Suggest a good, affordable underwater camera

zdub86

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, affordable underwater camera to use for snorkeling? Something that won't break the bank preferably. Currently I am looking at this one: Sony HDR-AS100V along with the underwater casing that you can buy separately.

Also, while snorkeling is it best to keep it around your wrist? Do people use the head mount while snorkeling?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, affordable underwater camera to use for snorkeling? Something that won't break the bank preferably. Currently I am looking at this one: Sony HDR-AS100V along with the underwater casing that you can buy separately.

Also, while snorkeling is it best to keep it around your wrist? Do people use the head mount while snorkeling?

Thanks!

There are numerous alternate brands of action cameras which are compatible with the GoPro range of accessories. Many of them are identical in specification to the GoPro models but significantly cheaper. Sjcam was the original of such brands, I have the Campark version of the hero 5 and used it snorkelling for the first time recently. I was pretty happy with the quality of the pictures I got from it but the water wasn't too clear as it was raining heavily.

I'd recommend the action cam option as you can get a huge range of accessories for it and it's even smaller than a compact waterproof.

I am a minority here on my choice it seems as I did research before on the Camera board here (which you might wanna ask at also btw, they are smart cookies there!!).

I bought a Fujifilm XP10 oh... years and years ago, around 10 maybe? I thought it worked wonderful! So wonderful, than when my son got interested in photography and it wouldn't break the bank I bought him one also about 3 years later. While they don't take the best pictures being 10 years old, they work very well still.

So well for our next trip, I bought one of the much newer (aka 6 gen newer..) models. It works just as well! I got it on Amazon for about $250. That wasn't just the camera, that was also a 64 gig card, float strap, case, 6 batteries in total (bought 4 more for $25 which is included in that $250 cost) 3 chargers, tri-pod... blah blah blah a ton more stuff.

Anyway for me and less than $300 I couldn't beat the price at all! I know the cameras hold us as our old ones cases are soo beat up but they are still waterproof and work good.

The newer models XP90/120 have all the bells and whistles you expect from a camera like the wifi and 1080p and all that. I was looking at a Cannon but I couldn't justify $200 more for well... not much more in the way of quality of them.

There are numerous alternate brands of action cameras which are compatible with the GoPro range of accessories. Many of them are identical in specification to the GoPro models but significantly cheaper. Sjcam was the original of such brands, I have the Campark version of the hero 5 and used it snorkelling for the first time recently.

Alternatively you could save some cash by going with an older model of GoPro. I have a Hero 3+ Silver and a 4 Black and the 3 seems to work better. We shot this entirely on the 3 to give you an idea of image quality...

[YOUTUBE]jjUGbPnTqZA[/YOUTUBE]

An older and/or refurbished model of GoPro will give you the quality you want without breaking the bank :) I saved nearly $100 by purchasing a refurbished Hero4 Silver and it's a fantastic camera.

We bought a Fujifilm Finepix XP90- it's not the newest model but this one had better reviews than the newer model (XP120). It was $170 and we also bought floating wrist straps for it. It's a great camera! We were extremely happy with the picture quality and the durability of it. I would highly recommend it! Keep in mind, due to the weight of the camera you may need two of the floating wrist straps to be sure you don't lose it. They're pretty cheap though!

Thanks!

My recommendation for a still-photography camera: https://www.adorama.com/ircwg30gy.html

If you are more interested in video than in still images, then probably go with a go pro type camera which is for video shooters.

I have owned the WG-1, WG-2 and now the WG-3. Solid, reliable, great image quality. Built like a tank! The WG-30 linked here is a newer slightly less expensive version than the one I have; as far as I know the difference is that mine has built-in GPS, the WG-30 does not. Only issue is that you won't get more than 200 or so images on one battery charge, so you may want to buy extra batteries to get you through a day's shooting.

As for as where to strap such cameras... Just make sure it is attached to you. Wherever it is secure, where it will not interfere with your swimming, and where it is quickly accessible for the images of a lifetime when that shark starts attacking your swim buddy.

Whatever you get, practice ahead of time. Underwater shooting is different.

Stan

Not sure how cheap you are looking at getting. We purchased this lightdow off of amazon for $50. Another $20 and got a nice case and as many accessories you could think including float handle for the water. We have only used it at the pools and I feel it takes good underwater video, will see how it does on our cruise in July.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightdow-LD6000-Sports-Action-Camera/dp/B00XC46S2U

Thanks!

What's your camera budget looking like? If you're not cruising for several months yet, be sure to have a look at Black Friday sales. If you don't like getting out into the crowds, stores offer their sales prices online too. We got a GoPro Hero 4 Silver on Black Friday last year from Sam's Club for $200. It included a spare battery, a dual battery charger, and a 16gb micro-SD card. We also bought a couple of 64gb cards that were on sale cheap. Then I bought a floating handle for $15 that also includes a tri-pod mount and a trigger mechanism to be able to hold the handle and trigger the shutter button with one hand. It comes with an attached lanyard. Even though it floats, I'll still keep it on my wrist so it can't float away.

What's your camera budget looking like? If you're not cruising for several months yet, be sure to have a look at Black Friday sales. If you don't like getting out into the crowds, stores offer their sales prices online too. We got a GoPro Hero 4 Silver on Black Friday last year from Sam's Club for $200. It included a spare battery, a dual battery charger, and a 16gb micro-SD card. We also bought a couple of 64gb cards that were on sale cheap. Then I bought a floating handle for $15 that also includes a tri-pod mount and a trigger mechanism to be able to hold the handle and trigger the shutter button with one hand. It comes with an attached lanyard. Even though it floats, I'll still keep it on my wrist so it can't float away.

Do you mind sharing a link to the handle thing?

This post sparked my interest in looking to upgrade our very old Fijifilm camera and I found the 120 is on sale at Costco right now for $150 with a 16 gig card and and cheapy case

Have you tried the camera out? Wondering how the quality is and would love any feedback. I am torn between that and just spending the extra $200 for an Olympus TG-4. The photo quality is excellent on those but it's an investment!

Do you mind sharing a link to the handle thing?
No problem. Just to be clear, it's made for a GoPro and one other brand of action camera that's a similar shape.

The trigger comes off and you can screw on the tripod mount to use it that way. But I figured if we're snorkeling, one-handed operation would come in handy. The cap on the bottom where the lanyard attaches unscrews and is sealed. The handle is hollow. Not sure what you would put in there, maybe some cash.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXLSDRE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only camera you should be looking at is a GoPro!

Thanks!

I am a minority here on my choice it seems as I did research before on the Camera board here (which you might wanna ask at also btw, they are smart cookies there!!).

I bought a Fujifilm XP10 oh... years and years ago, around 10 maybe? I thought it worked wonderful! So wonderful, than when my son got interested in photography and it wouldn't break the bank I bought him one also about 3 years later. While they don't take the best pictures being 10 years old, they work very well still.

So well for our next trip, I bought one of the much newer (aka 6 gen newer..) models. It works just as well! I got it on Amazon for about $250. That wasn't just the camera, that was also a 64 gig card, float strap, case, 6 batteries in total (bought 4 more for $25 which is included in that $250 cost) 3 chargers, tri-pod... blah blah blah a ton more stuff.

Anyway for me and less than $300 I couldn't beat the price at all! I know the cameras hold us as our old ones cases are soo beat up but they are still waterproof and work good.

The newer models XP90/120 have all the bells and whistles you expect from a camera like the wifi and 1080p and all that. I was looking at a Cannon but I couldn't justify $200 more for well... not much more in the way of quality of them.

I just bought the XP 90 for $150 new. I wanted something that I can take good quality still photos with underwater, and not risk my Nikon rig. We also have a GoPro Hero 3 black, but you can't be sure of what you are shooting until after you are back in the cabin.

The only camera you should be looking at is a GoPro!
That's not necessarily true. First, we don't know what the OP means by "affordable." It's different for different people and a GoPro might be out of their range. Second, even though I've never used one, I've read very good things about some of the underwater point-and-shoot cameras out there that are cheaper than GoPros. And this is coming from an owner of a GoPro.

We also have a GoPro Hero 3 black, but you can't be sure of what you are shooting until after you are back in the cabin.
That's why, when I was in the market for one, I wasn't going to go with one without the rear LCD screen. It's not as precise as looking through an eyepiece, but better than the guesswork of shooting without the rear display.

That's not necessarily true. First, we don't know what the OP means by "affordable." It's different for different people and a GoPro might be out of their range. Second, even though I've never used one, I've read very good things about some of the underwater point-and-shoot cameras out there that are cheaper than GoPros. And this is coming from an owner of a GoPro.

That's why, when I was in the market for one, I wasn't going to go with one without the rear LCD screen. It's not as precise as looking through an eyepiece, but better than the guesswork of shooting without the rear display.

This is why I suggested the non-branded versions of a GoPro, I got a campark version that was the same spec as the hero5 so it has the rear LCD and wifi capability for less than you'd pay for any of the regular point &shoot compacts.

And you get a heap of attachment accessories included.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a used Pentax Optio W80, which came out in about 2009. It's a great little adventure camera and it's gone underwater in the Atlantic, the Pacific, and several streams and rivers. Mostly I do still shots as opposed to video. The down side is that the battery life is not as good as some others, particularly if you do lots of zooming in and out.