Medicine

Maggiemay6

Good morning! Could someone please tell me if we're allowed to bring in non prescription medicine like Tylenol, Excedrine, Benadryl, and Midol things like that? And if so should they be new unopened bottles? I'm thinking for safety reasons they might make them be new ones. I often get headaches and my you never know when you might need anything else. I'm traveling with my children so I like to keep Tylenol or Ibuprofen with me. Oh and we're cruising on the Carnival Pride. Thank you in advance!!

Have a great day:)

Good morning! Could someone please tell me if we're allowed to bring in non prescription medicine like Tylenol, Excedrine, Benadryl, and Midol things like that? And if so should they be new unopened bottles? I'm thinking for safety reasons they might make them be new ones. I often get headaches and my you never know when you might need anything else. I'm traveling with my children so I like to keep Tylenol or Ibuprofen with me. Oh and we're cruising on the Carnival Pride. Thank you in advance!!

Have a great day:)

There's many many many threads regarding OTC and Rx meds here on CC. Sadly, a significant amount of it is erroneous (except, for example, when someone offers a link to the TSA and/or CBP or their international equivalent websites).

Google is your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Make sure you take pepto bismol chews plus whatever available to quell vomiting

Your kids may well overeat and eat stuff their stomach can't handle

You really dont want to risk the ships doc saying quarantine in case its noro when in fact it's not

Of course a doc should know the difference but if she/he has seen even 1 or 2 cases...which is normal...geez...20 cases is probably normal on a mega ship regularly...

And decides to err on the side of caution or overreact...take your pick lol...you don't want to miss your cruise for their mistake

And no I'm not advocating hiding a noro case....I'm advocating not rushing to the doc if the kid pukes his or her chateaubriand. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband has two pill things with the days of the week on each separate "box".

He puts each days medicine in each one - med for Monday, then Tuesday, etc. (He only fills both for longer cruises.) Never had a problem taking them on board- and we are cruise-a-holics!

I always take any over the counter medicines that I think I might need, including Tylenol, ibuprofen, sea-sickness medicine, nasal decongestant, allergy medicine, cough suppressant, Pepto-bismol and Imodium. Check labels before giving anything to kids - regular Pepto contains aspirin and shouldn't be given to kids under 16 and Imodium generally isn't recommended for kids.

I also take first aid stuff like Band Aids and antibiotic ointment and anti-itch cream. You never know when you might need it.

Absolutely no problem with OTC medicines and/or vitamins, sealed or open (even packed in little baggies), on any ship we've been on (or airplanes either for that matter). We learned the hard way to take a complete 'mini-pharmacy' with us due to the lack of specific products and the prices on the ship and in foreign countries. There's not even a problem on ships with prescription drugs (except for marijuana!). There can be an issue with some restricted prescription meds when going through customs in some countries, so check the appropriate country's official website for information if there's any doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes as others said you can bring them on board.

You can keep them in the containers or in other things such as plastic bags.

There are a few places that have restrictions so if your cruise is starting or ending outside the USA know the rules.

Keith

We keep all prescription medications in their original containers and keep them in a medical bag in my carry-on.

We also take along Tylenol, Aleve, etc. in their original bottles. Most ships do carry these products in their shops, but they are more expensive that what you may pay at home.

We have no choice but to fly and a few times over the years TSA agents have opened the medical bag and looked at the bottles -- thus the reason we keep everything in their original bottles.