Land and cruise trip

Ladyaruba

we are doing a 12 days land and cruise from Fairbanks to Vancouver

What would you recommend for a carryon? Hubby will take a backpack and I will also have something. I read that using one with wheels isn't good for on busses or the rail? Should I also use a backpack? Mine would have extra clothing for layering and nighttime stuff. Suggestions?

Thank you

HI Ladyaruba! Welcome to CC.

My sister and I are doing a 14 day cruise tour at the end of August, so I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject. From what I've read, bags with wheels will not fit under the seats on the bus or train. They are talking about backpacks and purses when they say "carry-on", which is much different from what the term means in air travel.

For what you want to carry, you might think about a tote bag, like what you would take to the beach You could also do a small backpack. This is the one my sister got for when we were at Disney World:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOMAKE-Lightweight-Packable-Backpack-Resistant/dp/B01A1YCTAS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497449393&sr=8-3&keywords=daypack

Hopefully this helps. :)

We've just returned from a similar trip and Yes, a wheeled 'normal' air travel sized bag would be too big for the bus/train. Those who had them on our trip normally had to keep them in the under-bus storage, as the luggage racks are quite shallow. Princess recommended no larger than 17"x14"x4", although ours were an inch or two larger than this and fitted fine. However, you don't need to carry nighttime stuff in your carry-on, as your normal suitcase(s) will be transported to the next hotel/lodge, and ours were always in our new room by the time we arrived.

we are doing a 12 days land and cruise from Fairbanks to Vancouver

What would you recommend for a carryon? Hubby will take a backpack and I will also have something. I read that using one with wheels isn't good for on busses or the rail? Should I also use a backpack? Mine would have extra clothing for layering and nighttime stuff. Suggestions?

Thank you

I would certainly get a small rollable/spin suitcase. Get one that will fit under an airline seat and small enough for overheads in a plane. I hate backpacks and those big purse type things weigh you down. I got one on Amazon years ago and it's gone to China, India, Europe 3 x, Thailand, etc. And it will hold everything I need for a week-end.

Next time you see a piece of four spinner wheel luggage in an airport, look carefully at the fine print on each wheel:

"Attention luggage handlers: Please break me off."

Meh, I know it happens, but my current set of spinner luggage has traveled thousands of miles on multiple airline trips all over the US, and I've had no issues.

All that being said, from everything I've read, spinner bags that will fit under airline seats won't fit under the bus or train seats that are used. OP will be better off with a backpack or tote bag.

I always bring a set of clothes and nightwear in case our

luggage gets lost

We've just returned from a similar trip and Yes, a wheeled 'normal' air travel sized bag would be too big for the bus/train. Those who had them on our trip normally had to keep them in the under-bus storage, as the luggage racks are quite shallow. Princess recommended no larger than 17"x14"x4", although ours were an inch or two larger than this and fitted fine. However, you don't need to carry nighttime stuff in your carry-on, as your normal suitcase(s) will be transported to the next hotel/lodge, and ours were always in our new room by the time we arrived.

HI Ladyaruba! Welcome to CC.

My sister and I are doing a 14 day cruise tour at the end of August, so I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject. From what I've read, bags with wheels will not fit under the seats on the bus or train. They are talking about backpacks and purses when they say "carry-on", which is much different from what the term means in air travel.

For what you want to carry, you might think about a tote bag, like what you would take to the beach You could also do a small backpack. This is the one my sister got for when we were at Disney World:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOMAKE-Lightweight-Packable-Backpack-Resistant/dp/B01A1YCTAS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497449393&sr=8-3&keywords=daypack

Hopefully this helps. :)

This might be perfect! If we don't need it for some reason, it will fold up. Would be good for excursions at ports also!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help.

I ended up buying a combo backpack/carryon which is about the

side of the carryon I use whenever we go away. This should work great for what we need for the land portion of our trip plus port excursions where we might have to start shedding layers and will have a place to put them!