This sounds dumb but have a specialty dining question

Petoonya

One extra point here:

If you are on an "extended journey" (I.e., 2 or more cruise segments marketed as a single cruise)., your cabin category gets twice (or thrice) the single segment reservation allowance.

Your "opening" reservation date is based on the first segment window and you must book each segment's allowable number of reservations for that segment.

Note that, in the past, there have been some website glitches that may require a telephone call to O to complete the total reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One extra point here:

If you are on an "extended journey" (I.e., 2 or more cruise segments marketed as a single cruise)., your cabin category gets twice (or thrice) the single segment reservation allowance.

Your "opening" reservation date is based on the first segment window and you must book each segment's allowable number of reservations for that segment.

Note that, in the past, there have been some website glitches that may require a telephone call to O to complete the total reservations.

This post is interesting and now I have a question.

I'll be on the 2019 RTW cruise and I just assumed that we'd get 2 reservations for it being over 18 days long. I figured that during the 161 days that we'll be sailing, we'll have plenty of opportunity to make more if we want. But this post would seem to indicate that we'll get 1 or 2 reservations for EACH segment of the RTW cruise - is that true? If so, will this option show up in My Account at the time that our reservations can be booked?

I'll be on the 2019 RTW cruise and I just assumed that we'd get 2 reservations for it being over 18 days long. I figured that during the 161 days that we'll be sailing, we'll have plenty of opportunity to make more if we want. But this post would seem to indicate that we'll get 1 or 2 reservations for EACH segment of the RTW cruise - is that true? If so, will this option show up in My Account at the time that our reservations can be booked?

Last night, I did our reservations for an upcoming "extended voyage" (two segments totaling about 3 weeks+). B3 on Marina. Normally, it would be 1 reservation in each of four restaurants for a single segment. But, because it is a "two segment" trip, the "dining reservation" main page showed availability of TWO reservations for each restaurant. Note that, in the past, you had to make sure to do only 4 in each segment (the website had a "button" to choose the segment). However, last night, there was no "button." Rather, the calendar for both segments was visible. I still scheduled 1 each of four restaurants per segment (total 8 reservations). So, I can't tell you if the segment limits would've given me an error message had I tried to put all eight in a single segment.

When I first started booking "extended journeys" on O, I did seek clarification by communicating with a manager there. Here is a quote from that e-mail:

"For our O class ships (Marina & Riviera) in a concierge level stateroom and below, you are allotted 1 reservation in each of the specialty restaurants prior to boarding. For grand voyages/extended voyages, guests will receive the allotted dining for each segment of the grand/extended voyage. In your case, your voyage is 24 days long and is comprised of two 12 day sailings so you are entitled to receive 4 more dining reservations, 1 in each restaurant."

From that note, I would assume that the same "per segment" number applies in your case (although the e-mail did not mention "RTW"). So, you should probably contact Oceania (if phone rep sounds in the least bit unsure, ask for a supervisor) for the definitive answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting question? For me it's been the opposite effect. The longer the cruise, the more and more I eat in the Terrace at dinner. 180 days and the Specialties may never change their menu even once. The GDR rotates their every couple of weeks. I'll be on the Nautical in a couple weeks for a 20 day cruise. In a PH, I get three reservations each in both of the Specialties. I might request one more while aboard in one of the restaurants, or not. I love the food on O, but on longer cruises, we find ourselves eating more and more larger local cuisine lunches, while ashore, and going very lite for dinner aboard ship. If I ever did a RTW the last thing I'd think of is how many Specialties reservations I could get after about Day 30!

If I ever did a RTW the last thing I'd think of is how many Specialties reservations I could get after about Day 30!

Well, we are thinking of them! :') Plus many other things.

Even on 14 day cruises we usually tire of the dining room routine (not necessarily the food) of sitting for 1.5-2 hrs for dinner. I'm sure that for 161 days we'll vary our meals alot, depending on the days activities. I like eating in the buffet when I just feel like eating and moving on to the evening plans - and the buffet food on O sounds great!

But since the specialty restaurants have quite a few offerings, we'll want to eat there too. So, my question was about how many reservations we will be entitled to. Thank you to

Flatbush Flyer for their answer!! :)

Maybe track down Cynthia (CBB) or someone that did a full RTW cruise they will know how it worked

I'm also new to Oceania and will be able to book specialty restaurants in a few weeks. What time of day does the reservation system open up? I'm in Pacific time --- and am trying to figure out if I log in to sign up at 12:00 a.m. on another time zone? Or, at what time? Thanks!

I'm also new to Oceania and will be able to book specialty restaurants in a few weeks. What time of day does the reservation system open up? I'm in Pacific time --- and am trying to figure out if I log in to sign up at 12:00 a.m. on another time zone? Or, at what time? Thanks!

12 am EST

Try beforehand too.You never know! Our cruise is in January and I was able to book them 7 months in advance.!

I logged in just after midnight EDT for our cruise. Not sure if it was the table size (requesting for 4 - our cabin plus husband/son's cabin) but we were already limited in times we could book for on the sea days. Or there are a lot of people who had higher status than us and could book a few days earlier. We are happy with what we got, and will check to see if we can add one more while on board.

I logged in just after midnight EDT for our cruise. Not sure if it was the table size (requesting for 4 - our cabin plus husband/son's cabin) but we were already limited in times we could book for on the sea days. Or there are a lot of people who had higher status than us and could book a few days earlier. We are happy with what we got, and will check to see if we can add one more while on board.

Yes I think table size can make a difference in timing

You can keep checking up to about a week prior to your cruise & see if other times open up

When you board you can always ask if they have a different time slot than you are confirmed for

What category are you in?

The reason I asked was to see how many people had been able to book Specialties in front of you, looks like all the suites, penthouses, and Concierge rooms had booked.

You're also competing with the rest of the rooms on the ship at that point. So unless you get in there at midnight the day they come open then you have to be creative and be willing to share to get the times you want. Especially on sea days.

Looking back at your post I see you went on at midnight. Perhaps it is the table for 4 that is an issue. Did you try sharing at other tables?

I have found that if you can't get the time/date you are hoping for at a table for two, switching to "share a table" offers more choices. We've divided up our reservations between "two" and "share" in order to take advantage of times we would prefer - it's usually fine to share a table - we've met many interesting people that way. .

I logged in just after midnight EDT for our cruise. Not sure if it was the table size (requesting for 4 - our cabin plus husband/son's cabin) but we were already limited in times we could book for on the sea days.

Have you tried calling O to see if they can get something for you ?

Often times people cancel reservations near the end of the cruise for one reason or another

just keep checking in with the reservation desk onboard

Have you tried calling O to see if they can get something for you ?

Often times people cancel reservations near the end of the cruise for one reason or another

just keep checking in with the reservation desk onboard

Whoops, meant to respond earlier (read this initially on my phone). We are satisfied with the reservations we have. When I made the reservations I could not simultaneously select invite guests/share table so I went ahead and chose port days for the early dinners versus sea days. Once we have a sense of when the shows we are most interested in seeing will be, we might try to change something around or add additional specialty nights. I enjoy watching the activity as the ship leaves port, so hopefully we can get seated near a window those 2 nights, otherwise, I'll cope.

I really enjoyed sharing and meeting new people on our last cruise. There were only 2 nights where we didn't mesh well with our dinner companions out of 12. It would not surprise me if there are nights that we become a party of three willing to share, versus a party of four willing to share, as I suspect Gus (16) will elect to eat a quick meal at the Terrace versus sit through a long meal with his parents and grandmother. Actually - the meal my crazy kid is most looking forward to is afternoon tea, go figure.

. Actually - the meal my crazy kid is most looking forward to is afternoon tea, go figure.

He is not so crazy - quite the opposite - he is very smart.

The afternoon teas on O are special - better than on any cruise line we've sailed on (including ALL the luxury lines save for Crystal , which we are yet to try).

We are on a cruise, which is longer than 18 nights. Ocean view cabin. Apparently we get 2 reservations for the whole cruise. Does it mean that after having made our reservation for the 2 nighrs, we will not be able to eat at the specialty restaurants any more? Or can we just see during the cruise if we can get more reservations?

We are on a cruise, which is longer than 18 nights. Ocean view cabin. Apparently we get 2 reservations for the whole cruise. Does it mean that after having made our reservation for the 2 nighrs, we will not be able to eat at the specialty restaurants any more? Or can we just see during the cruise if we can get more reservations?

Yes, you can....see this thread for further info (searched on a specialty restaurant):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2460888

• 1 month later...