Family Cruise

Keith1010

I was fortunate to have experienced my first cruise at the age of 12. The experience was great and my wife and I took our children on our first family cruise when they were ages 5 and 9 years young. Their first cruise was on the Big Red Boat and from there we began to take cruises yearly starting with Celebrity Cruises for several years and then branching out on other cruise lines (several on Princess, one on Carnival, one on Holland America and then eventually when they were 16 and 20 Crystal Cruises). They enjoyed each one.

Wel fast forward to June of this year and we booked our family on a Crystal Cruise and that included our children, their spouses and our grandchildren two of which were 2 and 1/2 years young and one who is 5 years 8 months young. Because of the time of year there was not a children's program. The summer months would have had one.

We had an amazing time and Crystal is a luxury line.

It reenforced our belief that cruising can be enjoyable for people of all ages and that even without a formal children's program we as a family can make the cruise fun for everyone.

We began with a few days in Disneyland and then followed this with a seven day Crystal Cruise with stops along the California coast. We would have had just a good time if the itinerary was the Caribbean, The Northeast, or Alaska. We would just find things in ports that would be fun for the children which you can easily do and we made the time on board the voyage special for them.

My point is that sometimes people ask what is the best cruise line for children or will children be bored on certain ships and some of this will come down to the parents and in our case the grandparents and the children but the parents can really have the most impact on all of this.

Here's a few photos.

Rented bicycles in Santa Barbara.

dsc00543_orig.jpg

We renewed our wedding vows on board the ship and the grandchildren and the grandchildren had fun too.

dsc00573_orig.jpg

At night we went to one of the lounges where a live band performed and the grandchildren danced.

dsc00622_orig.jpg

dsc00624.jpg

The wait staff in the dining room enjoyed the grandchildren.

18222340-1483930998311820-1741293729606347200-n_1.jpeg?1494065100

One of them got to be captain for the moment.

dsc00654_orig.jpg

More in a moment.

Keith

One evening we (the adults) went to dinnerwhile we had babysitters for the young ones and another night my wife and Iwere the babysitters.

vintage_orig.jpg

Most importantly we made family memories whichwill last a lifetime.

dsc-7818_orig.jpg

dsc-7861_orig.jpg

Most importantly we made family memories whichwill last a lifetime.

I hope each of you do too.

Keith

Great photos, Keith. Thank you for sharing. I've never been able to get my family to agree to a cruise. I've heard all the excuses. I think a cruise makes for a great family vacation.

Roz