Just got off 14 day Great Alaskan Explorer - Ask me anything!

Just returned home from our first cruise, the June 5-19 Great Alaskan Explorer on Amsterdam in a vista suite. We had open seating for MDR (flexibility is the way to go on this itinerary). Did 3 dinners in Pinnacle Grill including Le Cirque, all superb. 1 night in Canneletto was a nice diversion from MDR too. Amsterdam is showing her age in style and design but is well maintained and I found her to be very comfortable. The crew clearly has one goal - to make sure you have a great time on board. Our CD Jorge, stateroom stewards Deden and Putu, location guide Ryan, Mei in Pinnacle, Ferdi in MDR, Elvira in the photo studio, all excellent!

Here are some notes, ask any questions you have!

Amsterdam- loved this smaller ship. You can be anywhere in minutes and even though it was sold out it never seemed to be crowded.

Vista Suite- more like a balcony stateroom then an actual suite but to me it was worth it to have a floor to ceiling wall of windows to take in the never ending Alaska scenery and we enjoyed having a private SHELTERED (from wind and rain) outdoor space to enjoy it. On glacier viewing we did the approach on the crowded bow and then retreated to our balcony for quiet up close viewing.

Ports -

Ketchican, walked around Creek Street. Quaint, almost looks like Disney built an Alaskan town.

Tracy Arm, iced in. Diverted to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier. Excellent. We were able to get very close and saw seals on the icebergs.

Juneau. We prebooked HAL tour Taku Glacier by Air, Water, and Ice. This includes helicopter, air boat, and a hike on the glacier but all helicopters were grounded due to low clouds/visibility. Saved a lot of money but was really looking forward to this excursion.

Icy Straight Point, loved this port. ZIPLINE! Don't worry about getting scared just do it. Worth every penny. Also very nice trails along beach and in the forest. No tanzanite in the gift shop :cool:

Anchorage, we rented a car and drove up scenic Turnagain Arm to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Bears, moose, raindeer, elk, buffalo. Then on to portage bay glacier and up close viewing on the M/V Patarmigan.

Homer - walked the spit and enjoyed a very sunny day on the beach.

Kodiak, walked cannery row to the Russian Orthodox Church and the Alutiq Museum.

Hubbard Glacier. Stunning! The conditions were good and the captain got us up close to see the glacier calve new icebergs.

Sitka, took the HAL tour Sea Otter Quest and Fortress of the Bear. A quick bus ride through town and then a stop at the Fortress to watch the bears play. Then onto a boat to see otters, humpbacks lunge feeding, and lots of eagles. The waterways around Sitka are full of small forested rocky islands, very scenic. Advice - bring rain gear. It is WET in Sitka. No joke, I say this as an Oregonian, i got SOAKED, but had a great time!

Victoria, obligatory Butchart Gardens. On the way back our tour bus driver offred to drop us downtown rather than return to ship. Explored and then took a $5 tourist shuttle back to the ship.

Questions about the ship, itinerary, or anything else? Fire away!

Thanks for all the info, very informative. Do you know anything about the railroad train you can take in Anchorages? I read that you can take the train and stop in portage and take a bus back to the ship to save time. Didn't know if that would be good.

Thank you for your review , glad you had a lovely vacation! We will be doing the same trip soon ( as I am sure many others on here) and any information is so welcome! Did you find any favourite quiet spots to read or just sit and enjoy coffee?

Were there any production shows/comedians/ magicians?

Is there much in the way of shops onboard?

Thanks so much

Julia :)

Thanks for all the info, very informative. Do you know anything about the railroad train you can take in Anchorages? I read that you can take the train and stop in portage and take a bus back to the ship to save time. Didn't know if that would be good.

I noticed there were two train excursions out of Anchorage. Both head towards Portage/Seward/Whittier for Glacier viewing. At 10+ hours both seemed to be too long for us. Didn't hear about a bus back though. Note: it was a very easy drive. The Enterprise car rental office downtown is a 10 minute walk from the free ship shuttle and more importantly only 1 block off the one road you take to both Portage Glacier and the wildlife center. About an hour drive out there including stops to take pictures. Enterprise has after hours key drop so there is no hurry on return.

Edited by infinitiandbeyond
missed a few words

Super report! Thanks! I'm taking this same trip (same ship, too) leaving Seattle on September 11. It'll be my first ever cruise and I'm really looking forward to it.

Curious about the timing of the Gala Nights -- my PCC said there would be 3 of them. I assume they're on "sea days"?

Thank you for your review , glad you had a lovely vacation! We will be doing the same trip soon ( as I am sure many others on here) and any information is so welcome! Did you find any favourite quiet spots to read or just sit and enjoy coffee?

Were there any production shows/comedians/ magicians?

Is there much in the way of shops onboard?

Thanks so much

Julia :)

Hi Julia, quiet spots were easy to find in the Explorers lounge ( comfy leather couches and lounge chairs abound), crows nest has forward facing windows and more leather loungers, a spot by the windows near piano bar, and another near ocean bar. All great for coffee and a book.

Shops? Jewelery, gift shop, duty free but that's about it.

There were nightly shows in queens lounge. We had a couple comedians, a magician, several song and dance musical revues and the Indonesian crew show.

Also, most evenings there was other live music in multiple venues around the ship.

I enjoyed reading your review as I'll be doing this cruise on July 17th. What was the entertainment? Did they serve green pea soup on the Lower Promenade Deck whilst viewing the glaciers?

Hi Sue, they did serve pea soup on the lower prom and the bow at Hubbard Glacier. Also, every day there are cozy wool blankets (in a very HAL-ish blue, black, and white plaid!) available on all outdoor decks. A nice touch for chilly scenic viewing.

there were nightly shows (stage/musical/dancing, comedy, magician, etc) in the queens lounge at 8 and 10pm. Some better than others but all entertaining. Also live music in different spots on board throughout the evening. classical, Jazz, rock and roll, lounge piano all represented. Late night DJ dance music in crows nest. Also a nightly movie in the Wajang theater.

Super report! Thanks! I'm taking this same trip (same ship, too) leaving Seattle on September 11. It'll be my first ever cruise and I'm really looking forward to it.

Curious about the timing of the Gala Nights -- my PCC said there would be 3 of them. I assume they're on "sea days"?

Gala nights were on sea days. The first on day 2 northbound before entering the Inner Passage. Then crossing gulf of Alaska between Icy Staight Point and Anchorage, and southbound the night before Victoria.

Thanks I'm copying your OP to send to the NINE members of my family I have invited to sail this route on the Zaandam in 2018. None are on CC but me. Eight of us did the Vancouver roundtrip last year on the sister-ship Volendam, and I've even booked the same OV cabins (plus one) on the Lower Promenade.

The most thought-provoking idea you present is that of renting a car in Anchorage. I wonder if there is an oversized van to hold us all or will we need a mini-van and a mid-sized...

A couple thoughts on this being my first cruise and the age demographics. I found I really enjoyed unpacking one time and then visiting several ports over two weeks. Very relaxing vacation without many travel logistics to sort out every day. After excursions it was fun to return to the Amsterdam knowing a comfortable cabin, hot shower, entertainment and dinner as casual or as fancy as you want to have are all waiting.

At 35 and 45 we were worried we might be younger than most on HAL. Don't let this worry you. Go to a late dinner, the late show, and late drinks afterwards and you will find other younger and lively young-at-heart passengers. What we did notice was regardless of age, HAL passengers seem to really enjoy traveling making conversation easy and fun.

~Marc

Your report on entertainment is interesting and encouraging. Recent reports on Vista class ships after drydock indicate loss of dance floor in Crow's Nest, no combo in Ocean Bar etc. BBKings only game in town later at night. Happy to hear such a positive review.

Thanks I'm copying your OP to send to the NINE members of my family I have invited to sail this route on the Zaandam in 2018. None are on CC but me. Eight of us did the Vancouver roundtrip last year on the sister-ship Volendam, and I've even booked the same OV cabins (plus one) on the Lower Promenade.

The most thought-provoking idea you present is that of renting a car in Anchorage. I wonder if there is an oversized van to hold us all or will we need a mini-van and a mid-sized...

The downtown Enterprise has a large lot full of cars so I'd think they might have a van. Call them directly, they offered to pick us up at the Worldmark Hotel where the ship shuttle dropped us off downtown. It was a nice day so we walked so that we could see a few things and grab a bite to eat before picking up the car. Enterprise is about 10 blocks down from the shuttle stop on 5th ave. Once we got in the car it was a right turn out of the lot, go 1-2 blocks, then a left turn onto the road you take directly to the wildlife conservation center in Portage. (Seward Highway) The portage glacier is about 10 minutes further down the road. there are other glaciers you will see from the car. Overall an Easy drive for a tourist. Breathtaking scenery. It was nice to get away from the ship crowd and organized tours for a day and Amsterdam is in port 8am to 1030pm so we didn't feel rushed at all.

~marc

Your report on entertainment is interesting and encouraging. Recent reports on Vista class ships after drydock indicate loss of dance floor in Crow's Nest, no combo in Ocean Bar etc. BBKings only game in town later at night. Happy to hear such a positive review.

I was a little disappointed that there is no BBKing on Amsterdam. Along with late night crows nest There is dancing earlier in Ocean Bar when the combo band was playing.

Although smaller spaces and crowds overall there were nights with music in queens lounge, ocean bar, piano bar and a 1 to 3 piece classical set in another space to choose from. Not too bad.

First, thanks for taking the time to write this review. I'm doing this cruise later this summer and I'm pleased to read about the variety of music.

Second, did you use the ship's tour to Butchart Gardens? I've read reviews that said the time was too short. What was your experience?