Halifax excursions July QM2 trip

carolina-cruiser

By the way about July weather. Our September days in Halifax were sunny or a bit rainy. Our July's visit was so foggy you could hardly see anything :) . It was not only in Halifax, but all the way from Boston. Ship had to use a horn every 10 minutes for safety reasons.

By the way about July weather. Our September days in Halifax were sunny or a bit rainy. Our July's visit was so foggy you could hardly see anything :) . It was not only in Halifax, but all the way from Boston. Ship had to use a horn every 10 minutes for safety reasons.

Hi Tatka. July weather - our experience mirrors yours on at least three occasions. We were happy that we didn't sign up for tours because the weather was so bad you couldn't see the hand in front of your face.

To those who haven't pre-booked a tour: No worries, just hop in a cab at the port and the very skilled taxi drivers will navigate the fog and rain and take you where you want to go and bring you back to the ship in time. I have a very high opinion of the taxi drivers in Halifax, skilled in driving as well as the history of Halifax. (Please let me know if your experience was sub-par. Thanks, -S)

The port authority shows the QM2 at Pier 22 on the 10th of August from 09:00 to 18:00.

Thanks. That will be plenty of time to do a bit of sightseeing and get back on board in good time (we always have late dining although my dad said he will book the Veranda for us all that night as it is his birhday).

• 1 month later...

We had a lovely time in Halifax in July, 2015. It was around 75 degrees F and sunny. We did not find it necessary to book an excursion. Halifax is a very walkable city. Right next to the port is the indoor farmer's market and a great boardwalk area with shops and food kiosks (try a bear claw!) We also walked to the citadel and explored that area, roamed through the Victorian gardens (my favorite part of Halifax) and visited the Halifax public library, which is a brand new and gorgeous piece of sustainable architecture. Happy sailing!

We had a lovely time in Halifax in July, 2015. It was around 75 degrees F and sunny. We did not find it necessary to book an excursion. Halifax is a very walkable city. Right next to the port is the indoor farmer's market and a great boardwalk area with shops and food kiosks (try a bear claw!) We also walked to the citadel and explored that area, roamed through the Victorian gardens (my favorite part of Halifax) and visited the Halifax public library, which is a brand new and gorgeous piece of sustainable architecture. Happy sailing!

Bear claw? Are you sure you don't mean beaver tail?

I agree that Halifax is easy to see on your own. We did take an excursion to Lunenberg on our last visit, but we had been to Halifax so many times recently that we decided to explore farther away. But for anyone who's there for a first or second visit, I'd recommend seeing something in Halifax--Maritime museum, Immigration Museum, a stop at a Tim's, lobster roll on the boardwalk. We took a taxi to the Citadel one time, and then walked to the gardens (yes, they're wonderful!) and strolled back to the ship. And don't forget a stop to see Samuel Cunard's statue near the farm market. Also check out the "green roof" of the farm market.

For those who have been on the NY-Halifax trip in July, I have a few questions. Is it necessary to book an excursion, or can one walk from the QM2's berth to shops, etc. in Halifax? What is the weather generally like in July in Halifax? Any other info/tips on the Halifax leg of this trip is also appreciated.

Good morning Carolina.

Right on cue, here is a fully illustrated review of my July call to Halifax on Queen Mary 2. Just follow the link..

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/09/11/one-way-to-do-halifax-nova-scotia-second-edition/

20409611943_ac3b3aa42f_z.jpg