San Diego military facilities???

Silverback969

Ladies and gents, I'm looking for any information or experience you may have had with military facilities in the San Diego area.

My lady and I are cruising out of San Diego early next year. Neither of us is wild about flying, so we're going to be driving from SE USA to San Diego and return. We're looking at two options, neither of which include flying. We're considering towing a small travel trailer to reduce the cross-country travel costs. The challenge here: what to do with the rig while we cruise. "The rig" is a Chevrolet Silverado 1500, crew cab with full-size bed (8' x 4'); trailer is 20 feet from hitch to bumper, so total length is approx 40'. Our best case scenario is parking the entire rig while still hitched; second-best is being able to park side-by-side. Free parking would be best; low-cost would be second-best. Of course, safety and security are huge considerations.

The second option is to make the cross-country trip in our car--a 2007 Impala--and find a nice, secure Park-n-Cruise hotel with transportation to the cruise port. We've found facilities in both Miami and Tampa where we were able to park at no cost, other than the cost of spending a night at the hotel before we left.

If anybody has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them. Thanks in advance.

There was an RV park/campground called Fiddler's cove on Coronado Island that was military only. Unsure of your week long parking options there unless paying for the week. There are plenty of 30-day lots at the various Navy bases, both 32nd street (closest to that terminal) and North Island that you could possible leave your vehicle and cab it over (not sure if it'd fly with base security leaving a trailer attached and unattended for a week though). If I still lived out there, I'd say park it at my place for the week lol.

For accommodations if taking the car, you could always try the Navy Lodge at 32nd street as it would be closest. Navy Gateway Inn and Suites is a much more affordable option as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I appreciate your response. I wasn't getting any hits on this forum, so I duplicate-posted over on "West Coast Departures." Based on their responses, and doing a little mental arithmetic concerning cost of gasoline to drive the Impala to West Coast versus cost to drive the p/u and tow the trailer. Nah, didn't take much computicating to figure out it'll be far more economical to drive the car and find some secure long-term parking.

Again, thanks for your help.

Silverback

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Should have done this much sooner--just to close the loop.  Our "final solution" was spend a couple nights at the Navy Inn, drove to the pier, parked in the vicinity--parking facility offered shuttle service to the pier.  Upon return from our cruise, we took the shuttle back to the parking facility, paid our bill, and drove away.  No muss, no fuss, no bother.

Getting ready to do the same, but cruise to Alaska, sailing out of Seattle.

Theredofshaw, thanks for your information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1