Trays in buffet restaurants

starbug

Usually go Grills and don't use the buffet, but I've seen, and been disgusted by, the gluttony and waste on other lines and - assuming those who need help get it - this seems a practice all lines should adopt.

Good morning Teddy.

I'm with you all the way there.

As an anecdotal aside, I once attended a lecture onboard, not Cunard, given by the ship's Environmental Officer.

When questioned about the withdrawal of trays he stated that since they were withdrawn daily food waste had been reduced by over a ton.

Perhaps another consideration would be that for some passengers, using a tray allows them transport their food to the table. Not everyone has the same functionality. "Kind of a pain to balance a plate and a glass at the same time" - that tells me you have no idea what kind of a pain it can be. Hopefully, you will never know. Happy sails. -S.

Another good reason to avoid buffets then.

Hi,

I've heard a rumour that there are no longer trays availbale to put your plate of food, side dish, drinks glass/cup/mug etc. on as you go around helping yourself to bring back to the table.

Is there anyone that can check if this is the case on each of the Queens please?

Thanks.

I did a transatlantic on QM2 in July 2016 and there were no trays then. I didn't find it a great problem I must admit.

Perhaps another reason for the removal of trays is a matter of ambience - to make the buffet seem less like a cafeteria. I have never been to a buffet on land that had trays, but all cafeterias do. I realise there is a fine line between a buffet and a cafeteria.

When they did the refit on QM2, they did not put in any of the railings that a cafeteria line has. Now you would have to hold the tray while you serve yourself.

It seems to me that if you have a self service facility you should make self service as easy as possible for the users. Take away the trays and things are more difficult, particularly for those of limited mobility. And if you rely on the buffet staff to do some of the service what's the point of having it at all.

David

It seems to me that if you have a self service facility you should make self service as easy as possible for the users. Take away the trays and things are more difficult, particularly for those of limited mobility. And if you rely on the buffet staff to do some of the service what's the point of having it at all.

David

Ah, and there we have the difference.

Seabourn, Hapag-Lloyd and Oceania all have 'buffets' but they also have the staff to assist.

Trays are there, just ask about them. We were on the QM2 in April and I used to come down from sunbathing aloft for afternoon tea to take back up. The first time I asked if there was an possibility of a tray.......the maître-d looked at me, smiled and queried if I was "picnicing?" I took the tray upstairs and made sure it went back to deck 7 when we'd finished.

I'm sure if you asked they would find one for your wife

Trays are there, just ask about them. We were on the QM2 in April and I used to come down from sunbathing aloft for afternoon tea to take back up. The first time I asked if there was an possibility of a tray.......the maître-d looked at me, smiled and queried if I was "picnicing?" I took the tray upstairs and made sure it went back to deck 7 when we'd finished.

I'm sure if you asked they would find one for your wife

The more I've thought about this more I like the idea of it being less cafeteria, but now you've mentioned it I do get stuff and take it back the cabin, so good news they still have a few trays.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk