Currency needed...For Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea and Tasmania Cruise

2Canucks

Do I need to get currency for each of the following countries?

I'm doing Australasia, New Zealand, New Guinea and Tasmania cruises back to back.

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do I need to get currency for each of the following countries?

I'm doing Australasia, New Zealand, New Guinea and Tasmania cruises back to back.

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with me.

Pat

Read this thread and it will cover your money questions for Australia, NZ and Tasmania (Tasmania is a state of Australia so same currency)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2452847

Cannot comment on PNG other than I used Cowrie Shells to purchase my wife when I was there in 1967-1969..

Might still pay to bring a couple of those shells with you if have a spare one or two.

Depends on what you mean by Australasia, that's a big region.

Tasmania is part of Australia SO USES Aus$, New Zealand isn't and uses NZ$. PNG uses Kina, but many places will take Aus$.

Read this thread and it will cover your money questions for Australia, NZ and Tasmania (Tasmania is a state of Australia so same currency)

Cannot comment on PNG other than I used Cowrie Shells to purchase my wife when I was there in 1967-1969..

Might still pay to bring a couple of those shells with you if have a spare one or two.

Bet ya wish you could find any shells.

Well I would if that's how I got Mrs Gut anyway.

Bet ya wish you could find any shells.

Well I would if that's how I got Mrs Gut anyway.

One pella merri belongum me pella one was about 150 cowrie shells I think!

Probably more expensive now given it was almost 50 years ago, With inflation, however, I have got a lot more merri now for my dowry than when I made the initial purchase.

One pella merri belongum me pella one was about 150 cowrie shells I think!

Probably more expensive now given it was almost 50 years ago, With inflation, however, I have got a lot more merri now for my dowry than when I made the initial purchase.

Well Mrs Gut is a real winner then, she got huge growth on her investment

Depends on what you mean by Australasia, that's a big region.

Tasmania is part of Australia SO USES Aus$, New Zealand isn't and uses NZ$. PNG uses Kina, but many places will take Aus$.

The first cruise of my 4cruise B2B is the Oct 8/17 All Around Australia 28 Day cruise with a 3 day precruise stay in Sydney to start my adventure. I'll get a peek at some of the different areas of AUS.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the thread link.

The first cruise of my 4cruise B2B is the Oct 8/17 All Around Australia 28 Day cruise with a 3 day precruise stay in Sydney to start my adventure. I'll get a peek at some of the different areas of AUS.

Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify I was referring to PNG when I said some might take Aus$ in NZ YOU will need NZ$.

Thanks for the info.

During your precruise stay in Sydney I suggest going to a bank or moneychanger and ordering some Kina for your PNG cruise. The smaller ports in PNG don't have banks, they are mostly small islands, and changing Aussie dollars to local currency is hard and expensive for them. Please make the effort to take some Kina with you. Don't rely on being able to get some there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a PNG cruise. People came on board at the first port and exchanged AUS for kina but if you bought something like a drink you got your change in the local currency as happens in other parts of the world. Some of the supermarkets in Rabaul even had an exchange counter. AUS was accepted in the markets in the larger ports like Rabaul and Alotau with everything priced in $5 lots, paper not coins. The small islands like Kiriwina and Kitava are really the places where you need kina but they'll take notes for purchases of craft or food. I saw one passenger having trouble trying to pay with USD but I can't remember where that was sorry.

Sounds like a wonderful B2Bx2.

• 3 weeks later...

Simple answer. Get a Citibank Visa Debit Card. You can use any teller machine in any country to withdraw in local currency. No ATM fees, no foreign currency fees and the exchange rate is good.

Search here or Google for more info.

Johno, do you use a card to pay for a single cup of coffee? (as an example?) How about when splitting restaurant bills with friends? So many places here in Sydney will not split the bills. So then one person would have to put the whole bill on their card and then the others transfer the money into their accounts. we just find cash easier in that circumstance.

Johno, do you use a card to pay for a single cup of coffee? (as an example?) How about when splitting restaurant bills with friends? So many places here in Sydney will not split the bills. So then one person would have to put the whole bill on their card and then the others transfer the money into their accounts. we just find cash easier in that circumstance.

When that happens, I'm happy to just hand cash to my friend, or vice versa. Fewer still need cash than if everyone pays (and if you're under or over the right amount, it's easier to worry about with your friend than with another merchant.)

Restaurants not allowing bill splitting is not tolerated in NZ. Sure some restaurants have signs "one bill per table" where I am sure they mean "one payment per table" but these signs are universally ignored.

I did have an interesting experience at a restaurant in Sydney that tried to insist that I must wait for my waitress to give me a bill before I could pay (I was at the register tired on waiting and ready to leave). I simply said that I was willing to pay right now or I was going to leave right now without paying and then I asked which of these options they preferred. As you would imagine the bill was then instantly available.

Making it hard for customers to pay is a great example of very poor customer service. Do as every kiwi does and make it abundantly clear that such behaviour isn't tolerated. Since you're fed at this point you as the customer hold every card in the deck. The restaurant has no choice but to obey your direction assuming they want your money.