Booking a cruise at the last minute

I know you all get those frequent brochures. A couple of days ago I noticed a cruise that I had skipped when looking on the site. It was small ports in the Med which I love--no container ship ports. It was irresistible.

There was a suite that was acceptable to us available and we booked it today--two days before the payment deadline. Good deal, good perks and a good price. Excellent ports in our opinion.

We wanted non-stop from LAX to Rome on Alitalia. I really wanted to pay the deviation through Regent, but there were only two seats left! I was too nervous to leave this to someone I didn't know and wanted those last two seats, so did the reservations through Amex Centurion. Then I tried to get a non-stop return flight and had to move my departure up three days to find an available flight.

What I am trying to say is, these promotional prices are great, but sometimes it isn't too easy to get flights!

We have to stay an extra three days in Venice, but we love it there.

Better grab the brass ring and book in advance...don't wait like I did--almost didn't make it!

Just a little friendly advice!

Especially for cruises in Europe. For us in the US, getting flights at the last minute which are reasonable as far as price or schedule is difficult. Would be much easier for a Caribbean or Alaska cruise.

Maybe someday!

We are Centurion members as well. AMEX Platium and Centurion offer two for one business or first class tickets on participating airlines fully refundable. I think Alaterror Airlines is in the program. To be honest we are not big fans of Alatalia or terror airlines. Emirates is our go to airline in first or business for most of our travels.

Caroldoll I agree with you about not delaying in booking. We couldn't decide what we wanted to do next spring and kept putting it off until this week. Long story short when we went to book for next April the cheapest cabin had gone up $1500 each from the rate stated in the bro here. And the cabins left were not good, no penthouses or above.

Lesson learned, hopefully!

Oh I sympathize with you on cabins. Fortunately no one wants to go to Europe (well, I thought). We were able to get a Voyager suite (I think that is what it is called) and were lucky because it has 1 1/2 baths. We do All Terror Airlines (that is funny) as that is the most convenient non-stop from LAX. We are getting to an age where non-stop is very very desirable. This cruise is almost all tender ports, therefore small places, not big cities. That works for us! Being stranded in Venice (maybe a little sketchy) for four days worked for me! LOL, wanted to get back to Italy one more time!

We had an excellent Alitalia flight from LAX to Rome two summers ago on a spur of the moment Med cruise. Their biz class was very nice.

The return on Lufthansa was more challenging.

Enjoy! BTW we share a December Explorer cruise.

You know, we used Alitalia about 3 years ago. I love their business configuration 1-2-1. It is more comfortable and wide than a lot of other airlines. I will go for Alitalia any time. Very few non-stops from LA to Rome, unbelievably. I am all right with it.

My husband wanted to return right after the cruise, but we had to wait, I think 4 days to get the flight...ohhhhh, boo hoo. I will be happy in Venice.

OMG, I JUST SAW the end of your post. Which Explorer cruise will you be on? We will be looking for you. Always in the Explorer Lounge before dinner.

Where is the equivalent of that on Voyager. I am sooooo looking forward to my favorite group, Natures Rhythm.

I'd never wait ti book. We booked are first cruise on Regent and was going to wait until on the ship to book the other cruise's for the discounts. We didn't wit and booked the other cruises, glad we did because the suites we want are all sold out with a few weeks after we booked. If we didn't book what we wanted when we did, it wouldn't have happened. So I guess I'm saying book what you want when you can, or you just maybe disappointed. Rick

I totally agree with Rick. Book at first. I had overlooked this itinerary and noticed it either on line or one of the advertisements at the last minute. We never do this, and probably will not again. I have never been in a Voyager suite, but it looks O.K. and the location looks good. We prefer Deck 8. Getting the flights we wanted was a trick, but all is good.

I'd never wait ti book. We booked are first cruise on Regent and was going to wait until on the ship to book the other cruise's for the discounts. We didn't wit and booked the other cruises, glad we did because the suites we want are all sold out with a few weeks after we booked. If we didn't book what we wanted when we did, it wouldn't have happened. So I guess I'm saying book what you want when you can, or you just maybe disappointed. Rick

I agree with you in theory but, for poor selling cruises, there are good suites available. The Alaska cruses in August were selling so poorly that we booked a few weeks ago at a great price (and got the suite that we wanted). We were not that interested in returning to Alaska but the price was right and Vancouver is only an hour from our home. So, there are some good deals at the last minute. OTOH, for people into excursions, you will likely be waitlisted when you book late (again, not the case with the Alaska cruise since it was fairly empty when we booked).

TC is right. However the cruise we booked was so undersold that there were tours available. We don't do them, but I looked. This cruise is all tender ports, so perhaps that was the reason it was undersold. We do not like the big container ports, so that was good for us.