AMASonata...Newbie to River Crusing - Christmas Week sailing

robertmartha

So I read these boards religiously (morning w/coffee - lunchtime and at night) and we have been fortunate to have sailed on Carnival, RC, HAL and Celebrity but at a point in our lives where the lure of a river cruise (port intensive - small ship - above average dining and inclusive wines) and a sailing in europe while our oldest is in grad school in Europe so she can meet us for the holidays...means that the Chritmas week sailing may fit the bill. So lots of general questions that I would welcome answers and opinions on. I feel prepared in terms of the ship and what to expect (versus an ocean sailing) - we are looking for a relaxing holiday with our 2 daughters we can can spend quality time together sightseeing and enjoying dinners and conversations..... but still have a few questions.....

I believe dress code in the evening is casual (country club casual) which suits us fine - but for men - would dark dress jeans with a long sleeve dress shirt and shoes (not sneakers) be acceptable in the diniing room (and I always wear a casual sport jacket at home so would prob bring one as well - never know when my other half is chilly and needs a jacket) :). Feel that is much more presentable then a pair of kackis and golf/collared polo shirt or sweater?

Christmas sailing (includ Christmas Eve and Day) - anticiapte both of those days will be extremely limited in terms of the cities we are in for both days days) - any feedback from others who have sailed that week? and what they did? Christmas mass in an old church/cathedrial I am sure would be beautiful but would think most cities are shut down - esp on Christmas?

Dinner I understand is open seating - since there will be four of us - are tables for 4 an option? and dinner is typically served between what times? Even though we are from the US - we tend to eat late which I think would work if we are out and about until 7-7:30ish until we reboard and freshen up for dinner at 8? even 8:30? I know on an ocean vessel that is "late seating" but on river sailings - how late is late?

Thank you in advance for your answers and advice .....

Lots of issues raised in your post:

above average dining and inclusive wines -- You are looking at a good choice with AMA for top quality food and wine.

Christmas week sailing -- I assume you are looking at the AmaSonata Christmas Markets on the Rhine itinerary sailing on December 23 from Basel to Amsterdam. Be aware that the Christmas Markets all close by Christmas Eve, and there will be holiday closings that affect your sightseeing during this week.

relaxing holiday with our 2 daughters -- You can have this if you want, but river cruise prices include 1-2 daily excursions in the fare and most people find the routine quite active and even exhausting.

dress code in the evening ... for men ... dress jeans -- Many river ships ban jeans, although they may not be au courant on chic 'dark dress jeans' -- safer to wear navy dockers -- the rest of your options are fine on any river ship [and a collared polo shirt is just fine, unless you find the dining room too cold]

Christmas Mass in an old church/cathedral I am sure would be beautiful -- Yes, provided the itinerary has you in the right place at the right time. Check with the Cruise Director when you board, because a special arrangement may be possible even if the regular excursions don't work for this.

Dinner ... open seating... tables for 4 ... what time -- On AMA [and most river ships] dinner is open seating, which means you are free to choose any table you want -- but one sitting, which means you are expected to arrive along with everybody else at the announced time. This will usually be immediately following the Cruise Director's presentation of the next day's activities [in the lounge] -- everybody then troops down the stairs to the dining room. You should have no trouble getting a table for 4 for your family -- particularly if you send a scout ahead to line up in at the door and claim it. Dinner is a drawn-out affair with several courses and freely-poured [included] wine -- so your hope of quality time together ... enjoying dinners and conversation will definitely work out.

There is also the issue of weather. It will be winter in Europe, which means cold, rainy/snowy, and as Yogi said "It gets late early there." But because you have the family focus [rather than shop-til-you-drop or sightsee until my feet stop working] this could be a really great experience!