Carnival Elation vs RC Majesty

seejanecruise

Good afternoon! I'm hoping y'all can help me decide on the best cruise for our family situation. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

We will be cruising with my parents and our two daughters in August. Our girls are 4-years and (in August) 9-months. We're on a tight budget, so we are looking at 3-5 day cruises. We are driving from VA, so don't want to go any further than Port Canaveral. We aren't terribly picky and just have fun being together, but I also want my 4-year-old to have plenty to do. All that said, these are the two cruise options we've found...

5-day, Carnival Elation from Jacksonville to Half Moon Cay and Nassau. Slightly cheaper, shorter drive.

4-day, RC Majesty of the Seas from Port Canaveral to CocoCay and Nassau. Little water park area for our 4-year-old.

The Carnival cruise seems like a better deal at a day longer for less money, but I've never cruised with kids, so I'm not sure which cruise line or ship would be better! I've actually never cruised on RC, so I don't have a point of reference there, but I've heard they're nicer...?

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Good afternoon! I'm hoping y'all can help me decide on the best cruise for our family situation. :)

We will be cruising with my parents and our two daughters in August. Our girls are 4-years and (in August) 9-months. We're on a tight budget, so we are looking at 3-5 day cruises. We are driving from VA, so don't want to go any further than Port Canaveral. We aren't terribly picky and just have fun being together, but I also want my 4-year-old to have plenty to do. All that said, these are the two cruise options we've found...

5-day, Carnival Elation from Jacksonville to Half Moon Cay and Nassau. Slightly cheaper, shorter drive.

4-day, RC Majesty of the Seas from Port Canaveral to CocoCay and Nassau. Little water park area for our 4-year-old.

The Carnival cruise seems like a better deal at a day longer for less money, but I've never cruised with kids, so I'm not sure which cruise line or ship would be better! I've actually never cruised on RC, so I don't have a point of reference there, but I've heard they're nicer...?

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

I have never been on the Majesty but Elation is one of the older basic ships for Carnival. It won't have any bells and whistles and the ports are basically identical with Nassau and a private island stop.

Personally, I think it is easier to sail out of Jax than Port Canaveral - and you could make the run in one day with less stress to Jax and without having to do a hotel, if you wanted to drive thru the night while the babies slept. Last time we did PC we had to wait in traffic for 45+min before getting into the port.

Your 4 year old would be able to use the pools if potty trained. And Camp Carnival has plenty to do throughout the day and night.

If you are low maintenance as you say, I would opt for a 5 day break over a 4 any day!

I forgot to say you didn't indicate when you are cruising...if it will be cooler weather, then going south to PC will give you more warmth for your trip sooner....

Edited by A&Jfamily
addition

Either will be fun for your 4 year old. Neither have anything for the 9 month old...you're on your own with her! Carnival has larger standard cabins, if space is important, and you're on a budget. Check out both ships....they are more alike than different, in regards to activities.

Fellow VA resident...I agree, Jacksonville is way easier to sail out of with the bonus of being closer to home. Your ship will be the only ship in port that day. Also. my kids preferred Carnival's kids' camp to Royal Caribbean's. Carnival has a schedule for each hour versus a generalized list of what might happen during a block of time (RCCL). You can't go wrong with either Private Island...different from each other, but I loved them both. For a better experience, make the effort to walk away from the crowds who park themselves near the tender boat drop off point.