairy tales. The classier cousin of "It's a Small World" with no music, just a soothing narrator as you sit in a comfortable couch inside a treasure chest and get toured through each little vista.

Alternatively, especially if there's inclement weather, the Black Diamond Library is a wonderful place to spend a day. We went to see a historic collection of books that were saved from **** burnings by some passionate librarians during WWII, but the whole building, and everything within, is truly an architectural marvel and incredible venue. Plus, there are a cafe and lovely restaurant within, and an incredible view of the canal. The wifi is solid, the restrooms are clean, and you won't feel crowded with your luggage if you can't check it.

As an aside, we just got off the Zuiderdam on Monday morning. Are you doing the Baltic or the Norway/Scotland itinerary? I'd be happy to share some gems either way (we did the Baltic last year and the Norway/Scotland itinerary in May this year.

Oh, and if you're flying out of Amsterdam to go home, do find a Dutch pancake stand in the airport and have some pofferjets, mini pancakes dusted with butter and sugar and topped with fresh berries.

Edited by BakedAlaska7751
one more thing

Baked Alaska -I am doing the Zuiderdam Fjords and Highlands in June -I would love to hear any advice, comments you have to give. We are doing a night in Copenhagen pre and post cruise

Thanks!!

Let's see...

1. Fjord Safari and Cheese Tasting: Don't let the rib boat and thermal suits steer you away from this one. A locally born and raised guide took us on an incredible boat trip through the fjords, getting us deep into the UNESCO-designated fjord, sharing stories of the local culture and lore, history and his own childhood along the way. He also slowed down to give us time to watch wildlife and snap shots of waterfalls and little villages. Unlike the regular fjord safari, our private excursion included a stop at Undredal (not sure of spelling) which is an adorable little village nestled in the fjord. We then sampled several different kinds of cheeses, served with some meat, several preserved fruits (try the cloudberry), Lefse (Norwegian flatbread), and hot red currant tea. Best part is that we had a three hour excursion and returned to the dock to be able to have a leisurely afternoon to either rest, hike or take the Flam Railway. Beautiful trip. If you want to reserve it privately, they ask that you have a minimum of ten guests sign up and they will take up to 12. They handle all the payments so you don't need to go collecting from other passengers. http://www.fjordsafari.com

2. Shetland Islands: The most amazing tour guide. We hired Robina Barton, who is a university-trained archaeologist who has worked on projects in the shetlands, including as the coordinator of the Shetland Geopark (a UNESCO site). She's also involved in the historical society. She was truly fantastic. Kept us away from the large bus tours, gave us a brilliant variety of nicely-paced sites to see, and showed us everything from an incredible archaeological site, castle, maritime museum, and nature--breaking for non-crowded, clean restrooms and a lovely lunch at a local tea and sandwich shop. She also made sure we saw plenty of wildlife: puffins, other sea birds, lots of seals, and even some domestics like shetland ponies and sheep. At the end, even after our tour was scheduled to end, she helped me find a local bookstore (sort of a travel passion of mine) and walked us back to the tender. Total A-plus. So much so, that I plan to return to the shetlands. She can fit up to eight passengers but is comfortable taking two or four. http://www.selkieventures.co.uk

3. Inverness: We went with Wendy from Iona Highland Tours. She's the owner, and she also had trainee Eddy with her. We saw everything you'd want to see and then some. The tour busses were all pulling off at other lookout points to see the castle on Loch Ness, but she found us just the right smaller one. We saw the cathedral, Cowdor Castle, an ancient burial with mysteriously placed stones (that doubled as a sundial--very neat), a fort with tremendous history and the battlefield that changed Scottish history forever. Her van has wifi and she had chargers for us too (but the wifi ran out of data early on--don't think it is a regular occurrence though). Wendy was fantastic but if you go with her, you should know that she's expanded her business and the other two guides working with her are very new (and at least one has a very strong Glasgow accent) so be sure to request her specifically. Eddy seems very nice and warm, but she's putting him into the field too soon after not enough training (in my opinion). I don't know who the other one is. http://www.ionahighlandtours.com/abo...ighland-tours/

4. Newcastle: Since this was our last day, we really wanted to do something special and relaxed because we knew we'd be "over" all the touring by then. If you enjoy finer restaurants and want to truly taste the UK's countryside and waters, the Three Michelin Star rated House of Tides is the perfect venue for a lovely lunch, right on the river. We had local oysters, Shetland mussels, beautiful English produce and lamb... They have a regular and a vegetarian price-fixed tasting menu with optional wine pairings that usually books up for dinner at least a month in advance (but you may be luckier with lunch). They also accommodate allergies and food preferences. If you'll be there on a Saturday, there will be a bazaar in the metro station with some neat finds. You simply take the metro into Newcastle like everyone else and then walk down the hill half a mile to House of Tides. On the way, you'll pass all sorts of historical buildings including one that proudly proclaims the historical Earl Grey (and his namesake tea). Our recommendation is to see sights before lunch, walk down the hill to the restaurant, and then take a taxi back to the ship from the restaurant because it's quicker than she shuttle and less of a hassle than walking back up the hill. http://houseoftides.co.uk

4. In Flam, the Edvard Munch (famous for The Scream) museum is brilliantly curated and not to be missed, rain or shine. We did that one independently via the subway/tube.

5. In Bergen, we did the ship's excursion to Edvard Grieg's home and the Grieg Museum with private piano recital. This was also very worth it to us but if you can arrange it privately, you can probably get the price down. Just contact the museum and ask.

Another fun thing we did (but it's not for everyone): We decided to take the train from Inverness to Edinburgh and stay overnight at an Air BNB with a castle view so we could see it lit up at night and get an early start the next day. You have to fill out some paperwork with the ship but it was truly worth it to get a feel for the evenings there and to see the castle in the evening. The Hop On/Hop Off there is superb (unlike Oslo's which was a disaster). The ghost tours are wonderful because you can see the history of the Black Plague and all the walled-off underground chambers. The national museum was free and it was excellent--be sure to wait near the incredible clock inside at the hour so you can see all the bizarre sculptures move and light up.

Copenhagen! I shouldn't forget this. If you're not too jet-lagged, head to Tivoli if the weather is nice and the Black Diamond Library if it's rainy. Both are well worth the visit.

Okay here's the bad:

Portree: Avoid GoSkye tours at all costs. They overfill their vans, the guide was incredibly sour and cold, and there was minimal information about the island's culture, sites or anything else. We did have a lovely time walking around Portree, though, and soaking up the local culture at a cafe over some haggis and free wifi was the perfect redemption.

Sedestal Mineral Park: This was one of the excursions at one of the Norwegian ports. Avoid at all costs. 3 hour tour on a (very hot) bus. The ride is an hour each way, there's only a one-stall per gender restroom for all 60 of you when you get there, it's not a real cavern, and the collection is unremarkable.

Oh, if you're Le Cirque fans, know that this is the last year that the Pinnacle will be hosting "An Evening at Le Cirque" so you should really try and get in. From now on, the special different-menu night will just be of the line's other specialty place, featured on the Koningsdam.

Edited by BakedAlaska7751
clarity

I'd spend the day at Tivoli. It isn't just an amusement park; it's a beautifully manicured garden, dining venue and more. Eat at Kaher i Tivoli and don't miss the Hans Christian Andersen ride. It isn't really a ride so much as a leisurely exhibit of wooden, moving renditions of all of his incredible fairy tales. The classier cousin of "It's a Small World" with no music, just a soothing narrator as you sit in a comfortable couch inside a treasure chest and get toured through each little vista.

Alternatively, especially if there's inclement weather, the Black Diamond Library is a wonderful place to spend a day. We went to see a historic collection of books that were saved from **** burnings by some passionate librarians during WWII, but the whole building, and everything within, is truly an architectural marvel and incredible venue. Plus, there are a cafe and lovely restaurant within, and an incredible view of the canal. The wifi is solid, the restrooms are clean, and you won't feel crowded with your luggage if you can't check it.

As an aside, we just got off the Zuiderdam on Monday morning. Are you doing the Baltic or the Norway/Scotland itinerary? I'd be happy to share some gems either way (we did the Baltic last year and the Norway/Scotland itinerary in May this year.

Oh, and if you're flying out of Amsterdam to go home, do find a Dutch pancake stand in the airport and have some pofferjets, mini pancakes dusted with butter and sugar and topped with fresh berries.

Baked Alaska, we are doing the Baltic trip. Do you have any port excursion (or other) tips for us?

We actually just used Airluggage.dk in Copenhagen on Monday 6/12 to pick up our 3 checked bags at the port upon disembarkation and they delivered them directly to our hotel at the airport as we were staying overnight prior to flying out early next morning. They picked up the bags promptly at 8 am at the port and they were waiting for us when we checked in at our hotel later that day around 4:30pm. The charge was 8 Euros per bag which you can pay with credit card when they pick up or upon delivery. They can also deliver directly to airport and keep in their storage until you retrieve them. They were very reliable and a great option for anyone that wishes to get rid of luggage for the day so you can do a day tour in Copenhagen. Very stress free experience and they are easy to communicate via phone or email as we received email communication confirming bags were delivered to hotel.

We also had pre arranged a private tour of Copenhagen thru Copenhagen Fairy Tales which involved seeing all of the main sights of Copenhagen, boat trip of the city and included food stops along the way with a local guide(Simon) that met us at the port and we took various modes of public transportation which was handled by our private guide and included in our tour which really gave us the local flavor that we were looking for. At the end of our tour, he assisted us in getting us on the right train for our hotel at the airport. A great day and tour in Copenhagen all without our luggage.

FYI- Upon Disembarkation on 6/12, we noticed that many people were having difficulty getting taxis at the port as there were very long lines and few taxis in sight. Strongly recommend that you have pre arranged transportation form port to airport/hotel or have alternative plan. There is a HOHO bus at the port that some people were actually using to get into the city with their luggage.

Airluggage.dk can collect your luggage at the ship and drop it off at the airport.

Then you can tour the city without any problem.

Just wondering: Is there a same service in Stockholm? We debark after 7:00am and fly out of Stockholm airport at 6:35 pm. on July 9. I am hoping we can store our luggage somewhere and do some sightseeing.

Thanks for any input. :)

Anyone know how early one may drop off luggage at CPH? We fly in (SAS) at around 10AM but don't fly out (Norwegian) until 10PM. If lockers are available, we'll definitely use that option.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Airluggage.dk can collect your luggage at the ship and drop it off at the airport.

Then you can tour the city without any problem.

Thanks so much for this information, we too have a flight after 6pm when our cruise ends in September and will need to make use of this information also.

What time does SAS check in open at CPH? We have a cruise transfer included to the airport but our flight to MAN is not until 6pm. Would we be able to check in our luggage at midday?

Intending to take to metro to kongens nytorv and take a canal tour.

Try to ask on their Facebook page (or the airports) they usually respond very quickly.

Did as you suggested. SAS confirmed we are able to check in our luggage in the morning for our evening flight.

Thanks for your help.