Cam of the Day

From the cam on the hill above Ketchican, Alaska . 4 ships in port today, Emerald Princess , Grand Princess, , Noordam and Silver Shadow

28hlydd.jpg

Poor Ketchican! When I visited there, at the end of the season, the taxi driver told me I wouldn't recognise the place after all the people, who work in Ketchican for the summer cruise season, leave.

• 2 weeks later...
5 ships in Ketchican today. At anchor is Grand Princess and docked are Star Princess , Norwegian Jewel , Volendam , and Island Princess.

That's 10,862 passengers on a day visit.:eek::eek:

30hn0r4.jpg

2r389he.png

Talk about cruise industry loving Alaska to death. I recommend the Alaskan Marine Highway where you can enjoy all the ports before and after all the cruise ships leave for the day.

Thanks David, Alaska is always very busy during their summer. A friend (of a friend) lives in Skagway for the cruise season only and makes a living for the year.

I was told by taxi driver in Ketchikan most people are only there for the Season, then they return to Mexico.

I was told by taxi driver in Ketchikan most people are only there for the Season, then they return to Mexico.

Yes Ketchikan, Skagway etc on the Alaskan cruise route are very busy in summer, crows cannot fit on the footpaths, all over the road. In winter they are ghost towns.

When we did it on Carnival Spirit in May 2006 it was not too bad as only two ships in most ports. However in the real high season July/August when Americans/Europeans take holidays then it is out of control, 4, 5, 6 ships in. :loudcry:

• 1 month later...
From the Crystal Serenity in Ketchican today. Other ships in port are Star Princess and Nieuw Amsterdam

11_k_1.jpg

11_k_2.jpg

thats the Golden Princess isnt it at the front with its trolley bar handle night club at the back of her , not seen any others with that at the back except her

thats the Golden Princess isnt it at the front with its trolley bar handle night club at the back of her , not seen any others with that at the back except her

Star Princess has the trolley handle as well lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Caribbean Princess.:)

The Grand was built with one but was removed in 2011 due to weight issues.

cool i love them such a good place to go during the day just to relax in a different spot

cool i love them such a good place to go during the day just to relax in a different spot

They are a brilliant spot. Love it, too. And I actually like the look of them on the ship. Very unique.

I've been on both Star and Golden and can't say I noticed a difference in size.

They are a brilliant spot. Love it, too. And I actually like the look of them on the ship. Very unique.

I've been on both Star and Golden and can't say I noticed a difference in size.

was looking at the stats on princesses site star is taller and heavier and 1 metre longer :halo:

Diamond Princess also had one.

just looked at a photo theirs is forward of the bum of the ship looks weird there but it is still a trolley handle just in wrong spot lol that would be different i like the ones right at the back as you get a good view of the wake of the ship i know you would still see it but there would also be ship in the view if that makes sense