Dress Question

madaroch

No need to worry. Late seating passengers need to get to their cabins. Personally, we're usually in the Commodore Club finishing our (maybe) last cocktail from the Friends of Dorothy get-together at 5:00. While we're not in line with the code at the stroke of 6, all is good. By 7:30 or so, most people are in costume. (..."costume" said mildly in jest. Since it's Pride weekend in SF, I could've just as easily have said "drag")

How does one get back to their room if you are in the Spa after 6:00 pm. Who are we going to offend getting back to our room to dress for 8:00 dinner.
You'll offend no-one.

In my experience a few people can be seen in the cabin corridors (and outside decks) in day-time casual in the evenings. There aren't many as most are in their cabins, at dinner or in the various lounges/bars/theatre etc. The evening dress-code applies to (almost) all public rooms. Relax and enjoy your spa visit.

How does one get back to their room if you are in the Spa after 6:00 pm. Who are we going to offend getting back to our room to dress for 8:00 dinner.

The least embarrassing routes will include descending stairs near spa and transferring forward to aft along a passenger cabins deck corridor/s. I should avoid the main atrium areas where large numbers of people assemble at this time. You then encounter the fewest people.

Regards John

Doesn't the Spa close at 5?

David.

Doesn't the Spa close at 5?

David.

From the Cunard website

Opening Hours

Queen Mary 2

Fitness Centre Hours: 06:00 - 20:00

Treatment Centre Hours: 08:00 - 20:00

Aqua Therapy Centre Hours: 08:00 - 20:00

Embarkation day: 12:00 - 20:00

Queen Elizabeth & Queen Victoria

8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Sea Days

8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Port Days

As other posters have said "no one". This type of question is often asked from time to time, the answer is ,Common Sense Prevails.

There many guests (including myself) who, at the end of the day will visit the spa facilities between 4pm-7pm prior to dressing for the evening ( particularly for formal evenings). The evening dress codes principally apply to main public venues e.g. Cocktail Bars,Restaurants ,Ball Room and Theatre ( although there are some who may disagree with the last one)

Walking back to one's cabin ( after 6pm) from the Pool Area, Spa ,Computer room or an add hock visit to the Purser's desk is when common sense kicks in. You'll offend no one, take no notice just continue on your way ;)

As other posters have said "no one". This type of question is often asked from time to time, the answer is ,Common Sense Prevails. There many guests (including myself) who, at the end of the day will visit the spa facilities between 4pm-7pm prior to dressing for the evening ( particularly for formal evenings). The evening dress codes principally apply to main public venues e.g. Cocktail Bars,Restaurants ,Ball Room and Theatre ( although there are some who may disagree with the last one) Walking back to one's cabin ( after 6pm) from the Pool Area, Spa ,Computer room or an add hock visit to the Purser's desk is when common sense kicks in. You'll offend no one, take no notice just continue on your way ;)
Well said Bell Boy :)

The evening dress codes principally apply to main public venues e.g. Cocktail Bars ... and Theatre ( although there are some who may disagree with the last one)

Cue for me to mention once again the American I saw in the QM2 theatre one evening: without a jacket, in a T shirt and wearing a Vote Trump baseball cap.

Walking back to one's cabin ( after 6pm) from the Pool Area, Spa ,Computer room or an add hock visit to the Purser's desk is when common sense kicks in. You'll offend no one, take no notice just continue on your way

I recently got back to my cabin on a formal night, got undressed then realised I needed to visit the Purser's Desk. I decided not to put my dinner suit, dress shirt, bow tie, etc back on and went down dressed casually - these things happen!

I would never think that wearing day clothes even on a formal night before you change would be a problem. As for the spa, they do have changing rooms, and you can make your way to your room to change for dinner with no problem. I have yet to be accosted by the "Clothing Police" checking to see that I have on 'proper' attire.

partial quote

Cue for me to mention once again the American I saw in the QM2 theatre one evening: without a jacket, in a T shirt and wearing a Vote Trump baseball cap.

...quote]

Teddy, are you sure it was an American? I hear that outfit is very popular in Russia...could have been a FAKE baseball cap ? (Sorry, can't pick an emoticon to go with that - oh wait, here's something orange:mad: <- :o

From my experience this week on QE there is not a 'hard' 6pm start but a phased change over an hour or so.

Sitting in Commodores at 6pm on an informal night you would see men start to arrive wearing jackets from 6pm, but men in shirtsleeves and both men and women in blue jeans would be there until 7 to 7.30.

One man who came into Commodores later around 10pm wearing a hoody and the waiter was happy to serve him.

From my experience this week on QE there is not a 'hard' 6pm start but a phased change over an hour or so.

Sitting in Commodores at 6pm on an informal night you would see men start to arrive wearing jackets from 6pm, but men in shirtsleeves and both men and women in blue jeans would be there until 7 to 7.30.

One man who came into Commodores later around 10pm wearing a hoody and the waiter was happy to serve him.

Certainly not my experience. By about 6.15pm, wait staff consistently/insistently told denizens of the Commodore Club that the dress code was in force. FOD was always cut short as a result. That was on QM2 in Jan 2016.

While I get that the dress code comes into force at 6pm, it's disappointing that they can't at least let one part of the Commodore Club stay out of the code until at least 7pm. Given how many people are forced to leave (and how few had entered to replace), I can't help but feel Cunard loses out on some drinks money with this practice.

Not everyone wants to dress up for dinner at 4-5pm!

Certainly not my experience. By about 6.15pm, wait staff consistently/insistently told denizens of the Commodore Club that the dress code was in force. FOD was always cut short as a result. That was on QM2 in Jan 2016.

Well things have obviously changed in 2017, because my experience every night this week has been the opposite. I have not seen a single person challenged.

Not everyone wants to dress up for dinner at 4-5pm!

Absolutely. I have just seen a guy walk past in full formal wear at 5.30! It is the middle of the afternoon as far as I am concerned.

partial quote

...quote]

Teddy, are you sure it was an American? I hear that outfit is very popular in Russia...could have been a FAKE baseball cap ? (Sorry, can't pick an emoticon to go with that - oh wait, here's something orange:mad: <- :o

Very good!

By about 6.15pm, wait staff consistently/insistently told denizens of the Commodore Club that the dress code was in force.

While I get that the dress code comes into force at 6pm, it's disappointing that they can't at least let one part of the Commodore Club stay out of the code until at least 7pm. Given how many people are forced to leave (and how few had entered to replace), I can't help but feel Cunard loses out on some drinks money with this practice.

Unfortunately I respectfully disagree.

My wife and I did originally sailed on another line in the past (HAL) where the dress code was close to the Cunard after 6 and we enjoyed the common relationship we felt with those others in proper dress.

Yes like Cunard has Informal, we have experienced in the past Resort Casual on Caribbean Cruises which was thru out the ship because of a BBQ on one of the open decks.

Sailing on the QE2 and Caronia and now the QM2, we purposely selected the Cunard Line for the particular style of past traditional sailing experience and not those other lines with Free Style Dining and dress.

As I said in the past, we enjoy the common relationship we felt with proper dress with other passengers thru out the ship. Not trying to relive Titanicish, but that is why we sail with the Cunard for the experience.

I do believe that all the bars and not just he Commodore Club do expect lows around the Dinner Times but make up for it later in the evening.

We even experienced once in the Britannia Restaurant seeing a improperly dressed passenger turned away at the restaurant door to return later in proper dress.

Cunard Dress Code sets a certain tone thru out the ship that most passengers are attracted to book. Those trying it for the first time may not care to book again if it's not there cup of tea..

Unfortunately I respectfully disagree.

My wife and I did originally sailed on another line in the past (HAL) where the dress code was close to the Cunard after 6 and we enjoyed the common relationship we felt with those others in proper dress.

Yes like Cunard has Informal, we have experienced in the past Resort Casual on Caribbean Cruises which was thru out the ship because of a BBQ on one of the open decks.

Sailing on the QE2 and Caronia and now the QM2, we purposely selected the Cunard Line for the particular style of past traditional sailing experience and not those other lines with Free Style Dining and dress.

As I said in the past, we enjoy the common relationship we felt with proper dress with other passengers thru out the ship. Not trying to relive Titanicish, but that is why we sail with the Cunard for the experience.

I do believe that all the bars and not just he Commodore Club do expect lows around the Dinner Times but make up for it later in the evening.

We even experienced once in the Britannia Restaurant seeing a improperly dressed passenger turned away at the restaurant door to return later in proper dress.

Cunard Dress Code sets a certain tone thru out the ship that most passengers are attracted to book. Those trying it for the first time may not care to book again if it's not there cup of tea..

I am one of the best dressed passengers on every voyage. Even my day clothes are nicer than most people's evening wear. But I do not believe that 6pm is a suitable changeover time. Perhaps 6.30 or 7pm is more appropriate.

That said, I understand that Cunard attracts a much older demographic than other lines and some of these people struggle to stay awake past the appetiser during the early seating. But it is somewhat absurd to see people dressed formally at 4/5pm in the afternoon.

Cunard is my favourite line because of the history, tradition and formality. But asking people to be dressed for dinner several hours before they actually dine needs a rethink.

Well things have obviously changed in 2017, because my experience every night this week has been the opposite. I have not seen a single person challenged.

Absolutely. I have just seen a guy walk past in full formal wear at 5.30! It is the middle of the afternoon as far as I am concerned.

Good to know that people were not challenged. Sure, by 7pm I'd be saying that people should start looking at leaving public areas. However, as you say, 5.30 and even 6pm is still afternoon really. Afternoon tea doesn't end until 4.30pm at earliest!

I've often been sat in the Commodore Club on QM2 still in daytime casual clothes around 5.30/6pm.

The arrival of several Britannia "early seating" passengers in their formal wear for a pre-dinner cocktail has always been a visual indicator to me that it is time to take a stroll on deck, or return to my cabin (depending on the weather). Or if with friends and enjoying the conversation, we often use the outside scenic lifts to descend to the Carinthia Lounge (where our attire will cause no comment).

I'm sure that these newly arrived passengers will wish to enjoy the sophisticated cocktail atmosphere in the Commodore Club (piano in the background etc) with pre-dinner drinkies on a grand ocean liner, whilst dressed in their best, just as much as I will a couple of hours later.

I wouldn't want to spoil this for them by hanging around the place dressed casually.

Best wishes to all :)

Edited by pepperrn

I've often been sat in the Commodore Club on QM2 still in daytime casual clothes around 5.30/6pm.

The arrival of several Britannia "early seating" passengers in their formal wear for a pre-dinner cocktail has always been a visual indicator to me that it is time to take a stroll on deck, or return to my cabin (depending on the weather). Or if with friends and enjoying the conversation, we often use the outside scenic lifts to descend to the Carinthia Lounge (where our attire will cause no comment).

I'm sure that these newly arrived passengers will wish to enjoy the sophisticated cocktail atmosphere in the Commodore Club (piano in the background etc) with pre-dinner drinkies on a grand ocean liner, whilst dressed in their best, just as much as I will a couple of hours later.

I wouldn't want to spoil this for them by hanging around the place dressed casually.

Exactly my view.

Consideration goes a long way and is always appreciated.

Agree completely with the last two comments, when early diners arrive in a venue for a pre dinner drink and I am still in my day wear. That is my signal to finish my drink and retire to shower and change for my evening of fun.

Edited by Pennbank

Agree completely

So do I.

I got stuck into a book in the library on deck two, didn't notice the time and felt awful, slinking back to the cabin at 6.15pm.

If 6pm is the stated code change over, then we abide by it and if I have cause to go to a main public area i.e. front desk etc, before a shower and dressing for the evening, I will pop on a decent pair of trousers and top in order to respect those already glammed up for drinks/dinner.

Agree completely with the last two comments, when early diners arrive in a venue for a pre dinner drink and I am still in my day wear. That is my signal to finish my drink and retire to shower and change for my evening of fun.

So do I.

I got stuck into a book in the library on deck two, didn't notice the time and felt awful, slinking back to the cabin at 6.15pm.

If 6pm is the stated code change over, then we abide by it and if I have cause to go to a main public area i.e. front desk etc, before a shower and dressing for the evening, I will pop on a decent pair of trousers and top in order to respect those already glammed up for drinks/dinner.

It's the venue that is as important to abiding by the rules.

Can't say I've seen too many folk in formal wear in any of Cunard's libraries: let alone enjoying a drink.

This is a straight forward class comment. Anyone who does not understand this has a social skills problem.

Regards John