Are solo cruisers being discriminated by CUNARD?

travelberlin

Good morning Cassandra.

I guess one of mine and Bell Boy's secrets is that we do mix socially and aren't afraid to offer our own hospitality on the odd occasion.

We are certainly never anonymous when onboard.

Some people like to be anonymous.

The QE2 and most, if not all, ships of similar vintage had many small single cabins. I have travelled solo only once - QE2 in 1989 - and booked a small inside cabin (Mauretania dining) at a very reasonable cost. It was only slightly more than the pp double fare. There were over 100 inside cabins in Mauretania and a lot fewer outside cabins in all four restaurant categories.

My mother accompanied us on a few cruises on P&O's Canberra and was able to book an inside single at reasonable cost.

The recently added single staterooms on Cunard's ships are quite large and priced accordingly. Having too many small singles will limit flexibility (the traditional single cabin could not be used as a double if not booked as a single) but it would be great for solo travellers if modern ships had at least a few small single cabins.

The recently added single staterooms on Cunard's ships are quite large and priced accordingly. Having too many small singles will limit flexibility (the traditional single cabin could not be used as a double if not booked as a single) but it would be great for solo travellers if modern ships had at least a few small single cabins.

Actually as a solo traveler, I would not like a "small single cabin". I would not like a small room anywhere just because I am on my own. What as a solo passenger would seem fair to me is that a cruise line allows solo passengers to book the normal sized cabins and does not charge us more than 200%. And I would certainly prefer cruise lines which offer solo supplements lower than the 200%.

• 1 month later...

I'm a solo traveller and those supplements are a killer. I am also in Australia and the airfares are a shocker too. However some companies do great deals for solo travellers- Tauck don't charge a supplement on river cruises so long as you go on the lower deck (no balcony) and more and more ships are putting in solo cabins- you still seem to pay more but not 200% you just have to book really early, sometimes before even the cruise is scheduled. I wouldn't share for anything, having paid all that $ I wouldn't want my holiday ruined by a snorer, cougher, persistent throat clearer....... No bargains for us I'm afraid, but I choose my holidays based on destination. I spend little time in the room, so I don't need a balcony or suite.:cool:

Hi,

I think Cunard is a good line for singles. The 175% price for solo travelers is better than most lines. I have cruised aboard the QM2 twice during the past year as a solo traveler. For both cruises, I booked an inside stateroom and was upgraded to a new single ocean view stateroom. In September 2016, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 2 for a Canada/New England cruise. In April 2017, I was upgraded to one of the new single staterooms on Deck 3 for a World Cruise segment (Hong Kong to Singapore). The staterooms in both categories are beautiful and very conveniently located. The staterooms on Deck 2 have high ceilings and the staterooms on Deck 3 have two very large windows.

In my experience, Cunard passengers are very friendly. I have met many interesting people during my Cunard cruises.

Chuck

Gosh Chuck I wish I'd know that about QM2. I've book a single stateroom next April 21 days Dubai to Southampton, and I think the 2 windows would be much nicer that the picture window I'm getting on deck 5. :confused:

For a single travelling with a couple, it can be more cost effective and a nicer experience to book a QG suite. Instead of booking two separate Britannia staterooms (2 in the first stateroom and 1 in the second stateroom), I ended up booking a Q4 penthouse for not much more than the price of two regular balconies. The third person is priced at half the cost of the other two passengers. The overall price for QG ended up being approximately £900 more than booking in Britannia. Given the much higher quality I've experienced with Grills, it is worth it.

They are a cheaper cruiseline and they have an advantage that they don't have children at all. I went on a cruise up to the faroes with them on the Marco Polo last year and it was fine. My single cabin however, which cost the same as my two travel companions paid together in their twin room, was no more than a badly designed cupboard which could not have held anything other than a slender single bed. Happily it was only a week, and the ports of call made it worthwhile.

Have a look at this Cruise company , They get a good write up for solo cruisers ,cost is reasonable.

https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/on-board-experience/solo-cruisers.

They are a cheaper cruiseline and they have an advantage that they don't have children at all. I went on a cruise up to the faroes with them on the Marco Polo last year and it was fine. My single cabin however, which cost the same as my two travel companions paid together in their twin room, was no more than a badly designed cupboard which could not have held anything other than a slender single bed. Happily it was only a week, and the ports of call made it worthwhile.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

There is no comparison between Cunard and C&M whatsoever.