Shore Excursions or Not

mrscpbeal

I am new to cruising and taking my first cruise with my family in July. We are cruising on Carnival Paradise going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I'm planning our budget and was looking into excursions. The kids want to swim with the dolphins and we may do that in Grand Cayman. Other than that any ideas of things to do in Cozumel if we don't do any paid or planned excursions? What about things to do in Grand Cayman outside of schedules excursions. Also is it better to book in advance or on the ship? Thanks in advance.

CB

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have just booked my first cruise, so I cannot be much help but my travel agent (who has been booking cruises for over 30 years) very strongly recommended booking in advance instead of doing it on the ship. She pointed out that some excursions sell-out plus the lines can be very long on the ship.

Have fun!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to your first cruise! Both of your ports are good ports for doing on your own. If you check out the Ports of Call thread for both, you should find a lot of pros and cons of the various excursions. You can also check out TripAdvisor and get additional ideas and comments from those who have 'been there and done that". If you are comfortable planning and executing things on your own, you should have no problems. In Cozumel, there are loads of certified taxis located right outside the port area and there is a booth that you can get some information about the things to do there. On our last Cozumel stop, we took a taxi to Paradise Beach which turned out to be a great day! We just lounged around on the beach, had a few adult beverages, ate some good food and went back to the port. Lots less expensive than an excursion! Both Cozumel and Grand Cayman are very popular ports, so I know you will get a lot of good advice! Hope your first cruise is a winner!!

I would suggest that you check out the shore excursion information for your cruise on the cruise line's web site. See what is of interest to you and if the price is OK with you.

(I don't think I am making an error in posting the following. Editors, if I am, forgive me and delete this entire post. )

Check Viator (which I believe is connected with TripAdvisor which is connected with Cruise Critic) offers independent shore excursions at many ports. I have booked two through them and have been very pleased with one and OK with the other.

Booking a cruise line shore excursion will provide peace of mind as to the quality of the vendor of the tour as well as the ship will wait for you if the tour runs very late.

Waiting to book and attending the shore excursion talks once aboard is not a bad thing to do. But, the travel agent was correct; very popular shore excursions can sell out prior to sailing.

I hope this helps and I hope you will enjoy your first cruise! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Both ports are easy to do without a ship excursion. For Grand Cayman I would suggest taking the youngins to swim with the rays. Captain Marvin or Nativeway both have good tours. First visit we did Nativeway's Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour. Worth every penny.

In Coz we just grab a cab to Chankanaab. Gorgeous place, plenty to do, good food, good service and they do have dolphins. Entry fee was $21 @ last trip. There is a $2 coupon at www.cozumelinsider.com. Probably need to reserve the dolphins. Check out: www.dolphindiscovery.com.

The more you know about your ports, the better time you'll have, and the more money you can save! Google your ports and the activities you want to do...lots of info! Or, pick up a guidebook from your local library!

Definitely read up on the cruise excursions offered for your ports, look at the port of call boards here at Cruise Critic. If you find something that appeals to you book it.

Having an excursion to look forward to really enhances your vacation and gives something else to look forward to besides the general thrill of being on board a beautiful ship.

Jonathan

For Cozumel, would you be willing to plan something if it only cost $15 for a taxi ride for 4, $3 per person to enter (chairs, umbrellas, the beach and pool) plus $10 per person for drinks and $18 for your kids to use huge inflatable water toys all day?

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/team-post/fun-pass/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d574699-Reviews-Paradise_Beach-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

This really is a steal. Look at the reviews - folks say their kids liked this better than swimming with dolphins! If you ship is in on a Sunday you don't even have to pay the $3 entrance fee.

I would suggest that you check out the shore excursion information for your cruise on the cruise line's web site. See what is of interest to you and if the price is OK with you.

(I don't think I am making an error in posting the following. Editors, if I am, forgive me and delete this entire post. )

Check Viator (which I believe is connected with TripAdvisor which is connected with Cruise Critic) offers independent shore excursions at many ports. I have booked two through them and have been very pleased with one and OK with the other.

Booking a cruise line shore excursion will provide peace of mind as to the quality of the vendor of the tour as well as the ship will wait for you if the tour runs very late.

Waiting to book and attending the shore excursion talks once aboard is not a bad thing to do. But, the travel agent was correct; very popular shore excursions can sell out prior to sailing.

I hope this helps and I hope you will enjoy your first cruise! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Of course you can mention checking out the website for the cruise line. In fact, that's advice I give many times on CC. Even when we're repeating a ship, we always go through the cruise line web site before a cruise to see if anything's changed.

I am new to cruising and taking my first cruise with my family in July. We are cruising on Carnival Paradise going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I'm planning our budget and was looking into excursions. The kids want to swim with the dolphins and we may do that in Grand Cayman. Other than that any ideas of things to do in Cozumel if we don't do any paid or planned excursions? What about things to do in Grand Cayman outside of schedules excursions. Also is it better to book in advance or on the ship? Thanks in advance.

CB

Hello CB, I'm new to cruising also. I would suggest that you check out the excursions listed for your cruise on the Carnival website. My cruise isn't until Jan "18, but some of the excursions are already sold out. I hope you have a great time no matter the excursion :cool:

Hi Mimi2say. Thanks. I can't wait and the kids can't either. Thanks to some of the good info I've gotten on this board this far I actually decided to do the excursions on my own and save a little money. [emoji6]

Hi Mimi2say. Thanks. I can't wait and the kids can't either. Thanks to some of the good info I've gotten on this board this far I actually decided to do the excursions on my own and save a little money. [emoji6]

I am sure that you will have a ball! Saving money is an added plus! Just make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship on time :cool: