Nordic Prince

We sailed on the Nordic Prince in June of 1984 and the captain was Svein Pettersen from Norway.

I wish I had more details. I don't even have the actual dates but I do know we sailed from Miami.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the history of the Nordic Prince to the best of my knowledge:

1) From 1971 to 1995 she was the Nordic Prince with Royal Caribbean

2) From 1995 to 2005 she was the Carousel with Sun Cruises

3) From 2005 to 2006 she was the Aquamarine with Louis Cruise Lines

4) From 2006 to 2008 she was the Arielle with Transocean Tours

5) from 2008 to 2010 she was the Aquamarine with Louis Cruise Lines

6) from 2011 to now she is the Ocean Star Pacific with Ocean Star Cruises

She is laid up now as far as I know. I have heard everything from turning here into a hotel, to getting her back to cruising to just being scrapped. The fact that she has been laid up is not a good thing as it will take a lot of money to get her going again.

The beautiful Nordic Prince will likely never cruise again.

We sailed the Nordic Prince April 1984 on a 8 night cruise. Miami,Nassau,at sea,San Juan,St.Thomas for two days then two days at sea. The brochure I have lists cruises from April '83 to April '84 but they only offer 8 or 10 day cruises.

We sailed the Nordic Prince April 1984 on a 8 night cruise. Miami,Nassau,at sea,San Juan,St.Thomas for two days then two days at sea. The brochure I have lists cruises from April '83 to April '84 but they only offer 8 or 10 day cruises.

I wonder if they did something different in June of '84. I know we weren't on her 10 days so maybe it was 8 days.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Since you guys are talking about the Nordic Prince (we enjoyed cruising on this ship) we remember one very bad day for that vessel. It was in August 1991, early on a Monday morning, when 2 cruise ships (The Meridian (Celebrity) and the Nordic Prince) got trapped by Hurricane Bob which took an unexpected turn as she headed up the East Coast of the USA. Both ships had left NYC on that Sunday (Aug 18) on 7 their 7 day cruises to Bermuda. The Nordic Prince took it hard suffering a huge dent in her hull (for a giant wave) and several onboard injuries. We were on the Meridian and the Captain of the Nordic Prince radioed our Captain to please slow down and stay nearby in case the situation worsened. By dinner time that Monday both ships cleared the storm and made it to Bermuda with no further problems. Many of the Nordic Prince passengers accepted a RCCL offer to fly home rather then continue their cruise...while the Meridian (an older ship with a deeper V hull) rode the storm well and had no problems other then some smashed glassware, booze bottles, and a single injured crew member (burned by hot water in the galley).

Hank

Since you guys are talking about the Nordic Prince (we enjoyed cruising on this ship) we remember one very bad day for that vessel. It was in August 1991, early on a Monday morning, when 2 cruise ships (The Meridian (Celebrity) and the Nordic Prince) got trapped by Hurricane Bob which took an unexpected turn as she headed up the East Coast of the USA. Both ships had left NYC on that Sunday (Aug 18) on 7 their 7 day cruises to Bermuda. The Nordic Prince took it hard suffering a huge dent in her hull (for a giant wave) and several onboard injuries. We were on the Meridian and the Captain of the Nordic Prince radioed our Captain to please slow down and stay nearby in case the situation worsened. By dinner time that Monday both ships cleared the storm and made it to Bermuda with no further problems. Many of the Nordic Prince passengers accepted a RCCL offer to fly home rather then continue their cruise...while the Meridian (an older ship with a deeper V hull) rode the storm well and had no problems other then some smashed glassware, booze bottles, and a single injured crew member (burned by hot water in the galley).

Hank

That was an interesting account. Thanks for sharing it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Nordic Prince was my first cruise, also, in July 1993. What memories!

My parents and grandmother invited me to join them, and my 21-year-old self knew it was probably my last free vacation so of course I jumped at the chance. It was Seattle R/T to Alaska and it was amazing. Being on such a small ship (~23K gross tons) allowed us to get much closer to the glaciers than today's larger ships.

This was also back when cruises were different... caviar and escargots and ice sculptures and midnight buffets. Even though I was young, I am so glad I got to experience that.

My second cruise was on Voyager of the Seas, and although I knew the ship was big, I don't think I realized at the time that she is almost six times as large as the NP.

Sorry to hear that she has been decommissioned, especially when she was built the same year I was born (I'd like to think I have a lot more useful years left :D), but she and her crew gave my family an experience of a lifetime. I see from these posts that we're not the only ones.

• 3 months later...

Our first cruise was on the Nordic Prince in January 1985 on the 8 day itinerary. Since we were new to cruising and had nothing to compare it to, we thought it was wonderful--the dinners in the dining room, formal nights. Don't remember our Captain's name but he was Norweigen with a dry sense of humor. But our best memory was our cruise director, Ray Rouse. We've never had a better one in all our years of cruising. Years later we saw him in a video for the Cunard line.

Was on the Nordic Prince twice, once in the Caribbean and in Alaska. It was a great ship, just the right size ship, not a mega ship. If you were at one end of the ship and you wanted to go to the other end, you would have to go across, up then back down a deck, cuz the diningroom was in the way, or down & up.

• 9 months later...
A July 4th, 1984 cruise on Nordic Prince has been my only Royal Caribbean cruise experience. I remember it as being a very pleasant cruise. Food was very good, table mates were very nice people, one of whom I still keep in touch, and very small cabins. One could sit on one's bed and touch knees with the person sitting on their bed.

Memorable was our sailaway on July 4th from St. Thomas: the Captain, a Captain Peterson, I think, came on the PA and warned us--in case anyone had any--not to fire off any fireworks during the night. Fireworks at sea, he said, is a sign of a vessel in distress.

The only negative that I recall is from the night the comment cards were received. Our dining room waiter begged for an excellent rating. After all these years, I still remember this: his begging was so unnecessary. The service that he and the assistant waiter had given had been excellent--and we so indicated that on the comment card. But, his begging left a slightly sour taste towards my Royal Caribbean experience.

We were also on this cruise for our honeymoon. I believe it left on July 1st for 10 days. By any chance do you have the passenger list? For whatever reason Royal Caribbean doesn't have records that far back and didn't get us credit for the cruise, but if I had some proof they will give us the credit. Thanks in advance.

We were also on this cruise for our honeymoon. I believe it left on July 1st for 10 days. By any chance do you have the passenger list? For whatever reason Royal Caribbean doesn't have records that far back and didn't get us credit for the cruise, but if I had some proof they will give us the credit. Thanks in advance.

I used the boarding pix of me next to the cut out sailor that had Nordic Prince on it and that worked for my points!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
I agree it isn't the same.........RCCL isn't the same........Nordic Prince was our first cruise in 1987.....I still have the passenger list from that cruise along with a ton of pictures...........

I keep asking myself if the service and food was that much better.......or was it because it was my first cruise...........I believe the standards were much better than today.

Hi,

I realize this post of yours was a very, very long time ago yet in looking for memorabilia of a cruise i will never ever forget on the Nordic Prince back in 08/87 from NY to Bermuda on my Dream Honeymoon I stumbled onto to this great site & venue.

I don't know if you remember or not yet we (my late beautiful wife & I) we were one of the Honeymoon couple aboard it and there was another Honeymoon couple who's husband sadly got ill and spent the entire GREAT cruise in his cabin trying to recuperate from I believe motion sickness due to a BOMB scare and the captain forced to make up for lost time to get to the scheduled port on time?

I say "late wife" because I lost my beautiful treasure to terminal cancer 10 years after that never ever forgetting GREAT cruise at the age of 36. I unfortunately have never been the same since and recently all of my wedding & cruise pictures and life memorabilia was disgracefully stolen by a Scam Moving Artist based in Florida and I'm now looking for ANYTHING from that GREAT cruise so I can frame or display it for my Forever Memory.

In 1987 I did have the whole world and right by my side and it definitely was A DREAM COME TRUE but in 1997 my world came crashing down and left me very sadly all alone.

i hope each & everyone on this great site & venue with significant others TRULY Cherish every moment with your treasure and NEVER take them for granted because as much as it sounds like just a cliche, You are here one moment then gone the next and although I'm still physically here half of me definitely DIED in December of 1997.

Best Regards to you & Everyone Always,

SDeP

s_dep@outlook.com