Which lines offer partially adapted cabins?

Slugsta

I have a long-term condition that affects my mobility (and it is getting worse). I use a wheelchair quite a lot on board cruise ships but I can walk.

We went up to see the Northern Lights on Oriana earlier this year and there was nowhere to store my chair in the cabin. Even after removing the table, hubby and I had to take it in turns standing up in the space that was left and waltzing around my chair. I need some adaptations but not a fully adapted cabin and I don't want to take one of these from someone who does need it.

I know that some lines offer partially adapted cabins. What I would need is more space for the chair, wider doors to cabin and electronic door opening.

I am unable to fly, so we cruise from Southampton, this would be looking only at lines that do this (ie mainly P+O, Princess etc).

Many thanks for your help.

Sorry but I've only ever seen fully adapted on Royal, celebrity and ncl, no partial. The other option and I know it costs more, is a suite. The sky suite on celebrity is vast. The Royal suite and grand suite of Royal will help too but neither have adapted wet rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your input Tigger. Having to pay for a suite would mean cruising became an expensive treat for special occasions only, which would make me sad as it is the only way I can 'travel' these days :(

I think you may have to check out the individual ships. The newer ships have the better accommodations. As far as the “accessible” cabins, you are a person that does require the space and wider door, thus please request one. There is not any reason for you to endure inconveniences.

Most the modified cabins really do not have ample space, especially on Carnival. Also, I believe the automatic doors are only available on the “accessible cabins” on the newer ships.

Would it be possible for you to take a train to one of the other ports out of the London area? Or a ferry to Europe? A few years ago, I had located ferry service to the Netherlands and a train to Amsterdam for connecting with cruises in and out of Amsterdam. I believe the ferry to and from Denmark has been discontinued. Thus Copenhagen would not be practical.

Check which ships sail out of your ports and write to the cruise line Special Needs for detailed information of the cabins. They would be able to provide the most accurate information. I'm positive that will recommend that you get an HC cabin.

Good luck,

Betty

I know that some lines offer partially adapted cabins. What I would need is more space for the chair, wider doors to cabin and electronic door opening.

I am unable to fly, so we cruise from Southampton, this would be looking only at lines that do this (ie mainly P+O, Princess etc).

On another thread, someone posted that Holland America and Carnival have modified accessible cabins. You might check with those cruise lines to see if their modified accessible cabins are what you are looking for.

Here's the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53311903#post53311903