What did you do to celebrate you retirement?

theminnow

Retirement is still 635 days away....seems like a long time but I'm sure it will pass quickly. While I won't be officially retired, I've booked a 12 day cruise out of New York for January 6, 2019 on the Anthem of the Seas. I'm hoping to be out of the office no later than mid-December 2018 and on vacation until January 31, 2019.

I'm so looking forward to not having to respond to the alarm clock....unless I want to. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Retirement is 12mths 20days 20hrs 25min away(but who's counting). Flying to San Diego for 2018 Thanksgiving with our daughter & son-in-law and spend a week there, then cruise Panama Canal LA-FLL.

Always nice to have something to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We planned our retirement 14 months ahead of time, this allowed us the opportunity to do some serious travel planing. We started in Barbados in November, Mexico in December, Panama Canal in January, Cayo Coca, in February, Palm Springs in March and Wales in April. I finally retired on April 28th. 2017. Six trips in six months pre- retirement. We are cruising to Alaska in September and then on to Hawaii in Sept / October. After working for 49 years my message is simple, don't wait until retirement to do the things you want to do. Enjoy life and travel while you can. I met up with an old friend I had not seen for a while and he told me that the only traveling him and his wife do now is to medical appointments.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We planned our retirement 14 months ahead of time, this allowed us the opportunity to do some serious travel planing. We started in Barbados in November, Mexico in December, Panama Canal in January, Cayo Coca, in February, Palm Springs in March and Wales in April. I finally retired on April 28th. 2017. Six trips in six months pre- retirement. We are cruising to Alaska in September and then on to Hawaii in Sept / October. After working for 49 years my message is simple, don't wait until retirement to do the things you want to do. Enjoy life and travel while you can. I met up with an old friend I had not seen for a while and he told me that the only traveling him and his wife do now is to medical appointments.

We did both Alaska and Hawaii you will enjoy them we stayed in Seattle post cruise 1 week and also 1 week post stay in Hawaii my wife wants to go back to both but there are other places i want to cruise Panama Canal and more of Europe. Retirement is wonderful

• 2 weeks later...
We did both Alaska and Hawaii you will enjoy them we stayed in Seattle post cruise 1 week and also 1 week post stay in Hawaii my wife wants to go back to both but there are other places i want to cruise Panama Canal and more of Europe. Retirement is wonderful

We did a full transit Panama from Miami to LA in January on NCL, highly recommend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi dartnut

we are planning a Panama cruise 2019 but want to know the difference full transit or partial transit which is better.

We haven't done a partial transit so I am guessing they go through one set of locks then turn around and go back through the same set of locks.

Our first cruise 2013 was the full transit west to east. There were 3 time changes setting clocks ahead one hour less sleep each change. So if you went east to west there would also be 3 time changes but setting clocks back. Getting a extra hour of sleep.

We are looking forward to our upcoming b2b cruise Nov. 2017 we will be doing another transit Fort Lauderdale FL to Santiago Chile.

Tom

I never retired formally - the world of work gave up on me during my mid-fifties. After 12 months of writing fruitless Job Applications and my wife being told there was no place in the organisation for her, we bought a hovel in France to renovate in September 2010. I thought we would need 6 months and about €10,000 to do the work (as much as possible to be done by us, despite having no experience ...). Friday 15th September 2017 was the start of Year 8 of the renovations - and as for the €10,000 budget ... I shall be 64 in 2 weeks time - I need to get back to work asap because in October 2018, I shall reach age 65 (the original retirement age) and it would be nice to have the work completed before I retire ... The trouble is, we discovered cruises - and camping holidays ...

we are planning a Panama cruise 2019 but want to know the difference full transit or partial transit which is better.

Most if not all of partial transit visit some Caribbean ports, then come through the Gatun Locks from Limon Bay in the Caribbean Sea (off the Atlantic Ocean); they then spend some time in Gatun Lake where for additional charge you may take a cruiseline excursion boarding a smaller ship or boat and going through the other two sets of locks (Pedro Miguel and Miraflores) to the Pacific Ocean then letting you off to bus back to your ship waiting in Limon and finish your Caribbean cruise. The Gatun Locks used by almost all of the cruise ships are "the old locks". The tariff to use the new locks is significantly higher, and cruises using them will be more expensive than the same cruise using the new locks.

3cf2da7875d661c65039fe958ddc1a4f--central-america-north-america.jpg

Full transits do the Pacific sets of locks and then normally head north up the west coast of Central American and Mexico to usually a California port. Exception would be a repositioning cruise that might turn south and go on down to South America, even on to Cape Horn and around to Buenos Aires. For the cruises to California, there are a number of port stops the company can choose from, in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, southern Mexico, and the Mexican Riviera (as it is called).

I would expect that most full transits (that don't go to South America and end in San Diego or San Pedro) are about 14 days as opposed to partial transits that may be as little as a week, to 10-11 days according to the other ports visited.

Nothing is best about either. It's a matter of which fits your schedule (and sometimes your pocketbook!) -- remember with a full transit you will be flying home from the other side of the continent, at least, after a somewhat longer cruise. Look at the other ports included (some may overnight at one end or the other of the PC offering shoreX that include riding the railway or visiting a native village) -- other than those overnighters, you will only spend a (long) day in Panama, better to choose a cruise the rest of which interests you.

Edited by crystalspin

Most if not all of partial transit visit some Caribbean ports, then come through the Gatun Locks from Limon Bay in the Caribbean Sea (off the Atlantic Ocean); they then spend some time in Gatun Lake where for additional charge you may take a cruiseline excursion boarding a smaller ship or boat and going through the other two sets of locks (Pedro Miguel and Miraflores) to the Pacific Ocean then letting you off to bus back to your ship waiting in Limon and finish your Caribbean cruise. The Gatun Locks used by almost all of the cruise ships are "the old locks". The tariff to use the new locks is significantly higher, and cruises using them will be more expensive than the same cruise using the new locks.

3cf2da7875d661c65039fe958ddc1a4f--central-america-north-america.jpg

Full transits do the Pacific sets of locks and then normally head north up the west coast of Central American and Mexico to usually a California port. Exception would be a repositioning cruise that might turn south and go on down to South America, even on to Cape Horn and around to Buenos Aires. For the cruises to California, there are a number of port stops the company can choose from, in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, southern Mexico, and the Mexican Riviera (as it is called).

I would expect that most full transits (that don't go to South America and end in San Diego or San Pedro) are about 14 days as opposed to partial transits that may be as little as a week, to 10-11 days according to the other ports visited.

Nothing is best about either. It's a matter of which fits your schedule (and sometimes your pocketbook!) -- remember with a full transit you will be flying home from the other side of the continent, at least, after a somewhat longer cruise. Look at the other ports included (some may overnight at one end or the other of the PC offering shoreX that include riding the railway or visiting a native village) -- other than those overnighters, you will only spend a (long) day in Panama, better to choose a cruise the rest of which interests you.

Thanks for the info. crystalspin

i will be looking at full transits with all the lines for 2019

Thanks for the info. crystalspin

i will be looking at full transits with all the lines for 2019

There are also full transits on cruises that go to Costa Rica and Panama. Windstar has 7 day and 10 day ones for 2018. (Their 2019 calendar isn't out yet.) They are running their September sale and prices look pretty good. Perhaps they will again next Sept.

Uncruise also has Panama and Costa Rica cruises - they are pretty expensive but I hear it is a great experience.

Two weeks to retirement, three weeks to our first trans Pacific cruise. Can't wait :-)

A trans-Pacific cruise is part of my plan too.

I'm planning on retiring next spring after working for 44 years since graduating college. My longest time off from work was the 6-week disability leave for childbirth. There were a few times we took 3 week vacations.

Last month we did an Alaska cruise along with some time exploring on land. When we booked that, I was thinking of retiring before it so it might have been to celebrate retirement. I decided to keep working until spring when some deferred compensation vests.

DH isn't interested on going on a trans-ocean voyage and I've been wanting to go on one. So I've booked solo on Windstar for a Japan to Seward transit b2b with an Alaska cruise - 27 days total.

A trans-Pacific cruise is part of my plan too.

I'm planning on retiring next spring after working for 44 years since graduating college. My longest time off from work was the 6-week disability leave for childbirth. There were a few times we took 3 week vacations.

Last month we did an Alaska cruise along with some time exploring on land. When we booked that, I was thinking of retiring before it so it might have been to celebrate retirement. I decided to keep working until spring when some deferred compensation vests.

DH isn't interested on going on a trans-ocean voyage and I've been wanting to go on one. So I've booked solo on Windstar for a Japan to Seward transit b2b with an Alaska cruise - 27 days total.

Since my retirement 4 years we will be going on our first extended cruise BTB Med. cruise with TA back to NY 24 days, we have done Alaska with 7 days post stay in Seattle and Hawaii with a 7 day post stay in Honolulu, we are trying to extend our cruises with either BTB or Pre and Post stays since retirement also looking at doing a River cruise along the Seine River clear.png?emoji-halo-1683