Ideas to surprise my kids with our cruise

meganelise

hello-

we just booked a cruise for February which is part of my kids Christmas gift this year. (i know, i am planning early, kids are 20,18,12,10) we will be on the carnival vista for 8 days, during the PNW's frigid winter!!! anywho, one of the kids gifts they will open will tell them about the cruise and destinations. I am looking for some creative ideas for it, packaging, items to include etc. As of right now, I think i will make them some luggage tags with the ship info, include a float chair or raft for the beaches, and maybe a couple of warm weather clothing items. we did a scavenger hunt last year for hawaii so i'm not wanting to repeat that.

Thank you!

We have a tradition in my house for cruising and gifts. If the cruise is on Christmas, we exchange the gifts that we can use on the cruise the week before, that way if there are any tech gifts, we can figure them out before the trip. Any gifts that can wait until Christmas Day will be given on the ship.

If the cruise is several weeks or months before, we get gifts that we can use on the cruise and give them on Christmas Day. For instance, I just got off a cruise last week. For Christmas, my big gift was a camera with a 35x zoom to take on the ship. That way, any tech gifts, such as the camera in this case, can be figured out before we leave.

In this case, you might want to consider gifts like that, as well as themed gifts from your ports of call. Get something traditional from each port, do your reasearch here. For example, if you're leaving out of New Orleans, you might get them a Mardi Gras mask from the French Quarter. Make the name tags out of luggage tags and see if they notice a theme. You might also consider wrapping the presents in wrapping paper that has a travel theme to them

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

When I did it with our kids who were young adults, I included a bottle of sunscreen, aloe, a book from the cruise line,luggage tags and other travel size things… Can't remember the exact items included. You could also make for the little ones a countdown calendar marking the days until you leave. Maybe include a bon voyage balloon and fancy flip flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When the kids were younger I made a puzzle and had them reveal their surprise by putting it together. For our last cruise I put together memory / autograph books (Disney cruise ;)) with a page outlining the itinerary. There were also journal pages for each port and I added photographs when we got home. For Easter each child received a new backpack and inside was their book.

I think the planning is half the fun! Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't surpress my excitement and told our kids (15,12,6,4). So in turn I'm doing up their room as a surprise once one board. CCL is a dr suess theme for the kids. So i am doing a book with a themed treat that goes a long with it. (1 fish, 2 fish with Swedish fish and goldfish etc) Inspirational quotes and going to blitz their door and room crazy suess style. With daily updates for the big kids.

Soooo once you suprise them....keep it coming!! Sometimes the planning is just as fun. There us only ONE first cruise.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app