beginner Board/Embark Question please

CTOM

So our cruise departs from Whittier, Alaska, on Princess at 8:30 on a Sunday night. First time cruiser here, wondering about what time boarding might open.

We'd like to go from Anchorage to Whittier the day before and spend the night at a Whittier hotel, just so we can avoid all the people coming in from Anchorage on the day of. We hear those shuttle buses can be crowded and overwhelming. So we'll be in Whittier already, and can board as soon as it opens.

And I understand that we can check in, but the room won't be ready? So the options are to wheel our luggage around for a few hours (a small, carryon wheeled suitcase, so it's not a problem at all to keep with us), or drop them off and they'll be sent to our room later? Personally, I prefer to just wheel it around so it doesn't get lost, even if I have to wheel it into someplace while we eat/wait for our room. Is this allowed, or do they REQUIRE you to check small wheeled bags?

Thanks for any tips, or feel free to send me to the proper forum if I'm in the wrong area. We appreciate the help. Such an informative web site so far!

Princess has the cabins ready sooner than most. Don't lug ALL your stuff yourself. Give the big stuff to the porters, and let them deliver to you. Only keep what you need for the next couple hours...and keep ALL your valuables...money, electronics, Rx's, etc..... NEVER, EVER check those items!

I suggest you go over to the Alaska board here, under Ports of Call. Ask about hotels in Whittier. It is a very small town with very limited lodging and dining. Also, how are you planning to get there? Check in will probably start about 11am although you can probably drop off your checked bags sooner. They will not begin boarding until the cabins are ready. EM

We took the Princess shuttle from our hotel in Anchorage. I think we got to the ship about 12:30pm. our cabin was ready when we boarded.

Thank you. So arriving at 12:30 is plenty of time for the 8:30 departure. Perhaps taking the Princess Shuttle is the way to go after all, and we won't need to spend the previous night in Whittier.

If your wheeled bag will fit through the scanners at the airport, it will fit through the very similar scanners at the pier, so you can keep it with you. If it doesn't fit through, you'll need to give it to the porters at the pier. Enjoy your first cruise - Princess through Alaska is spectacular.