Regent Seven Seas Mariner , long boat ride

tomAber

Returned a month ago from Alaska , As usual, the boat was clean, the staff , over the top sincere and friendly, food excellent. Thats where it ended. 4 of our 5 excursions cancelled because of weather, Victoria Island ( the highlight ) , the boat could not dock on the final port, so we circled some island about 7 times, day and night so we could dock in Vancouver per schedule. I honestly though I was in the Navy, we spent way to many days on board, cold and rainy. When we arrived in Vancouver even after circling some "island" for 20 hours, we arrived late and we missed out flight back to the US and had to pay extra to get out of Canada. This was our 4th Regent cruise, the other three were pure fun, all on board were fun and festive, this ride was lousy, flat and uneventful, even the TV in the room only had soccer news. Think twice about this cruise line because it wasn't cheap like the experience.

Really sorry to hear that your cruise was ruined by poor weather. What I don't understand is why you are blaming Regent. I assume that all cruise ships that sailed the week that you did encountered the same weather issues. Is there something that I am missing?

Also, do you recall what time the ship arrived in Vancouver? It is a shame that you missed your flight. Which airline did you fly. Generally, when same-day changes have to be made, there is no charge to change flights. Whichever airline you flew, I'd like to avoid it.

Thanks!

Well, I have no idea how bad weather is the fault of the cruise line...and I'm guessing you didn't book Regent air or you wouldn't have had any additional costs flying out.

And I know for a fact that Regent has a LOT more on TV than soccer news; there are tons of movies and other enrichment choices.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the 'lousy, flat, and uneventful, cruise (aside from the weather, of course).

PS - welcome to the boards. Interesting first post, to say the least.

Edited by UUNetBill
Added PS

This person booked a flight out way to early. I do not even know the time of day but know not to book early. I have been lucky the two times i been to Vancouver I could stay longer but my flight home was always around 1 pm. No one should book a flight before general anywhere.

Is this report about the same cruise from which Z&TB did their excellent blog?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2497532&page=9

If so tomAber seems to have a very different perspective on the experience.

A great shame that the Alaskan weather did not live up to the TS/OP's expectations and that they missed their early flight home.

I would take the Captain was doing the right thing---I'd go for be safe first. Coming in to Vancouver late--who knows but I don't think Regent would bring the ship in late unless they had a good reason---after all they want you off the ship to get it ready for the next cruise. They need the time. Also I always take a later flight just in case, you can always relax without worry in the lounge.

IMO, some posters are being a bit hard on the TS. Although it is true that the Captain made the right decision (you don't have to be on the ship to understand that), the TS spent good money on the cruise and has a good reason to be disappointed. OTOH, it clearly isn't Regent's fault. I just feel that we need to be more understanding and welcoming to new posters on CC.

The OP post reminds me of when George was a young lawyer. American Airlines hired him to defend them in a case where a guy was suing them because he bought one of those package vacations to Cancun. While he was there on vacation, a hurricane hit. He suited American because his trip was ruined because of the weather. Needless to say, he lost, but he was not deterred. He appealed, and lost again, with the appeals court awarding George costs and attorney fees.

Bottom line, the cruise line can't control the weather.

I just feel that we need to be more understanding and welcoming to new posters on CC.

Jackie, that's much easier to do if their first post is more than just a hit piece blaming Regent for something that's quite possibly not their fault. Some more detail would have been helpful.

There was a similar thread earlier this year where a fairly new poster (maybe a first post as well) flamed Regent pretty badly...but it eventually turned into a fairly decent discussion as I recall.

Point is, the OP has every right to come here and complain, but that also comes with an implied obligation to discuss any perceived shortcomings - that's how things improve.

Jackie, that's much easier to do if their first post is more than just a hit piece blaming Regent for something that's quite possibly not their fault. Some more detail would have been helpful.

There was a similar thread earlier this year where a fairly new poster (maybe a first post as well) flamed Regent pretty badly...but it eventually turned into a fairly decent discussion as I recall.

Point is, the OP has every right to come here and complain, but that also comes with an implied obligation to discuss any perceived shortcomings - that's how things improve.

Agree. And if the TS does not return, it makes me question the past. Just wanted to give them a chance.