Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I swear, one day Horton is going to come out with "words" instead of grunts and groans. I don't mind it at all when he does this, and I never correct him for it. I actually think it's really cute when he expresses himself with sounds.....He has a lot of important stuff to say, I'm quite sure!!!!! :)

Is Horton noisy? I swear Wex talks to us. I've never had a dog that is so vocal. No barking though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I swear, one day Horton is going to come out with "words" instead of grunts and groans. I don't mind it at all when he does this, and I never correct him for it. I actually think it's really cute when he expresses himself with sounds.....He has a lot of important stuff to say, I'm quite sure!!!!! :)

Is Horton noisy? I swear Wex talks to us. I've never had a dog that is so vocal. No barking though.

I love when he gives me his heavy sigh and noisy grunt when I go to put his scarf and leash on, which he knows means that we're going to work today! Or, he'll open his mouth really wide and out will come some plaintive whaling sound that I'm sure means, "leave me alone blondie!"

Horty doesn't bark, unless he's giving the poor stranger who's walking past my front door his warning announcement, "my Mom's in here and I DON'T SHARE WELL!"

I've learned so much from CCI trainers. I always pass the good training info. on to my children and their misbehaving dogs. My daughter has a Corgi that barks at caterpillar's!!!! So annoying!!!! :confused:

Thank you all for your advice. I have ordered the patches for his vest. I know Saxon is adorable but he is just in his 4th week of training. He already has to deal with all new things and it is frustrating when people interrupt our training. Yesterday I actually had someone try to tell him to sit! Roz, you are right, I honestly didn't think anyone would do that. LOL. This lady told me that service dogs should sit the instant I stop walking. I tried to explain that he cannot sit bc if I begin to fall, how can he brace against me if he is sitting? She then told me he wasn't a REAL service dog since everyone knows those dogs know when to sit.

Wow, good to know! LOL. Yes, he is a REAL service dog. Yes, he is still a "little" puppy. Ok, so he weighs 60lbs already. He is still little. LOL. I know Saxon isn't perfect and will still be nervous or scared at times. But that doesn't mean he isn't a real service dog!

Oh, one other thing, I'm so glad to know your dogs sigh and groan too. Saxon is very vocal, not barking, but he makes all kinds of noises. Glad he isn't alone! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is terrible!

Scooter doesn't sit the moment we stop. I have not taught him to!

Sometimes it is not appropriate.

What he DOES do really, really well is let me know when to get spot. It lets me drive safely again!

I do have a couple of colleagues who can't resist greeting him and sticking their hands down for a lick, but we are finally getting that habit broken with most of them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I haven't had anyone try to give Halo commands yet. Thank goodness. If he sat as soon as we stopped, I would probably be on the ground. People can be so rude.

I also haven't had anyone verbally say anything negative, out loud. I have had negative looks, I just smile and keep doing my stuff.

I do have people just want to pet him. I have to tell them he is working. Some people say sorry, some glare.

Boise, Idaho area seems to be pretty knowledgeable about service dogs. We haven't traveled with him a lot, yet. So it is good to hear about other experiences to be prepared.

Linda and Halo

A week from today my son and daughter-in-law will be bringing home my first grandson. We are so excited to meet him. Going down to stay for a day or two. f88063638e6da49b0b5a5a9f0b1f0702.jpg

Puppy! So cute! I went to a CCI event over the weekend where they were handing out puppies to puppy raisers - I wanted to take them all home with me.

Dianne

Princess cruises is running their "Sip & Sail" packages now........These are my very favorite cruises. You get ALL premium drinks/coffee/bottled water included [and, as you well know on a 10 day cruise this can get very expensive], this special includes some specialty dining too. Love it!!!!!! I booked a cruise onboard the Star Princess for February, 2019.

And, the cabin I wanted was already taken.......WHAAAAT!!!! You just can't book too early sometimes!!!!

I love the Mini-Suites because they have bath tubs, an extra sitting room with a couch [for Horty's bed], and extended balconies. Obviously, I'm not alone in my thinking. I booked a cabin right next door-Still a Mini, just not an end one! :)

I forgot to mention where we're going.......The Sea of Cortez, out of L.A. Horton will just be turning 10 years old, in 2019. I hope he's doing well and will enjoy it as much as he's enjoying cruising right now. He does like his "down" time and if I go back to the cabin during the day, he will take a nap. I don't mind, as napping is so much more fun whilest onboard a floating hotel!!!

I try to be mindful of the weather.....February in Mexico can be the beginning of their hot season......we may be staying onboard more than venturing out.....

I forgot to mention where we're going.......The Sea of Cortez, out of L.A. Horton will just be turning 10 years old, in 2019. I hope he's doing well and will enjoy it as much as he's enjoying cruising right now. He does like his "down" time and if I go back to the cabin during the day, he will take a nap. I don't mind, as napping is so much more fun whilest onboard a floating hotel!!!

I try to be mindful of the weather.....February in Mexico can be the beginning of their hot season......we may be staying onboard more than venturing out.....

Wexler will be 10 next month. We will be cruising on January. Of course we assume he will be fine to go. Wexler also likes his nap during the day. We have to go back to the cabin everyday so he can nap.

We also have the drink package on our cruise. It's especially good for the kids, since they drink alot more than us. We also have 3 free specialty dinners. And the price of the cabin is slightly less than last year.

Wexler will be 10 next month. We will be cruising on January. Of course we assume he will be fine to go. Wexler also likes his nap during the day. We have to go back to the cabin everyday so he can nap.

We also have the drink package on our cruise. It's especially good for the kids, since they drink alot more than us. We also have 3 free specialty dinners. And the price of the cabin is slightly less than last year.

Such a smart girl!

Cruising can get very expensive, it's so wise to look for as many deals as you can get. It's easy for the cruise lines to pass these savings on to us.......and, it certainly entices me to book a cruise when it's all inclusive!

I know that every dog hits his "prime" at different ages. Brenda let me know that she was basically "done" at around 10 but she was a smaller lab and couldn't get into my car as easily, hated walking on shiny, slippery floors [she'd stop at the entrance to the super market, because of the flooring] and really "shut down" early in the evening by laying down wherever we were and going into deep sleeps.

Brenda worked through her 11th year and then I notified CCI and got put on the waiting list for a Successor Dog. This was a very difficult decision for me because she had become a huge "go-to" resource for me.

I look back now and realize how wise my decision was to allow her [and Morey] to have much needed time together before they both passed! Oh! Boy! That was tough to write!!!!!

Happy Weekend everyone ♥

:loudcry:Hugs Roz, it is tough for us to read. My eyes are leaky. I cannot believe Horty and Wexy are going on 10 years old!

I just saw Princess is advertising those awesome Sip and Sale cruises. My hubby's friend was over the other day and mentioned we should all take a cruise. Well you all know my hand was up and I was on the computer in a flash. We either want to cruise the Panama Canal or Alaska. I am leaning towards the Canal. It is actually cheaper and longer than Alaska. We haven't cruised in about 11 years. :eek: Having Travis and him being in school, summer is only time available. Of course the prices are doubled! Anyway, now that he is 14, he really doesn't want to go. My sister will come stay with him and take care of Leann Emily and Jezzy Lou. I am crossing my fingers and still checking on best possible fit. We are trying to get cabins together. We will see. I am beyond, pee my pants excited! :o:ship::tropical-drink: I could go on......

:loudcry:Hugs Roz, it is tough for us to read. My eyes are leaky. I cannot believe Horty and Wexy are going on 10 years old!

I just saw Princess is advertising those awesome Sip and Sale cruises. My hubby's friend was over the other day and mentioned we should all take a cruise. Well you all know my hand was up and I was on the computer in a flash. We either want to cruise the Panama Canal or Alaska. I am leaning towards the Canal. It is actually cheaper and longer than Alaska. We haven't cruised in about 11 years. :eek: Having Travis and him being in school, summer is only time available. Of course the prices are doubled! Anyway, now that he is 14, he really doesn't want to go. My sister will come stay with him and take care of Leann Emily and Jezzy Lou. I am crossing my fingers and still checking on best possible fit. We are trying to get cabins together. We will see. I am beyond, pee my pants excited! :o:ship::tropical-drink: I could go on......

You are so dear, thank you ♥

Horton, just turned 8 years......stop aging him. Wexy is our senior citizen, right now! When I take the cruise in 2019, he'll be turning 10 shortly thereafter.

Nancy, although I loved our Panama Canal cruise it was literally unbearable to go outside on some days, it was so hot and humid and that was November.

You find yourself taking two showers a day and staying inside the ship for breathable air!!!!

If you don't mind hot/humid you will love the trip. We were onboard the Island Princess in one of their new Promenade Deck cabins and the view of the Canal was spectacular.

We did Alaska at the end of the season in September and aside from windy weather in Ketchikan it was sunny and cool and wonderful. We got very lucky.

Whatever you decide I'm so excited for you. Let us know where and when!

I got choked up too Roz. Sometimes the memories are tough to take. Morey and Brenda had some precious time together.

Nancy pants cruising again? How exciting!!! And I can't believe Travis is 14 years old!! Where did the time go. Geez I feel old now. ☹️

I got choked up too Roz. Sometimes the memories are tough to take. Morey and Brenda had some precious time together.

Nancy pants cruising again? How exciting!!! And I can't believe Travis is 14 years old!! Where did the time go. Geez I feel old now. ☹️

Cindy, honestly, I truly believe that it was Brenda who brought the most joy to Morey in the end. They would stare into each other's eyes and the love would just seep from one to another.

I will be forever grateful to CCI for bringing these dogs into our lives. I couldn't love a being more than I love my Horty!!!!

One of these days we will jump over to Princess and join you on one of these cruises.

We make time for naps for Henri too and she is only four. I say that traveling with a service dog takes me back to the days of traveling with my kids: we need nap time, regular meal times and have to be careful not to have her out in the hot weather too long. Not to mention the suitcase full of her things that I bring.

Dianne

I just saw Princess is advertising those awesome Sip and Sale cruises. My hubby's friend was over the other day and mentioned we should all take a cruise. Well you all know my hand was up and I was on the computer in a flash. We either want to cruise the Panama Canal or Alaska. I am leaning towards the Canal.

We went on a Panama Canal cruise last October, you will love it. Such a fascinating piece of history. Roz is right, I think no matter what time of year you go it will be hot!!

Dianne

Cindy, honestly, I truly believe that it was Brenda who brought the most joy to Morey in the end. They would stare into each other's eyes and the love would just seep from one to another.

I will be forever grateful to CCI for bringing these dogs into our lives. I couldn't love a being more than I love my Horty!!!!

So true Roz.

Dianne

We make time for naps for Henri too and she is only four. I say that traveling with a service dog takes me back to the days of traveling with my kids: we need nap time, regular meal times and have to be careful not to have her out in the hot weather too long. Not to mention the suitcase full of her things that I bring.

Dianne

Isn't that the truth! On days when Scooter and I go from meeting to meeting to meeting, sometimes involving crossing campus 4 or 5 times, he just crashes in the office. One day, he didn't even open his eyes when I grabbed my stuff to leave.

I'm not sure when he'll do a cruise with us. His training has been going awesome, but in a cruise I feel he needs his total A-Game. Plus, we always do the Caribbean in February.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks, Cindy. That was my thought as well. I think Hunter would be thoroughly confused if I went off and left him for two weeks at this point. We've been getting out and about and are getting comfortable working together in public. Still nervous about the trip, but might as well jump in and see how it goes. Have to do it sometime. :D

Val

Val, Welcome! I'm sure you and your new pup will be fine on the cruise. You two are just getting to know each other and it would be a shame to leave the dog for 2 weeks. I'm sure you will have a great time!

Cindy

Thank you so much, Roz.

Reading the stories here make me feel better about the trip. I need to remind myself that no matter how well trained, Hunter is still a dog, and I will have to deal with people's attitudes. It will be a steep learning curve for us both, but my husband will be along to act as a buffer of a sort, and we'll just have to figure it out as we go.

I like the idea of having the box on our balcony, it would solve some issues. Hopefully the crew is willing to accommodate that request.

Val

Oh! My! What did you all do, wait until MaMa goes away and then come onboard!!!!! WELCOME! To all of you.

I'm so glad that you've come by and that you're going to try cruising with your dogs.

There's just NO WAY to STOP the people who insist on touching your dog from doing it. The best thing you can do is to stop walking; stay calm; ask them to wait until you've given your dog a proper command and then they may commence with the loving. Then ask them to please stop touching, talking or making eye contact with your dog so that you may resume your walk.

I know that the curiosity factor just overwhelms the public [especially the children] so much that they can't hold back. But, if they would just realize how much they might be putting you and your dog in danger maybe they'd STOP and THINK first! [Although, I highly doubt it! ;p]

We can only teach them, one at a time.

I had an amazing road trip with my Grandchildren [over 2200 miles] and my Granddaughter was so beautiful, I teared-up more than a few times. She's just such a lovely child, with such a promising future.....I wish Morey could have seen the moment when she accepted her diploma.......don't we all live for just these moments! And, my car performed like a gem.........Thank you to all who helped me with that decision!

Horton was his usual professional self and even with all the blasting horns and screams he held himself together. There was a point when I thought for sure he was going to crawl upon my lap, but, he just gave me a "Mommy make them stop" look and down he layed.

The weather in Eugene, Oregon was around 48degrees and rainy. We came home to 98degrees and a sweltering heat wave. Horty did get a bit sick yesterday and I let him just rest in the air conditioned house as long as he wanted. We really went from one extreme to another.

Again, welcome everyone......I love the pictures of Yardley and Saxon.

Val, it is scary going on your first cruise with your Service Dog. Remember, to give yourself lots and lots of time going from one venue to another. People will want to ask lots of questions. Be ready to be a great ambassador for all of us. Go to the Hotel Managers [Purser's] Desk, upon entering the ship to find out where the potty box has been placed. If you have a veranda, ask them to move to there [if you'd like.]

Make sure that you place your dog against a wall or pillar when your dining so that no one steps on him/her [the thing that scares SD's the most is being stepped on], it can make them shy if done too often. When you go into a dark lounge or theatre place yourself in a spot where other passengers won't be walking near your dog [they're not expecting to have a dog laying on the floor.] I find a seat near an end of a row and lay him down against a wall and make sure that no one has to step over him, ever!!!!

If you pre-think where you're going to sit and where your dog is going to lay, it just makes everything so much easier. And, it soon becomes a dance!

If you get into an elevator and someone balks about your dog, ignore them, or, just get off and wait for another elevator. Try NOT to get into any confrontations with anyone about your dog, just walk away. There's really nothing you can do about folks who don't like dogs, or who say they're allergic or who just want to argue.

Enjoy your cruise, your way, and I promise if you keep a smile on your face and keep moving forward.......you'll have a wonderful time!!!!! :D