"If only I'd brought..."

le4ne

Now they are asking you to not hang it on the door. Apperently damages the upper molding. But to hang I in the closet.

I personally would just hang it on a heavy duty magnet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it depends on the cruise line. Some are less strict than others. It's easy to prevent the hooks from causing damage. Just wrap some duct tape around the hooks before hanging.

@Ginger

Over the door hooks will probably not fit over the (bathroom) door but will hang loosely on the closet doors. I take two single hook plastic ones so wet raincoats don't have to go inside the closet.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Forums mobile app

Thanks! This next trip we're in a 2 bed/2 bath suite, so I'm thinking we'll have fewer storage issues but I definitely want to bring along some hooks of some sort. They're small and easy to pack.

Many thanks everyone for the advice. I would probably have wildly over-packed but I feel re-assured by everyone's advice and comments.

Whilst I'm usually prepared for most things and plan well... when packing for vacations I always manage to miss something!

Usually it is something fairly essential like a hairbrush, no idea why! So if you're on the Arcadia going to Norway in 9 days time and see someone wandering around for the first few hours with terrible hair... that'll be me!

Sent from a mobile device... yep, I could be anywhere right now!

Many thanks everyone for the advice. I would probably have wildly over-packed but I feel re-assured by everyone's advice and comments.

Whilst I'm usually prepared for most things and plan well... when packing for vacations I always manage to miss something!

Usually it is something fairly essential like a hairbrush, no idea why! So if you're on the Arcadia going to Norway in 9 days time and see someone wandering around for the first few hours with terrible hair... that'll be me!

You're on Arcadia, so no need for a thermal mug- kettle, coffee, teabags etc in your cabin, along with biscuits and sweets- not forgetting the nightly chocolate on your pillow- please remove before sleeping. :')

Things I've forgotten- yes, a hairbrush (bought one in the on board shop); deodorant, left in hotel room- again, bought on board; spare pair of specs, which I needed when the arm broke off... and a week's supply of socks which I found still on the bed back home..

You can buy a fridge magnet of the ship on board for holding up your excursion tickets etc on the wall... that will bring back memories when you reach into the fridge.

Unless you're in an inside cabin, you'll not need much light to get to the shower room, as Norway is virtually 24 hours day light at the mo... Have a wonderful time! :):)

A question to all you experienced cruisers out there...

What one thing do you always ensure you pack?

You've got your documents, tickets, passport, camera, sun cream, night cream, stuffed toy, valium, clown-repellant, superhero underwear, a map of Bulgaria (even though you're not going there but it was in the glove box so you packed it just in case), shoes, and all the clothing you'll need...

What is that little item that you take that has proven useful that you'd wished you'd thought of taking with you when you were new to cruising?

I've heard some people mention they must have magnets... is there any other cruise hacks you can share?

Thanks,

Leane

We always have a balcony so I enjoy bringing a small pair of binoculars that we keep out on the table outside. Also, can't forget our Bluetooth speakers to enjoy some great music in the cabin.

Some people like to use a printed packing list, making it less likely to forget something. I, on the other hand, prefer to group related items together before packing. Suit with dress shirt, neck tie, dress shoes. Swimming trunks with sandals, sun block. Chargers with electronic items. And so forth. By actually seeing the items, I'm less likely to over pack, and less likely to forget something.

I'd be willing to bet that 99 out of 100 first-time cruisers over pack and bring stuff they really don't need and never use. I know we did.
Yes, aside from OTC meds /first aid and ample sunscreen, most of what's mentioned here is just more-for-the-sake-of-more.

"If only I'd brought..."

less!

Best answer on this thread.

Seriously, we're preparing for a two-week back-to-back, and here's my actual list:

- For me, 33 items of carefully chosen clothing + underwear and 4 pairs of shoes and a small clutch for dinner (yes, this includes dinner items, wraps, etc.)

- For him, 40 items of carefully chosen clothing + underwear and 3 pairs of shoes

- Scrubba wash bag

- Small organizer with tickets and other legalities, money, itinerary

- Reading materials, music, needlework, a puzzle, a puzzle book, writing materials, iPad loaded with a number of movies we want to watch together on the balcony

- Camera and extra batteries

- First-aid kit & OTC meds

- Toiletries, including lots of sunscreen

- Glow sticks (we like them better than battery-powered candles)

- Bandanas (we're doing an ATV ride and don't want to wear helmets without bandanas on our heads)

- Snorkeling equipment

- Each of us'll have one modest-sized rolling suitcase

- My carry-on: A tote bag for the beach

- His carry-on: A backpack good for island stops

Edited by MrsPete

Take a few safety pins and a few needles and thread. Instead of pretty but heavy cosmetic cases, pack everything in quart ziplock bags. One for make-up, one for medicines, one for teeth stuff, one for shower items, etc. Easy to see. Take a few extra large bags for wet items.

A hi=liter for the ship dailies.

One bathing suit; so what if it's damp when you put it on. A small notebook and pen for names, addresses, notes,etc

And a thermal mug for coffee or drinks. Those cocktails get warm fast on a hot day.

Comfortable shoes. No heels; they catch on uneven sidewalks, no good on rolling decks. And keep in mind that no one really cares what you're wearing!

Take a few safety pins and a few needles and thread. Instead of pretty but heavy cosmetic cases, pack everything in quart ziplock bags. One for make-up, one for medicines, one for teeth stuff, one for shower items, etc. Easy to see. Take a few extra large bags for wet items.

A hi=liter for the ship dailies.

One bathing suit; so what if it's damp when you put it on. A small notebook and pen for names, addresses, notes,etc

And a thermal mug for coffee or drinks. Those cocktails get warm fast on a hot day.

Comfortable shoes. No heels; they catch on uneven sidewalks, no good on rolling decks. And keep in mind that no one really cares what you're wearing!

To add to this, if you're sailing Carnival then you won't need a highlighter because all ships have The Hub app which you can choose your itinerary directly on the app. Also the notebook and pens you would just put that information in your phone as well.

Just to add: there's an indoor pool, and you might be lucky with the weather to use the outdoor pool, as it can get warm in Norway due to 24 hours of daylight. But still take wind and wet wear...

You do know that there's 2 formal evenings a week? People do dress up for this, and after 6pm there will be areas of the ship where you'll have to be formally dressed. If you don't feel like it, you can eat in the buffet, and probably the Glass House.

Also- there's free launderettes with irons, so it's worth while taking a few washing tablets, just in case!

And... did you know that you can take a reasonable amount of alcohol on board? Nothing silly, like crates of ale, but some do take wine and perhaps gin. The prices on board are pub prices, though, so we don't usually bother to take any. Don't rely on buying some in rich Norway- eye popping prices! :)

Nearly time now- Enjoy!

Definitely a battery operated night light and a card maybe a thick rewards card from a store to keep the electricity going when I just step out the room for few minutes. On the breakaway you have to insert your sail and sign card in a slot next to the wall in the room to keep the electricity on. Good to save electricity when not in room though.

I second the Duct Tape idea. Our wheel came off of the corner of one of the suitcases. My darling husband was able to duct tape the plastic corner which held the wheel. Looked tacky (we didn't care), but it worked and we were able to roll the suitcase through Venice and Airport. Much better than lugging a 50 pounder around for half the day! :-)

Cough drops and Chapstick... I always bring a baggy of halls and 2 or 3 things of chapstick.

I also always think to bring my own snorkel gear and almost continuously forget to pack it. But honestly, in my last three sailings I didn't even go swimming in the ocean anyways so...

• 3 weeks later...

Best advice I have found for packing is to make a list based on your own individual needs, including some tips from seasoned cruisers (like sanitizing wipes, air freshener, etc). When you get back from your cruise, take that same list and add the things you forgot and omit the things you brought but didn't need. Use THAT list for your next cruise. By your 3rd cruise, your luggage will just about pack itself!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only sailed on Carnival. They have nice pieces of fruit at the breakfast and lunch buffet; whole apples, oranges, big pieces of melon. I really enjoy a sliced apple or orange, but don't like to eat them whole (kinda drippy and messy). I always forget to pack a little sharp knife. Trying to slice an apple or peel an orange (or even cut the melon up a little smaller) is awkward, to say the least, with a butter knife. I'm hoping to remember my sharp knife next cruise.

Along the lines of bring less, when I land travel, its have a credit card and buy what I forgot / need, that may not work on a cruise unless what you miss is in the store or on the shore.

I forgot extra cash on my cruise (had enough ) and on Catalina all the ATM's were out of order and I wasn't going to pay the 6% fee onboard for cash.

Why can it not have a surge protector?

Don't forget a power strip. Cannot have a surge protector. Just a normal strip. There is only 1 place with two plugs in the whole cabin.

Why can it not have a surge protector?

Electricity on the ship is not like at home. There is an explanation on these boards from ChengKP where "cheng" stands for Chief Engineer -- an expert on ships' details! I can't tell you those details (they went over my head), but suffice to say, a device with a surge protector can start a fire. The fire can be anywhere "upstream" of your outlet, not necessarily in your room, so thinking "I'll only use it when I'm in the room" doesn't protect anyone... and besides, have you ever seen how fast a fire can consume a hotel room? Google it.

Also having used something surge protected aboard a ship in the past is no reassurance about the future because it is hit or miss... you wouldn't want to be the "hit"!